What's new
What's new

Capacity of a Grove Yard Crane?

alskdjfhg

Diamond
I saw an interesting crane, I attached one of the pictures of it.

Looks similar to a Hyster Karry Krane, but bigger. Would anyone know the lift capacity and boom length? I haven't found anything about it.

Model number, 810-TYC-FFWC. Runs off propane BTW.

Attachments

• 20141211100007671_L.jpg
    20141211100007671_L.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,374
Last edited:
grove designation is usually the last two digits are tons- ten ton crane.
I am not 100% certain on that, but I am pretty sure.
Looking at the repainted tilt cylinder size and length, the boom size, and short length,
I would agree on 10 tons.

That axle and tires ain't off a pick-up truck either...

Thanks Ries, I appreciate it.

That axle and tires ain't off a pick-up truck either...

They struck me too, but the thing has outriggers. Not really easy to easy in the pictures, but it has a control for them in the cab, so I don't think this is like a Karry Krane that can move with a load.

Well is this going have a 10ton capacity with the outriggers up or down? I'd guess with them down, but the listing says the machine weighs 32k, which is getting close to what a 20k forklift would weigh.

Remember that the 10 ton capacity is with the boom damn near vertical. So, if the machine can lift 10 tons at 5 feet from the mast pivot, it can only lift 5 tons at 10 feet.

Also, keep in mind that it is very very difficult to use a yard crane by yourself. It's a two man operation for anything but the simplest of jobs.

Also, keep in mind that it is very very difficult to use a yard crane by yourself. It's a two man operation for anything but the simplest of jobs.

Two man isn't a problem.

Do you think it's 10t with or without the outriggers?

Any guesses about boom length?

I don't know. I've never seen a crane quite like that. I would guess that 10 tons may be with the boom as shown in the pictures. I would guess that the capacity is much less if you swing the boom to the side.

The Pettibone cranes I have seen have a "boom out front" capacity that is the highest.

That bug is cute as the dickens, but dang, its about as old as your equipment. I don't recall ever seeing one like that. I'd guess circa 1960 at the latest. If it weighs 16T, I'd agree with the 10T with the boom up. If you look in person it should have a data plate.

I'd buy it for scrap price if I could afford the trucking. But old hydraulics are always a gamble, even more so when lifting a load. Its difficult to assess the rubber and wire in the hoses, and some of the old stuff doesn't have safety valves on the cylinders if a hose breaks.

I have seen a few of those around here over the years- my guess is Boeing used em, and then surplused em. I remember seeing them for sale used as long ago as 35 years ago, and I have seen em still in a yard as recently as last year. One of the local companies that does plumbing work in the refineries (we have 3 refineries within 20 miles) has a couple of those. So I always thought they were kind of normal.
My guess would be ten tons with boom almost vertical, and outriggers out.

Interesting to look at, not sure I'd want to use it. Scrap price, less cost of trucking is probably right.
My guess on spec questions: 22' boom, if 10T that's with outriggers. Look at hook, doesn't look correct to me for full capacity. I looked at one sort of like this once, and saved money by spending more.

I have been running Groves among other cranes for over forty years and have never seen one of those. It appears to have downriggers for over the side hoisting.
It was mentioned about early rigs not having lock blocks on the cylinders. If it does not have them "Run Forrest Run" Grove does make a dandy little pick and carry deck
that would be real useful at times.

I found this posted on a picture of a cabless model:

Wayne Nicarry, in his late 30s, at the controls of an Industrial 810, Grove’s largest crane at the time (1957) with a capacity of 8-tons at 8ft radius or 10-tons at 4ft.

Wayne Nicarry was one of the founders of Grove Crane.

Fun to google the id. Show on *bay for $16,999 and on the *gr site for $8,319 (save $2,080). Machinetools.com lists it for $8,319 as well. bid-on-equipment shows no offers, next offer $7,475.00, with a disclaimer of "Additional Prep Fees May Apply ".

There's a picture of a very similar one in use at The early days of Grove | News | Vertikal.net . The caption states "Wayne Nicarry, in his late 30s, at the controls of an Industrial 810, Grove’s largest crane at the time (1957) with a capacity of 8-tons at 8ft radius or 10-tons at 4ft."

Grove Crane.jpg

Was going to see how much the trucking would be, if that's reasonable, I'd give the *gr site an offer. If they take it they take it.

Seeing a picture with a person for scale in it helps.

Its a little bit smaller capacity wise than I'd like.

That crane is way bigger than a 10 ton forklift and far more awkward, for yard work perhaps, inside forget about it.

Keep looking for a forklift, it will be the most practical and useful thing you buy.

Steve

I'd love to be able to do that.

But I'm not going to have enough room inside a building for a decent sized forklift.
The plan for material handling inside the shop is that traveling gantry that ya'll were trying to talk me out of and a small nimble forklift for little stuff and pallet racking.

Back