What's new
What's new

Electric Forklift conversion, Part II

SteveBausch

Stainless
Some time ago Milacron asked about possibly converting from battery to egine/generator; I’m picking up the topic.

This is a possible generator:
For Sale: C.E. Niehoff Industrial / Military use generator N1609-1 with Regulator N3240.

We have several available that were removed from display vehicles with virtually no miles before being dismantled so they are virtually new. This is one of the highest amp units that CE Niehoff produces and includes the regulator. A brand new unit like this will run at least $3,000 and another $350 for the regulator.
Voltage: 28

Amps: 570

The forklift controller is rated at 400 amps, the battery is 36 volts.

More will follow...

I was thinking more along the lines of a welder generator, but that looks nice, especially if you can figure a way to adjust the regulator to 36v...

What horsepower is required to run that?

Roughly 23 -25 GI-conservative-rated Diesel HP. Mebbe 18-20 HP, civilian. 80-85% load, 24 X 7X ??

Comparable motor would be the Cummins/Onan, actually Lister-Petter 4 Cyl liquid-cooled and turbocharged one in 15 KVA @ 8000 feet NATO gen set.

Might weigh about the same as the big batteries removed, what with two 12V batteries of its own, a cooling system, fuel tankage, and controls.

Not sure it will fly as well, even so. Needs peaking capability.

Batteries have a short-term over-Amp capability that gen sets need seriously over-built to match. Or batteries.

"If it was as easy as that.." etc.?

We would not have so many already IC-engine FL trucks.

I'm not suggesting this as a practical alternative for this, but generators can meet high peak demands with heavy flywheels.

Roughly 23 -25 GI-conservative-rated Diesel HP. Mebbe 18-20 HP, civilian. 80-85% load, 24 X 7X ??

Comparable motor would be the Cummins/Onan, actually Lister-Petter 4 Cyl liquid-cooled and turbocharged one in 15 KVA @ 8000 feet NATO gen set.

Might weigh about the same as the big batteries removed, what with two 12V batteries of its own, a cooling system, fuel tankage, and controls.

Not sure it will fly as well, even so. Needs peaking capability.

Batteries have a short-term over-Amp capability that gen sets need seriously over-built to match. Or batteries.

"If it was as easy as that.." etc.?

We would not have so many already IC-engine FL trucks.

What ?

No turbine ?.....:D

Certainly a little APU could be sourced surplus.

I vote air cooled diesel, hatz, deutz, or onan maybe? bigger flywheel may allow a smaller displacement engine...or you could go full on rube goldberg and compress some air/air motor for boost at peak loads

What ?

No turbine ?.....:D

Certainly a little APU could be sourced surplus.

Twat's that you say? Cunt hardly HEAR you! Turbo-superchargers and BIG fans on cheap radiators or air-cooled fins aplenty were bad enough!
Ever run an Anthony rough-terrain forklift? Damned motor could class right up there with a tactical nuke warhead, long-term damage it could deal out.

Left critical parts of my 'earing system in the dusty red laterite soil of a long ago gen-set look-alike to a crowded brothel.

Beat all s**t out of getting my guts randomly parceled out to passing breezes, so I still count it a fair deal, even so...

But low-speed and "tactically quiet" evermore, thank you, now!

:(

Just what was it caused all those FL batteries to get the Hell outta Dodge, anyway?

Always "sounded" like a quietly competent deal to me, battery 'lectric MHE?

So get a bunch-o of dewalt's 20v slide in battery packs,
Lithium Ion et all.

I see them cheap on craigslist.

Series parallel to make 40v.

Make that 36 volt system run reall nice like.

Perhaps I should check periodical archives of 1940’s, most likely there were “nuclear forklift” puff pieces?

Just about as practical?

That's just crazy talk.

Get a whole bunch of those "supercapacitors" that the "thumpa thumpa" tuner kids use in their car stereos.

Coupled with the genset you show, should take care of the short term
high current demands.

And don't drive by using "Plug reverse", that's what brakes are for.

Anyone ever tried a coal fired steam fork lift conversion?

If a guy could rig that up maybe he could get around the insurance requirements when loading out at auctions.

Perhaps I should check periodical archives of 1940’s, most likely there were “nuclear forklift” puff pieces?

Have you blokes forgotten? The Bausch is a Chronic Stoner. He had a life here with a previous handle. That was banned, now we have this dribble.

More often than not, He should put the bong away, prior to posting,

As a more serious suggestion what about replacing the electric motor with a hydraulic motor? It would probably be your easiest and cheapest means of coupling an engine. Maybe give you a little more speed on your tilt and lift, too.

Back