What's new
What's new

crank in-----crank out

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
30 years ago I experienced blue water time aboard a US Coast Guard icebreaker--Glacier

upon return to home port one of the Cat 348 600 kw gen sets was replaced by cutting thru successive decks--vertically

the video link here documents crankshaft replacement in one of five main propulsion engines--Sulzer 40S series of dutch cruise liner--Zaandam

surgical precision

Crankshaft exchange on the MS Zaandam cruise ship - YouTube

I watched that video a few days ago (prompted after another I think you'd linked), and was very impressed right up until the end, when they welded in the pusher brackets for block alignment without any effort to contain the weld spatter from getting into the newly cleaned out sump!

Seems a bit of a duff move when you've just replaced a crank and all the other work involved. Still overall an impressive job.

I watched the video also.
Having done that kind of work I was surprised that the crankshaft was not better protected during the move. It would not take much of a slip up to damage the crank.
Anyone else notice the difference in the workers personal protection between the guys in red and the ones in blue.
The block alignment method was sort of lame imho.
That said it looked like difficult rig job.
Ron

I really like how the ram comes out of the bottom of the jack. It sure makes building the cribbing tower a lot easier.

Back