What's new
What's new

Critique my Daewoo 5K electric forklift for sale ad !

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the eBay ad..

Daewoo 5 lb capacity electric forklift w/4 valves and late 213 battery ! | eBay

I don't really expect to sell it via eBay as forklifts tend to be such a "local" thing but I have basically the same ad and photos on the local (Hilton Head Island based) Craigs List..... and kinda surprised that after a couple of weeks with the ad up (which also reaches north to Charleston, SC and south to Savannah, GA) not a single bit of interest in it.

So the question is, how much of a factor IYHO is the dented sheet metal on the "passenger" side ? How much factor is the slightly undersized battery ? The hours ? Anything else ? (besides the obvious that it's electric and not LP, cushion and not pneumatic, etc)

To me, the newish battery is a major plus as that size battery is now about $7,000 new. But the average electric forklift wannabe may not realize this, and/or may be under the delusion that a "refurbished" 14 year old battery is nearly as good as a much newer 3 1/2 year old battery.

Thoughts ?

No idea. Seems like a good deal to me.
I wonder if it would help to go ahead and add 300 lbs of steel plates in the battery compartment so it would definitely have 5K lift capacity ? (I have some steel counterweight plates left over from a tractor that would fit in there nicely)

I am amazed no one has made anything other than insanely low offers (like $2,500*) on this forklift considering how nice it is and with such a nice battery. The funny part is I've been assuming all this time it was probably made in the late 1980's but come to find out today it was made in 1998 ! So, I added that to the title...maybe that will help. 1998 sounds old for a car but sounds pretty darn 'late' for a forklift, to me.

===============================

*The 4 year old battery alone is worth that much...what are these idiots thinking ?? Another eBay humanoid offered $4,000....which sounded on the verge of acceptable....until I read the box of stipulations....that had to include the brand new Cascade side shift/fork positioning attachment and free shipping to Texas !! Which would work out to basically even worse than the $2,500 offer. Had another guy want to "barter" for it....sure, I will barter for green USD....:fight:

good stuff first

I would also just include the charger, what good is it without a charger

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Daewoo 5000 lb electric forklift, runs great, no leaks, 48 volt battery new in Oct. 2013 so, many years of life left before needing refurbishment. The Douglas battery has a 5 year limited warranty...good until Oct 2018

Triple stage mast goes very high (188" to be exact),

no leaks,

excellent tire rubber,

excellent brakes.

Also included is a detail kit with decals and new data plates to restore the truck to like new appearance if you want.

Also aprox 1/2 quart of matching satin yellow touch up paint

Note even the thick mechanics manuals are included...how often do you see that in a used forklift ? Almost never in my experience.

Can load on open semi trailer at no charge (we have a larger forklift that can pick this one up).

Note the rating on the data plate is only 4,200 lbs but that is because when new it was outfitted with a very heavy rotating paper roll attachment. Now it has no attachment, only the (excellent condition) 54" forks. The model BC25S is suppose to designate 2500 kg capacity, which is actually 5,500 lbs. Not sure why Daewoo downgrades the capacity for the US market.

FWIW, I have a brand new Cascade side shift + fork positioning, attachment that would fit this truck I would sell for only $1,500 extra....notice all the hydraulic hoses and connections are already on the truck ready to receive an attachment like this....contact me for details.

I also have a brand new rotating small paper roll attachment that would fit the truck as well.

I have a set of 42 inch forks if you'd prefer shorter (and lighter weight) forks.

48 volt, 3 phase charger available for only $250 extra with the truck if you need a charger (see photo)

The battery, while perfect width and height, is about 6 inches shorter in length than needed to fill the space and therefore may not provide quite enough counterweight to lift 5,000 lbs without adding some steel plate or whatever in the battery compartment space for more counterbalance. (the min. battery weight for 5K capacity listed on the Daewoo data plate is 2,950, whereas this battery is 2,712 lbs... so it's pretty close. Thanks for looking.

good stuff first

I would also just include the charger, what good is it without a charger
Of course one must have a charger...but many folks have more than one (48 volt) electric forklift already and thus already have a charger. Other folks might want to seek out a single phase charger. I suppose I might as well include it since my price for it is a pittance anyway, but that would guarantee whoever bought the truck would end up telling me they either don't need the charger or need a single phase one, in which case I would cringe a bit to just give it away for free essentially....at $250 it is nearly free compared to what this size charger normally sells for in the used market

3B24-6L UD2525 Douglas 3 Phase Automatic Forklift 48 Volt Battery Charger | eBay

It would also guarantee that next month another 48 volt forklift falls into my lap, but without a charger ! (highly unlikely as I'm pretty much thru with live auctions but ya never know.... )

I don't know about your area but you can't hardly give away lifts like that around here. The market is flooded with factories getting rid of them and the people that have a use for a lift like that are comparatively much lower.

