What's new
What's new

RFQ: Steel Spacer

alex3000

Plastic
Hello,

I am looking to have a spacer fabricated for my racecar and found this fantastic forum. I need two spacers made for myself but if someone wants to quote me on creating a batch I believe I could sell them on forums etc.

Anyway. The pieces need to be 4mm thick steel and should be as follows.

4lug4potbrakes2-spacer.jpg

Shipping would be to PA. 18914.

Thanks everyone for your time!

Tolerances? Especially on the thickness and flatness.

Not sure what is too big an ask but thickness and flatness are pretty key. It will be sandwiched between a hub and rotor though so maybe not too critical.

does +/- .1mm or .004" seem reasonable?

Also, I do have a DXF file of the piece which I believe opens in CAD. (I did not create this design so sorry if unsure of details)

Do some real thinking about how good this needs to be... this is a case where you could get these burned out of plate on a laser for almost nothing, or it could be ground and machined for a whole ton more money.

...It will be sandwiched between a hub and rotor though so maybe not too critical...

The flatter they are the better--to reduce or eliminate wobble--so grinding the faces would probably be best but I've seen rotor
spacers made from a variety of materials. It really depends on how good you need them to be and what you can sell them
for...

...this is a case where you could get these burned out of plate on a laser for almost nothing,
or it could be ground and machined for a whole ton more money...

Exactly, except for potential material thickness variations laser cutting would be more than adequate for this...

The flatter they are the better--to reduce or eliminate wobble--so grinding the faces would probably be best but I've seen rotor
spacers made from a variety of materials. It really depends on how good you need them to be and what you can sell them
for...

Exactly, except for potential material thickness variations laser cutting would be more than adequate for this...

I suppose the only real concern is flatness. Thickness tolerance could be much higher, like .5mm, as long as it's even across the whole spacer.

As for material I was just thinking mild steel, but it could be whatever is laying around, aluminum would work as well but figured it is more expensive. This thing doesn't have to be super perfect.

Anyone want to help me out?

I did find some companies online that specialize in custom wheel spacers but thought I'd give this community a shot. You guys can let me know if I'm off base with my request.

I have made many a wheel spacer, and even dually:nutter: spacers.

Most of the time, 1/4" Mic-6, cast plate, plate will work, as the flatness is within 0.003"

Having said that, if standard 1/4" A36 steel is used, it will be all over the place.

Doug.

I have made many a wheel spacer, and even dually:nutter: spacers.

Most of the time, 1/4" Mic-6, cast plate, plate will work, as the flatness is within 0.003"

Having said that, if standard 1/4" A36 steel is used, it will be all over the place.

Doug.

Thanks for the input. A quick search and it seems MIC-6 cast plates smallest standard size is 1/4"in so like 6.5mm I'm not sure that would work.

This isn't technically a wheel spacer, it's actually a brake rotor spacer. The only reason I make the distinction is because it is needed to center a rotor between a caliper, so the difference of 2.5mm is more critical than just to space out a wheel.

Bummer A36 would not work...

Back