What's new
What's new

Charging fork battery with too small charger, prognosis?

Cannonmn

Stainless
The Clark stacker's 12-125-13 750 AH battery has sat idle for a month and was down to about 23 volts so even though no "correct" charger is available, I'm charging it with a 550 AH automatic charger. I'm bringing a "correct" hi-capacity online but it'll take a while to be ready for use. Am I going to ruin the battery by using the "single shift" charger for one charge? How about if I recharge 3 times using it? This charger begins the charge at 40 amps and ends at 16 amps, after it thinks the battery is charged, a yellow light comes on. This charger has the Exide name on it, pix avl if desired.

40 amps is about a 20 hour rate for that battery, depending on how quickly your charger current drops off as the volts go up, it will take over a day to charge.

Anyhow get it charged asap, 23 volts is mostly dead.

Ok thanks, if taking a long time to charge is the only problem with using the small charger, no problem for us, we use the stacker a few hrs a week usually with days in between uses. If anyone has experienced some other issue with a smaller-than-customary charger, tell us about it please.

Batteries prefer lower rates of charge so if the voltage comes upto float lever or 2.25 or whatever the data sheet specifies as full charge VPC Volts Per Cell then you are good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Thanks, charge took maybe 10 hrs and voltmeter on truck reads approx 27 volts. Added water but didn't have time to take vpc.

Fully charged while charger is applied voltage is 2.25 VPC.

Count the caps and multiply by 2.25 and that is fully charged voltage while float charging (rate less than a couple amps, (0.1 % capacity)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back