What's new
What's new

Forklift or electric pallet jack better to unload machines at dock?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Have unloaded palletized and unpalletized machine tools from trucks on loading dock using 3-ton cap. Hyster forklift over dock plate and it is always somewhat tricky backing over the plate with various large loads. I’ve always had to have a helper stand on the dock and yell directions to get and keep forks wheels off the side curbs of the dock plate. There are a couple inches on either side between fork wheels and the plate’s curbs and the plate is one of the larger ones made. We also have a 4-ton cap. Hyster electric pallet jack in another building and I’m thinking of trying a truck unload with it, at least to unload loads it’ll fit under which is fewer than the fork. The dockplate has the typical hump in it which the pallet jack can probably handle but we haven’t tried it yet. Maybe we’ll use the jack inside the truck and hand the load off to the fork for movement outside the truck, don’t know. All I know is that even with considerable practice, backing the forklift down the center of the dockplate isn’t getting any easier.

From my experience, it's much harder to be "easy" with a electric pallet jack than it is a forklift, especially when transversing rough surfaces(as in a dock plate).

Have unloaded palletized and unpalletized machine tools from trucks on loading dock using 3-ton cap. Hyster forklift over dock plate and it is always somewhat tricky backing over the plate with various large loads. I’ve always had to have a helper stand on the dock and yell directions to get and keep forks wheels off the side curbs of the dock plate. There are a couple inches on either side between fork wheels and the plate’s curbs and the plate is one of the larger ones made. We also have a 4-ton cap. Hyster electric pallet jack in another building and I’m thinking of trying a truck unload with it, at least to unload loads it’ll fit under which is fewer than the fork. The dockplate has the typical hump in it which the pallet jack can probably handle but we haven’t tried it yet. Maybe we’ll use the jack inside the truck and hand the load off to the fork for movement outside the truck, don’t know. All I know is that even with considerable practice, backing the forklift down the center of the dockplate isn’t getting any easier.

Welll.. a "humped" ramp known in advance to be there is no fun with any pallet jack, even a powered one.

As to the tight fit with the FL? Not really an issue. "Center" should be derived as an automagic byproduct.

You KNOW there are two or three inches, each side.

You KNOW neither the ramp nor the FL are suddenly going to change dimensions.

All you need for one-man operation is a means to see the tires on ONE side. Might be an add-on mirror.

Hold the side you can see closer to the ramp sidewall than half the clearance budget.

The off-side WILL clear.

Every time.

Back