Gooseneck trailer anti theft locks, which is best ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive got one like the Blaylock TL-50 on mine. Never had a problem other than I lost the keys for the lock and had to cut it off. They also make one for the downtube to prevent it being removed. It's been on the trailer so long I;ve got no clue where the keys are for it. I'll have to cut the lock on that one too when I go move the trailer this summer.

2. Likes TFPace liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Here "caravans" typically use "5th wheel" arrangements similar to semi trucks. They are unlikely to have anything for gooseneck trailers.
    Airstream and at least one other US manufacturer supply caravans with a hitch (non US use perhaps). I looked on Google and there are a fair tidy few available, some which just go into hitch and lock, not using a padlock. May well be worth a look.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Airstream and at least one other US manufacturer supply caravans with a hitch (non US use perhaps). I looked on Google and there are a fair tidy few available, some which just go into hitch and lock, not using a padlock. May well be worth a look.
    Yes but a Reese hitch tag along like an Airstream might use is different from a gooseneck, which needs a different locking system in general.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post
    Ive got one like the Blaylock TL-50 on mine. Never had a problem other than I lost the keys for the lock and had to cut it off. They also make one for the downtube to prevent it being removed. It's been on the trailer so long I;ve got no clue where the keys are for it. I'll have to cut the lock on that one too when I go move the trailer this summer.
    I've got the same one on my trailer, plus I have the lock over the bolts holding the hitch. I use the masterlock Pro series padlocks with an iron shackle guard on each. I made a new pin out of hardened 4140 so it can't be hacksawed too easially, but the TL50 is cast aluminum. One day I may rebuild out of SS plate with guard plates for pin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall one setup I saw at a welding & fab shop in GA. It was a post, say 6" dia and about 10' tall embedded in concrete. The neck of the trailer was entrapped by the post (IOW "a tree growing up thru it" ). Apparently they used the forklift to move it on and off. I would get a little worried about lifting something that large, that high, regularly. Probably would add fork pockets if it was a chosen solution.

7. Likes TFPace, bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How are those locks that wedge between the tires, are they easy to remove? I've never known anyone to use one.

Or how about a police 'boot'? They appear hard to defeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boston boots look easy to cut, and one time I needed to cut one off with a torch, I had not problems doing so. I think they are designed to resist freezing, hammer, chosels, prybars, etc but not a torch.

I've had good luck running a chain through the openings on the wheel (PEWAG square link security chain form mcMaster), but not on my gooseneck where the brakedrums doesn't leave any clearance.

In my mind, if it won't stand up to a 36" crowbar, torch, or sawsall (with some time limit), it's of marginal value. the PEWAG chain is the bomb, torch and bolt cutter resistant, it has to be cut with an abrasive wheel. And it fills the opening of a Masterlock pro series or S&G padlock, so there is no access to the lock shackle.

Professional security engineers also like large (1/2"+) stainless aircraft cable, preferabally braided, or 1/2" Gr70 chain. with the lock secured in a pipe.

Something else that might work is using a McGuard bolt head and key on the jack, either to lock it in place, or to use the handle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good there is much interest in this subject.
    Almost nothing will stop the dedicated professional crook. Like cracking a bank safe the top guys can do even that.
    I think of trailer locks as how much the crook wants to devote to the task of theft, needing nothing, needing an end wrench, hammer, lock pick hack saw, a cutting torch.
    My buddy’s boss, the owner of a top tool shop (some of you might recognize the name) saw a backhoe tractor left unattached..He hooked up his truck and the poor owner lost his machine..Theft boss is now dead but the tractor likely still in Tennessee.
    My applied patent is for a receiver hitch locking device… I’m sending the prototype off to the die shop hopefully today and we will start thinking about manufacture…I have ideas about Gooseneck also but cant tell until I decide where I’m going with that. Likely will design such a device when/if a few bucks start coming in from the first.
    Yes I will make a web site and provide a link when/ if it hits market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not know if this would help or not but for those bolt on pieces use square head bolts or do like the fire department and use bolt heads with five sides. unlikely the thieves will have a five point socket.
    When I installed a security door at a house we rented I used square drive screws on the theory no thief would have one of those screwdrivers.
    Bill D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine have the adjustable hitches on them. I pull the gooseneck hitch off them, and my landing gear shaft is inside the locked chain/strap box, so they have to put a hitch in that fits, bust open the box, get something to attach to the landing gear shaft, after they get through the locked gate. There going to have to work really hard to steal my trailers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadon View Post
    4) last line of defense, motion detecting cellular alarm, it is progrmmed to call my cell phone and enter 777777 every 5 minutes when the trailer is in motion (only when armed)
    Got a link for this? Is it a one-and-done cost or a monthly subscription cost?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You always have to think the way a crook is... If there are 5 anti-theft it's on a trailer, then that means there is value to it. If it isn't locked then there probably isn't things worth stealing.

