What's new
What's new

Any of new "city delivery" commercial mini vans haul a sheet of plywood w/door shut ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Any of new "city delivery" commercial mini vans haul a sheet of plywood w/door shut ?

rear door that is. Looks like probably not, but just asking'....... Only choice might be used "personal" vehicle like Chrysler Grand mini van with "Stow and Go" seats, huh ? Or removing seats from Honda or Toyota mini van ?

rear door that is. Looks like probably not, but just asking'....... Only choice might be used "personal" vehicle like Chrysler Grand mini van with "Stow and Go" seats, huh ? Or removing seats from Honda or Toyota mini van ?

Motionguru's linky to the Costco sight brought up those Ford Transit vans, and I see they now come with seats.

It seems the big 3 all have offerings like this.

I think the Nissan (albeit not as small) has a picture showing full sized sheets inside the van.

217 Metris Commercial Van | Mercedes-Benz Vans

But I would buy a transit personally...
Yeah but the Transit specs I looked at indicated only 80" or so from behind the seats to the rear door...do they offer them in different lengths ?

Re the Mercedes, yeah, figured that one would do it but assumed it would be too expensive.....the base MSRP is not horrible at around $28K but every one I see for sale is actually more like $32K and up.

Yeah but the Transit specs I looked at indicated only 80" or so from behind the seats to the rear door...do they offer them in different lengths ?

Re the Mercedes, yeah, figured that one would do it but assumed it would be too expensive.....the base MSRP is not horrible at around $28K but every one I see for sale is actually more like $32K and up.

So I plan to buy a Transit next year and have looked at them extensively... you have all the option of length and height. Depends on if you need to fit it in a home size garage. I am planning on getting a mid roof long van, want to have a second row of seats and adequate cargo room. Another friend bought one recently and went mid roof short length so it would fit in his garage at home. At $32k for a Metris its not like you are going to get any brand new van much cheaper. Metris feels just like a T4 Eurovan, a slightly larger and slightly beefier mini van. The Transit while driving very nicely (very car like) is still the size of a large van, and is a bit more of a pain to park.

So I plan to buy a Transit next year and have looked at them extensively... you have all the option of length and height. Depends on if you need to fit it in a home size garage. I am planning on getting a mid roof long van, want to have a second row of seats and adequate cargo room. Another friend bought one recently and went mid roof short length so it would fit in his garage at home. At $32k for a Metris its not like you are going to get any brand new van much cheaper. Metris feels just like a T4 Eurovan, a slightly larger and slightly beefier mini van. The Transit while driving very nicely (very car like) is still the size of a large van, and is a bit more of a pain to park.
OK, so now I'm not clear why you like the Transit better than the Metris...are you thinking high Mercedes repair costs down the road, more Ford dealerships, actual vehicle spec preferences or ?

So the Metris is awesome if you can live within the size... if it fit my needs its a hands down winner as far as convenience, driving characteristics, and being able to park anywhere (ramps). I just need a bigger van for what I want to do. If you were comparing the short low roof Transit to the Metris I would probably buy a Metris... but when you compare the mid/high and medium/long Transits you are really talking about a totally different size/class of vehicle.

So the Metris is awesome if you can live within the size... if it fit my needs its a hands down winner as far as convenience, driving characteristics, and being able to park anywhere (ramps). I just need a bigger van for what I want to do. If you were comparing the short low roof Transit to the Metris I would probably buy a Metris... but when you compare the mid/high and medium/long Transits you are really talking about a totally different size/class of vehicle.
This afternoon I called our "local" Mercedes dealer, figuring they wouldn't have any commercial vehicles, but could direct me to which dealer did....but to my surprise they did sell them and even have two Metris in stock. Turns out the they are made in Spain and "put together" right here in SC....just 60 miles away in Charleston. As such the destination charges are low and the prices lower than I expected...like $26,400
"out the door" for the basic model.

The one thing the basic model doesn't have that I would want is cruise control, but naturally to get that you have to creep up on price quite a bit to the next level package which is more like 3,000 more bucks....but for that you also get a wood floor, can choose a color other than white and a few other things.

Wonder if aftermarket cruise controls are still available for vehicles or has the unique electronics of modern vehicles put a dent in that market ?

