What's new
What's new

Square hole help

plothoundsman

Cast Iron
I am quoting a hot job ( 30 days ) for a new costumer, seems like I very well may get the job as well . The problem I have is the square hole . I have attached a photo of the part , 22MM hole C11 tolerance I think , 6.299 long , any suggestions or help on this square hole would be greatly appreciated . Like I said parts to be delivered by the end of Sept, at least 16pcs, they will buy 32 or 48 at a time , should be a long going order since the Co. has a long term contract. I can do all the machine work other than the hole. Located in Black Mountain NC.

Thanks Guys ,
Regards Eddie

Attachments

• photo ALUM.JPG
    photo ALUM.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 289
May want to box it in to broach a thin wall part. That may mean to hold sizes closer than print to fit box.
Not for hole size but for better life of the broach.
Broaching is almost the lowest cost manufacturing next to drilling, shaping and planning..
But it takes a very solid set-up.
May be best to start at top of size limit so broach can have more re-sharpenings.

I see they now have drilling of square holes but special machines and special spindles are required.

Thanks Anti-Matter for the link on the broach , I got a lot of machines ( mostly pretty busy ) don't have a broach machine tho , most of my broaching is done on a Vertical mill or lathe , since the only press I have is a little hand pumper. Hey Reedeprentice , how about dropping me a PM , lets quote this part ? You could call me as well if you like . Was hopping to find someone close , but what the Heck , that's what UPS is for !

HELP !!! Not looking so good on the broach side of things , part is so long 6.3 inches , seems like it is gonna take a special broach , $5000 tooling and broach charge ( not in the budget ) good lord have mercy ! Back to the drawing board , anybody got a wire EDM that might be able to cut this square hole out ? I hate the thought of grinding my own tool and stroking this stinking hole out with one of my mills , I could do it but don't want too. Any help out there guys ?
PS My engineer is just to banged up on work, to even think about getting our wire EDM up at this time . And I honestly don't have the experience or knowledge to run the EDM if it was in service. Waiting down here in the beautiful Mtns of NC. Ed

You should be able to slug this part out all together on the WEDM. I assume by the picture that its all straight walls? Clamp a bar the width of the table with some start holes for your square hole, indicate it in and load the program, go home for the night. If you have the table space, you could do all of these in your sleep.

That's a pretty long LOC for a broach, unless the broach is 6 feet long or you use 3 progressive broaches. And way too long for a rotary broach. A WEDM would be easiest. A keyseater might do it but it's pretty small dia. to start.

Agree this is not a job for a rotary broach. BTW, you can synchronize a rotary broach with a part to get (for example) a square hole aligned with the part sides, but having to arrange that, especially within nice parallelism tolerances, is a second reason (beyond hole depth) to avoid rotary broaching this example.

Back