What's new
What's new

Surface Treatments (Nitriding, Case Hardening, Electropolishing, etc...)

Eccentroid

Plastic
Right now, I'm in a situation. I need my stainless parts to be hard so that thet dont gall/cold weld. I can machine each pair of mating parts out of 17-4 stainless, but I must attach them by threads or a hot/cold fit, which is more expensive and less durable than TIG welding. I would have another option if one of you guys/gals could give me a case hardening/nitriding/kolsterizing recipe. This way I could weld and machine it all out of 304SS, then harden the surface. I care only a little bit about corrosion resistance; these parts are only used with sugars and an occasional citric acid passivation that gets down to 2.3PH. Thank You!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If all you need is surface hardness, do a Google search for nitride hardening of 300 series stainless steel and you'll find a number of companies that do it. I you're trying to DIY it may be too expensive to set up the equipment needed.

If you've got point loading and need deeper hardness the nitride method may not work for you.

If all you need is surface hardness, do a Google search for nitride hardening of 300 series stainless steel and you'll find a number of companies that do it. I you're trying to DIY it may be too expensive to set up the equipment needed.

If you've got point loading and need deeper hardness the nitride method may not work for you.
Do you want me to cower and run to the nearest vendor without attempting my own process? I have read of surface hardening techniques including nitriding, plasma nitriding, and case hardening for 300 series steels. I've done case hardening and it's pretty easy with an electric furnace. I've studied and worked in plasma physics, so I don't see why I couldn't set up a plasma nitriding process.

The surface doesn't need much strength or corrosion resistance. I'm just hoping for someone who has done it before to share their experience or at least point me to a book that is practical and not one of those aerospace standards that gets way into minutae.

Whoa hoss. You're new in this part of town. You are asking for advice from a group of people with widely varying backgrounds and experience. First you come here asking for advice on a particular process, then when someone gives you a piece of practical advice, you turn around and tell us how superior you are and knowledgeable about what you are asking advice for. Why even bother us? Just go off and do it.

I learned this the hard way.

Tom

I would buy the following book.. ASM Handbook Volume 5: Surface Engineering. Don’t bother trying to find a free copy or one in a library. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I would buy the following book.. ASM Handbook Volume 5: Surface Engineering. Don’t bother trying to find a free copy or one in a library. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for the advice, I just bought it. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow in on a recipe...

If you're looking for hardness and corrosion resistance, send it to Dynamic Solutions for dynablue/nitrowear after you weld it up.

Yes, I get you want to do it yourself. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and send it out and quit wasting your time.

Look at Nitronic 60. It is known for it gall-resistant properties. N60 is similar to 304 in strength and corrosion resistance but is worse to machine. Changing one or both pieces to N60 could solve your problem.

Back