What's new
What's new

Anyone here have an electric pallet jack with 8 foot forks ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
If so, can you look underneath and determine if the forks could be cut off just beyond the front wheels, and how long the forks would be in that case ? (for pallet use there is the added complication of the small entry wheels)

We have a 8 foot Crown pallet jack.
You could cut the forks just flush with the front of the
lift wheels. This would leave you with 62" of fork.
And FYI this model DOES have the Rabbit button!

--Doozer

We have a 8 foot Crown pallet jack.
You could cut the forks just flush with the front of the
lift wheels. This would leave you with 62" of fork.
And FYI this model DOES have the Rabbit button!

-
That sounds promising.....any idea how much longer it would end up if I wanted to re-create a normal enclosed end with the little pallet entry wheel (or sometimes just a solid skid) ?

And just to clarify....to be sure there is nothing under the fork beyond the wheels except for the pallet entry wheels at the tip, right ? (i.e. so my idea of cutting the forks shorter is not insane)

There is no entry wheel on this Crown.
The forks of course as press formed channel.
In front of the lift wheels, the open channel is
closed with a plate (boxed) and the bottom
then tapers up, about 1" over a foot, forming
a bottom taper. When approaching a pallet
with the "slats" on the floor, this taper allows
the fork to ride over the pallet slat and then
the lift wheel can enter the pallet.

--Doozer

PS- There needs to be at least 150lbs (2 car batteries)
on the pallet or the pallet jack will push the pallet away
instead of entering a pallet which has slats to climb over.

There is no entry wheel on this Crown.
Interesting.... now I wonder if the regular 48" Crown electric pallet jacks have entry wheels...or does Crown just taper the underside of the tips to accomplish the same purpose...

They have been made both ways over the years- It has always been a problem that ranges from cheap pallets with no chamfer on the bottom boards to stringer boards being out of spec as to not being full height to sealed slippery floors that let the pallet slide along. It is still a problem that there is no one easy standard answer to. One thing I have found that works in MOST cases is to tap the lift button to let the forks raise ever so little that it allows the slope or roller to get in a little further then lower the forks down and hope that it pinches the pallet down to hold it to enter - it works most of the time if the floor isn't too polished?

Milacron, I believe you have developed an Obsession with Pallet Jacks and Fork Trucks.;)
It would seem that way lately with all these pallet jack posts wouldn't it ? But what is going on is I am using these things more than ever lately, moving iron from old shop to new shop and at the same time have finally come to the end of the road on the 25+ year old batteries in my numerous electric pallet jacks. So, since a new battery is almost $2,000 I figure I might as well buy a whole 'nuther more modern pallet jack with a 6 year old battery already in it for $2,500 or so....thus some of the chatter of late.

Also, finally set up pallet racking for the first time and find myself thinking how nice it would be to have a "narrow aisle" type of forklift for loading/unloading the pallet racking.

As an aside, I'm curious...why did you use upper case letters on "obsession", etc ? Friend of mine does that on every post title he makes, like he thinks every title he creates is the title of a book... and no matter how much we make fun of him for doing that (another forum) he keeps doing it. But I've never seen it done on a reply...that is really weird.

Back