What's new
What's new

RFQ - Small turned rod, 230 pieces

IAmAlex

Aluminum
I am looking to have 230 pieces made of a very simple turned part. This is an ideal part for someone with a small hobby/garage shop with open machine time.

The dimensions of the part are .315''-.002 DIA x 4.70'' +/-.012 Long, with a .040'' +/- .012 x 45 deg. chamfer on both ends. Surface finish of 1.6. Material is 4130 steel. I am looking for delivery ASAP. I will buy material and have it shipped directly to you.

I have my own shop but do not have time to run these parts. I do not have time to deal with nonconforming parts, so please do not contact me if you are not capable of producing in-spec parts. I will provide a drawing if/when I issue a PO.

Please PM me with any offers/questions.

Thanks.

...This is an ideal part for someone with a small hobby/garage shop with open machine time...

The dimensions of the part are .315''-.002 DIA x 4.70'' +/-.012 Long, with a .040'' +/- .012 x 45 deg. chamfer on both ends. Surface finish of 1.6. Material is 4130 steel. I am looking for delivery ASAP...

...I do not have time to deal with nonconforming parts, so please do not contact me if you are not capable of producing in-spec parts...

After 100 or so views and no responses I'm thinking the pros on here have decided to pass on this one. You comments about hobby shops
and non-conforming parts sorta suggests that you're looking for a pro job at a hobby shop price--not something that's going to win a lot of hearts
here. Just speculation on my part but that's how I see it. And holding that diam. over that length isn't exactly going to be a piece of cake--there
will be a lot of spring to deal with. Can there be a dimple in the outer end for a centre?

After 100 or so views and no responses I'm thinking the pros on here have decided to pass on this one. You comments about hobby shops
and non-conforming parts sorta suggests that you're looking for a pro job at a hobby shop price--not something that's going to win a lot of hearts
here. Just speculation on my part but that's how I see it. And holding that diam. over that length isn't exactly going to be a piece of cake--there
will be a lot of spring to deal with. Can there be a dimple in the outer end for a centre?

.315" is 8 mm standard rod. The only issue I see is the finish. By my charts, that is super finishing.

Tom

LKeithR, Yes there can be an 1/8'' Max center at either end. I should have mentioned that before. As for the hobby/garage shop, I only mentioned that because this is an awfully simple part and I am getting absurdly high prices locally because everyone is swamped here. I am willing to pay a hobbyist, pro, etc. a REASONABLE price for the parts I need, plus extra because I would like them ASAP. I am also not looking to pay an aerospace shop $200/hour to run these because they'll have $5,000 into quality paperwork before the stock even hits the machine. When I need aerospace work, it's a different story.

TDegenhart, I would have to strongly disagree with you. A 1.6(63) is, in my opinion, far from super finishing. You are still well within an easy turning finish. If it was a 0.8(32) or a 0.4(16) I might be more inclined to agree.

On it's way being shipped to the machine shop, I would have that rod dropped off at a centerless grind shop,
this is done all the time for swiss cnc shops.
The it's a simple chamfer and part off job.

On it's way being shipped to the machine shop, I would have that rod dropped off at a centerless grind shop,

I am actually looking at this right now. Out of curiosity, is there typically a big difference between buying bar stock and having it ground versus buying "swiss-ready" stock? I would guess swiss-ready would be cheaper as they are doing big runs of nominal sizes day in and day out. But I've been wrong before.

I agree that the surface the ground surface will be fine for this spec. However, what's the minimum order at a local grinding shop? The guys I use in Chicago lose interest at 2500 lbs. This is going to be a 25 lb order.

I am actually looking at this right now. Out of curiosity, is there typically a big difference between buying bar stock and having it ground versus buying "swiss-ready" stock? I would guess swiss-ready would be cheaper as they are doing big runs of nominal sizes day in and day out. But I've been wrong before.

My neighbor has 10 swiss, and it all gets drop shipped to the grind shop,
so the suppliers don't want to sell preground stock.

My neighbor has 10 swiss, and it all gets drop shipped to the grind shop,
so the suppliers don't want to sell preground stock.

This is not always the case. I regularly purchase "ground and polished" stock from my material suppliers. They do not always have it available in all sizes and materials, but for standard materials and sizes, it is usually easy to get.

This is not always the case. I regularly purchase "ground and polished" stock from my material suppliers. They do not always have it available in all sizes and materials, but for standard materials and sizes, it is usually easy to get.

Yes, 4140-prehard is easy to find in P&G.

.315 don't sound like a stock size eh ?

Apparently my neighbor is in the same boat.

TDegenhart, I would have to strongly disagree with you. A 1.6(63) is, in my opinion, far from super finishing. You are still well within an easy turning finish. If it was a 0.8(32) or a 0.4(16) I might be more inclined to agree.

I guess you didn't specify the finish carefully. That's what happens when you mix english and metric without clearly saying what you want.

Tom

It's pretty easy to tell usually when someone mixes up the S/F spec's if you know the conversion at all.
Especially when you see that the OD is 8mm.

Where I got cornfused was when I got a spec of .025 a cpl weeks ago. :willy_nilly:

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hello and good morning, is this job still available? I have access to machines with more than enough capability to make these parts. Might even have the material in house. Good luck

Back