Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SBAER,
    I guess for me, I didn't have to pay for this one. My dad had it and I needed to use it so I pulled it out of a shed where it sat for 15 years. I had to replace fuel system components and it runs great now. But now I have an axle issue. I'm not disagreeing about it being one of the crappiest. But, had I spent $1500 to buy it, I definitely wouldn't be a happy camper..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you buy a new Clark, it'll be a Korean made POS with nanny electronics. I've been to the Hyster Yale factory in Mexico. They get final assembly here, but the blood and guts is south of the border. I'll stick with the old stuff.

Parts for these Clarks are cheap. They made bajillions of them. The dealer may have aftermarket parts too, I know mine does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to agree without a drive gear on the one wheel I don't see how it moved if it has an open differential . That being said if there was something keeping the axle shaft from spinning then it would drive the one wheel that had the wheel drive gear . No matter what you will need another one to get it working correctly. Put the lift in gear and spin one axle shaft does the shaft on the other side spin ? if not there is a problem in the spider gears inside the differential if so get a new gear and reassemble. Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    There's no way it can work with the drive gear missing. No way. I think I said that way back at the beginning.
    I've got a theory.

Somebody somewhere broke the gear on the one side. Too cheap to fix it right, they just welded up the spiders, making only one side pull all the time. The weld job finally broke, leaving the lift dead in the water.

I've seen stranger things. It's funny how people will sometimes go to more work "Jerry-rigging" something than it would have taken just to fix it right.

Other than that, I'm with you. There is no way possible for that forklift to move with that gear missing and a open differential.

5. Likes ronf liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone had to fix a spider gear on the inside of the final drive housing? I am getting close to taking the cover off and seeing the inside of it. I just don't think it will provide the necessary clearance to fix the machine, but I may be wrong too. I got to looking at the picture of this diagram, and the gears I will be taking out look like they may fit out of the hole but there won't be much room to navigate. I just really hope I don't have to take the mast and front end apart, that will add a few weeks to the repair...

clark-1.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might as well pull that cover and take a look. If something is screwed up in there, you'll have to fix it before the lift is going again. I doubt you can replace spider gears through a small inspection cover and if they are screwed up, you'll have to remove everything anyway to clean out the metal in the bottom of the housing. You may could use a magnet to clean but that would also be difficult through a small hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like welds on the spider gears broke. Someone probably poked a welding rod through the assembled carrier and goobered it up to make it go. That works for a limited amount of time (maybe 30 years in your case?). To have success, you have to weld the gear the axle splines go into to the carrier. The teeth need to be cut off (otherwise they are stress risers and will crack), everything preheated and the weld needs to be done with low hydrogen rod for alloy steel (I used 8018 with success). I had a beater 73 Bronco when I was a teenager. Not much money was spent on the vehicle, but it went where it was pointed.

I bet you find heavy carnage in the diff carrier and you will have to make a choice between spending way more time and money than it's worth or cludging it together again or scrapping it.

If by some chance the diff is a common pickup or medium duty application you might get it done right on the cheap, but my bet is it's not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not even a transmission. It's really just a differential and forward/reverse with a torque converter.

A 2 wheel drive forklift is generally pretty helpless. A 1 wheel drive lift would be like a beached whale.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    I've got a theory.

Somebody somewhere broke the gear on the one side. Too cheap to fix it right, they just welded up the spiders, making only one side pull all the time. The weld job finally broke, leaving the lift dead in the water. .
    This is what I was thinking all the while I was reading to the end here.
    I bet you find some sort of cob-job inside (either welds, or other) preventing
    the spiders from turning.....up until "the bump".
    If that's the case, your simplest move is more weld/better weld, re-assemble, try to forget
    the cringe factor, and drive on .....for another 30 years.

11. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Little update... I was able to get the brakes pulled off today and I got the differential plate off so I could actually see inside of the differential. The only problem was I couldn't see anything. As I suspected, the hole was too small to work anyway.. so now I get the AWESOME task of splitting this fork. I was telling my brother today, either I'll take it apart, find what's broke, and fix it or take it apart, don't see what's wrong with it and carefully place the parts on a trailer to be scrapped..
    I can't believe I am in the fork this deep and its about to get a hell of a lot worse. I'm just terrified that I will split it and NOT find anything wrong. I plan to pull the mast off and then take the front off separately. Has anyone ever split the front end off of a forklift before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can't really split one like you can a tractor. You have to pull the engine and the mast and drop the trans out the bottom. It's a huge job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ewlsey,
    Looking at the forklift and the diagram it looks like it is doable. Do you have to do this because the weight of the engine/trans is supported by the front end? If the trans has its own support system then you'd be able to. If not, I'm afraid you are probably right

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although I'm not familiar with this particular lift, most drive axles can be pulled out from the front, after removing the mast.

On this lift, is the trans attached to the drive axle or is it connected by driveshaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the Clarks I have seen, the transmission is bolted to the frame rails. The only engine mount is above the rear axle. So, you would have to support the engine if you wanted to leave it in place. I don't know if you can get the torque converter and all that stuff out to separate the trans without pulling the engine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the drive axle and trans all one housing?

You'd think, with all the Clarks around, I would have worked on one. All we ever had in small lifts were Yale, Cat, and Hyster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes. It's a transaxle. Clark made transmissions and axles for all kinds of applications. Lot's of end loaders, graders, tractors, etc used Clark transmissions and axles. They were well built units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At this point I start shopping for a different beater forklift, the premium old forklifts command above scrap value is not that high. Park the beater you have in the weeds in case you need it for parts or until the price of scrap spikes. Scrap prices are pretty low at the moment, its a good time to buy beater forklifts. If you are good at moving heavy stuff and have space this is a better investment strategy than the stock market. Buy a couple more beater forklifts while you are at it.

20. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The transmission and axle are TWO different pieces. If the tranny and motor have their own brackets then I think I will take the mast off and the drive axle off. I will attach a pic of the drive axle assy.
    img_0276.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. They are effectively one piece. You cannot remove one without removing the other. I'm pretty sure the bolts that connect them together are internal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was looking through the floorboard on the right side of the drive axle and all of the bolts can be removed. Some are on the front side and summer on the backside. On the very top and bottom I'm not sure about that.