There are buyers out there and the price seems fair. You may just have to sit on it for awhile to move it.

I don't know about your area but you can't hardly give away lifts like that around here. The market is flooded with factories getting rid of them and the people that have a use for a lift like that are comparatively much lower.

There are buyers out there and the price seems fair. You may just have to sit on it for awhile to move it.

That would be the problem around here. Way to much risk that the battery goes bad instantly turning the whole thing into a pile of scrap. For occasional use people are going to look for gas, propane, or diesel. The large warehousing operations that can take advantage of the low operating costs of electric probably aren't going to buy off ebay, they will buy from a local dealer.

I dont want to stir the shit but I have been looking at lifts lately, Im looking for 8000 to 10000 lbs propane or diesel dual front pneumatic tires been searching for a month or so. electric and old is scary and thats 19 years old, with newer battery. I was quoted 5900 for a late 80s pneumatic single tire, propane, 8000 lbs lift. high hours (for me anyway 12000 hours) from Home - Central Oregon Forklift these guys. you are at what its worth for my search area but its going to be someone who needs it.

The problem is, most factories and warehouses of any size won't buy anything but new. Most hobbyist and small shops look for pneumatic tires as their property conditions are usually less than ideal.

About your only market for small cushion tire lifts is small to medium size shops and small warehouses where they just need a lift for occasional use.

There is no telling how many 5K or less lifts with very minor problems, that I have been offered for free or scrap price at most. A few years ago, I bought a 7 forklift lot of 5K Toyotas, at about 1/2 scrap market price, most needing nothing more than a propane tank and hot battery. I thought I was going to get rich but soon realized nobody wanted them unless they were dirt cheap. When it was all said and done, I'd have been better off going straight to the scrap yard.

I seriously doubt they are giving away lifts "like this" in terms of the battery age and quality....due to cost, the battery is the prime directive on an electric forklift. And whoever mentioned something about one "going bad" any minute, that is very rare in my experience...most of the time a pretty gradual decline if you keep them "topped off" with charge and water. If neglected, you could have a cell go bad but individual cells can be replaced at not too bad a price.

Of course one must have a charger...but many folks have more than one (48 volt) electric forklift already and thus already have a charger. Other folks might want to seek out a single phase charger. I suppose I might as well include it since my price for it is a pittance anyway, but that would guarantee whoever bought the truck would end up telling me they either don't need the charger or need a single phase one, in which case I would cringe a bit to just give it away for free essentially....at $250 it is nearly free compared to what this size charger normally sells for in the used market

3B24-6L UD2525 Douglas 3 Phase Automatic Forklift 48 Volt Battery Charger | eBay

It would also guarantee that next month another 48 volt forklift falls into my lap, but without a charger ! (highly unlikely as I'm pretty much thru with live auctions but ya never know.... )

you are probably right, I wasn't thinking about 3 phase, plus it gives you a good bargaining chip
'oh, ok I'll throw in the charger'

I have purchased some very cheap (less than scrap) functional forklifts as well. Pneumatic tires are major plus when selling cheap forklifts.
To home shop guys or to business types too poor (or cheap) to pave over the dirt, yes....but to most proper businesses with pavement you get less physical size for capacity with cushion tire forlkifts....expecially once you get above about 6000 lbs capacity. A 15K capacity pneumatic forklift for example is typically a gigantic monster compared to a 15,000 lb cushion tire truck, which is not much physically larger than a 6,000 lb pneumatic.

Cushion tire lifts more rigid and stable as well, better for sensitive loads like machine tools.

Also, at about that capacity (15,000 lb), the price tables start to turn dramatically with cushion versus pneumatic as the capacity increases yet more. The large lumber yard diesel pneumatics of 25,000 lb capacity are often waaaay less expensive than a 25,000 lb LP cushion tire truck. This, because they are more common and get so large you can't use them indoors, masts are so tall they are difficult to road transport, and are less usefull in general....unless you run a lumber yard.

FYI: All lower capacity Lift trucks are down rated at 153" fork height or above and can also be restricted as to degree of tilt. (Safety measure.)

Back