What's new
What's new

Continental F245 vs F227

ewlsey

Diamond
I have a Continental F245 straight 6 motor. It came in with a blow head gasket. I tore the top end down and in the process of grinding the valve seats I discovered that there is a crack between one of the intake valve seats and the cylinder bore. Apparently this is a common problem with these motor.

So my question is, how similar is this motor to the F227? I think the block is the same, just the bore is smaller. I'm hoping I can find an F227 long block and swap everything from my motor over.

Can anyone confirm if the intake, front cover, etc are the same between the two motors?

You can fix it with Lock N Stitch. After the repair is done put a hard seat in. Goodson has the seats. Dead easy to do. I'v worked on lots of F227s but I don't think I have worked on a 245 so I can't answer your question.

Yeah, I can fix it, but I'd have to stitch it, bore it for a valve seat, then bore it for a sleeve. The motor has already been bored .06 over. That means pull the motor out of the machine and tear apart the bottom end.

By the time I do that I'm overhauling the motor. I'd rather start with something a little more robust.

IMG_0936.jpg

I have PDF copies of Quick Reference Guide, Operators Manual and Overhaul Manuals for Continental Engines. I tried to get them to upload here
but they're too large. Send me a PM and I can email them to you...

Years ago I worked on the parts counter of a Cont. distributor and all bolt on parts should fit no problem. F209-226-227-245 all shared the same basic architecture ,bore centers etc.

...I found them online...

On the Wisconsin Motors site? Wisconsin bought Continental a number of years ago and for quite a while after that you could download all the manuals and literature
for free but the last time I looked they were charging for the privilege. Glad you found them...

I've got a 209 and a 245.. The 245 is a giant POS!! Looks like a drunk 4 year old trippin' on acid
machined the thing..

Go digging around online, they don't even want to rebuild the 244/245.. Apparently they have
VERY thin cyclinder walls and they sleeve them back to the 226/227 size.

My digging has shown that the 226/227 is the same as the 244/245(except for the bore)..
The 209 has smaller bearing journals on the crank and rods.

I think I have the #'s right. 226/227 same motor, just the 227 has higher compression, same for the
244/245.. I'm probably wrong, I know just what I've picked up trying to buy parts.

The 209, 226, and 244 are much older. I know they used the 226 in some Oliver tractors. That would have been in the 50s. I think the mains and crank are different. Also, the Oliver ones were magnito ignition I think.

I'm debating if I'm better off stitching the crack as Moonlight mentioned and sleeving to 227, or finding a 227 and starting from there. I've got it out of the machine. I need to see if the crank has been ground. If it's -.03, I'll probably find another engine. If it's got another grind in it, I might sleeve it.

Then the issue is finding the right sleeve and boring everything out. It's already been bored +.06, so I don't know how much further I can bore it before I hit a water passage. I won't have much of a shoulder at the bottom, so I will need a flanged sleeve.

Wes, everey now and then I offer to let you help clean out some of my shop junk. I have a 227 from a cark C500 120 in pieces. It spun a main bearing and i replaced it with a new motor from ebay. You want this one? call me tomorrow (Thursday)
I also have a Kaiser straight 6, but you may need some adapter kits

Back