Adding casters to lathe for moving/transit? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the risk of piling on:
    Yes, rigging to the liftgate for the short ride (hopefully) up is required with casters. Don't scrimp on this.

In general, if you're putting casters on a lathe, strive for an 'underslung' arrangement where the caster supports are high on the lathe, and the lathe itself is only raised an inch or so. Just enough to clear average terrain. Try to avoid raising an already-top-heavy machine an additional 6 or 8 inches in the air. With the underslung approach, if a caster fails that corner only drops an inch.

Glad it worked out for you.

Chip

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started out letting a few shops try these post dolly prototypes out. It's just a matter of mounting a couple of sockets on every heavy tool in the shop and 2 dollies is all that's needed unless you have a 20 to press brake and then it's just a matter of adding sockets and dollies. Right now I can't make enough of them to supply the demand.

The post can be lifted with a "racing jack" or any other jack available and just insert the pin in the post at desired height or tighten the lock bolt. Northern has a nice china 3 ton rolling floor jack for about $220 shipped. I have a customer with a 75 ton hydraulic press that bends and forms long pieces of stair railing and needs to move the press into the center of the shop and back to the wall most every day. He's a very happy customer.

I move most heavy stuff with the tool base not over an inch above the floor. The lower the load while still allowing it to move the better. The sockets are never the exact same angle along with load flex which changes caster leveling as well. To correct that I added the camber adjustment to the post and it's worked well.

The post will invert and extend high enough to attach chains on the end of the post to load tools on our small equipment trailer or a low-bed still using the same lower sockets. I wouldn't recommend rolling the lathe in the picture on a roll back or ramp trailer as it's going to be a bit top heavy on the dollies. A common four foot 2" structural bar or longer can be plugged and locked into the sockets for lifting with any machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plasmacam-dolly.jpg   bridgeport-socket.jpg   lathe-dolly.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)