I wouldn't even start to think of even considering putting aftermarket cruise in a Mercedes... we are in the CANBUS era. Hook one up to a scanner and see how much shit is going on.

I'm not sure how close the US Transits are to the European Transits, but all of the European Transits will take 8'x4' sheets as load. Even my 25 year old SWB wreck did ten years back :D. The long wheelbase versions are needed if you want a crew-cab version,

Similarly, mercedes Sprinters are similar dimensions over here.

I'm curious to see how these vans do with salt and rust here in the midwest. I know the older Sprinter vans seem to rust pretty badly.

I wouldn't even start to think of even considering putting aftermarket cruise in a Mercedes... we are in the CANBUS era. Hook one up to a scanner and see how much shit is going on.
The cruise control on my Hino cab over was an old windshield wiper wedged between the "gas" pedal and the ashtray....seeing as it needed to be "floored" 90 percent of the interstate time anyway. Windshield washer blade was bent to the point it served similar purpose to a mouse trap....just barely touch it and it would release.

Still, obviously a real cruise control is infinitely better and safer...even my Mitsubishi Fuso cabover I bought new in the early 90's had cruise control, plus exhaust brakes.

I bought a Metris beginning of the year. Love it so far. I've managed to put 22K miles on it already, its been coast to coast twice. Very comfortable, very nice to drive, large rear doors, 24mpg. Mine is loaded up so was $41K by the time I got out the door. The rear seats are heavy as hell and a real pain to get out. No stow and go since this is a rear wheel drive vehicle. I like the flat rear cargo area though, even has some half way decent tie down points.

The one thing the basic model doesn't have that I would want is cruise control, but naturally to get that you have to creep up on price quite a bit to the next level package which is more like 3,000 more bucks....but for that you also get a wood floor, can choose a color other than white and a few other things.

Wonder if aftermarket cruise controls are still available for vehicles or has the unique electronics of modern vehicles put a dent in that market ?

Same here, my base model Taco does not have cruise control*, nor intermittent wipers.
That's a $1600 package to get those items.....

*It does, however have a stoopid touch screen radio.....jeesh

The modern entertainment systems are the component most likely to be dinged in owner surveys, OF ANY vehicle.

My honda Fit radio cannot show the station frequency, unless I push a button or two.
Man-o-Man I wish they offered a "work truck option"...

The steering wheel buttons are actually nice, as I can change stations, knowing to tag
the button 5 times for this, 3 for that, etc.
However, reaching up to turn down the volume knob, my fat, hairy knuckles brush the screen,
and change the station.
Also, my old truck had actual buttons, I could easily feel which one I wanted, while
not taking my eyes off the road.

Saw the Metris and one of the smaller Mercedes Sprinter models today at the dealer, inside and out. Was surprised I liked the Sprinter better....so much more storage space and height (even on standard height model) inside and a little more refined seeming. Didn't drive either one yet as not ready to pull trigger yet on either but it was interesting.

One irritant is the Sprinter was the last "work model" the dealer had and 2016 vs 2017 on the Metris and they can't even get any 2017 Sprinter's so would have to wait on 2018 models if that was an issue. And yet since the Sprinter is harder to get, they will "deal" less on those, even considering it is a year older. Same stupid lack of cruise control issue.

Sprinter will carry 3,500 lb load vs 2,500 lb on Metris, diesel vs gas...about same mpg either one. Sprinter proven and made in Germany, Metris not around long enough to know long term reliability and made in Spain.

Interestingly, starting with 2019 models there will be a major design change in the Sprinter and they will be manufactured in Ladson, SC.... just west of Charleston. With Boeing, Volvo and now Mercedes Sprinter we are becoming more manufacturing oriented around here. Doesn't do me any good machine sales wise, but just find it interesting.

OTOH, Bose (Wave Radio division) just moved their manufacturing from Ladson, SC to Mexico last year ! Which is surprising they would wait so long to do that....seems like if that was a desirable option they would have done it years ago....maybe competition or technology forced their hand....never see Wave Radio commercials any more, but in their heyday they were priced high enough decent profits were possible "made in America" I guess...now, maybe not.

But the question remains....4 x 8 sheet or not, can you haul a Bridgeport in one,
with a pallet jack ?.....:D

Back