People around my area have changed out a lot of 2 5/16" balls to 3" balls. That keeps a lot of people away from just that.

If I had a trailer with high value items in it, I wouldn't increase the security from the outside, I would make a second door that would be more secure that was on the inside. I would also make the tounge/ball unboltable so they can't steal it at all.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thief has a truck with a very stout steel box in the bed in place of the ball, grease on the bottom, just a bit bigger than the entire post assembly. Lowers the gooseneck, lock and all into the box, hooks up safety chains, closes tailgate and drives off. Maybe some chunks of tire in the box to take up some slack and quiet things down. I have driven away at least twice without closing my hitch and hooking up the chains and wires. Noticed it half way to my destination too. Thief will have a crank handle, prob an inverter with big ass half inch drill with same drive socket too.
    Between April 1 and October 31 I tow about 20 times per season. $250,000+ Porsche competition car inside. I am very picky where I hotel and park. Truck is a 2017 F350 Superduty with every trailer option and I have never left with an open hitch or wires loose, would get a warning otherwise, as well as trailer tire pressure monitoring. Truck remains attached at hotel and also has locked tailgate.
    You buy and sell machines and have a forklift that can pick them up. You don't buy big heavy machines that are totally useless on your own, maybe once in a rare while someone you thought you could trust has you buying a 5 axis mooring anchor. Park your trailer and put the "mooring" as a blocker. Maybe even take this "mooring" inside for a full paint job in hot pink, crazy lime, purple, whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Denver boot on a wheel works well net pain to use.

One could build a butterfly device that upon pulling of a lever it protrudes into spokes of wheels.

If electric brakes a very large battery hidden with a hidden switch that activates brakes to emergency mode or full on when lifted via pressure switch and latching relay.

Lo jack works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over here in the UK since cordless 18V angle grinders hit the market place the best security only buys time and most people are going to trackers hidden as well as they possibly can be.

The tracker thing now means most theifs tend to steal, stash them some were well out the way for a few days then and only then come back and move them on. Our police more or less do nothing its realy kinda depressing. Me i helped on 2 recoveries to date, both times the theifs were real lucky they were not found as they would have been taken a long long way out to sea and got a swim with the fishies. Its just no use telling the police, local friends shop was broken into and heavily vandalized made the papers we had photos and names of the perp's and the police did nothing other than give us a crime number. The local fishermen around here are sick to death of having there outboards and line haulers stolen, its unquestionably some kinda gang doing it here in the uk, because they seam to move from area to area.

Hence to me the security buys you time, but you need to very much detect it and then have a plan in place to stop them, because no one else is going to give a shit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Over here in the UK since cordless 18V angle grinders hit the market place the best security only buys time and most people are going to trackers hidden as well as they possibly can be.

The tracker thing now means most theifs tend to steal, stash them some were well out the way for a few days then and only then come back and move them on. Our police more or less do nothing its realy kinda depressing. Me i helped on 2 recoveries to date, both times the theifs were real lucky they were not found as they would have been taken a long long way out to sea and got a swim with the fishies. Its just no use telling the police, local friends shop was broken into and heavily vandalized made the papers we had photos and names of the perp's and the police did nothing other than give us a crime number. The local fishermen around here are sick to death of having there outboards and line haulers stolen, its unquestionably some kinda gang doing it here in the uk, because they seam to move from area to area.

Hence to me the security buys you time, but you need to very much detect it and then have a plan in place to stop them, because no one else is going to give a shit.
    Well at least you have a good, "Free" health care plan...

Cheer up, maybe Brexit will fix things.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recall discussing this trailer theft issue with my late pal Randy Andy. We concluded that the best way would be to equip the trailer with built in jacks at each corner, air or screw, and rework the wheel / hubs assembly to single nut fixing F1 car style. Park up, jack up and pull the wheels off. Who is gonna nick a trailer not only without wheels but also obviously not retrofittable with standard ones. I'd use a weird custom thread size too just to be nasty.

Maybe five minutes extra to get going with screw jacks and a husky battery drill / driver. Been more than a few times when I've felt that jacks on the corners to adjust the angle of tilt would have been handy at loading & unloading times.

Wasn't until I got halfway home that I realised I'd more or less agreed to engineer and make a system if he wanted one. Oooops! Mouth - brain interface control failure.

Clive

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Truck remains attached at hotel and also has locked tailgate.

Heard way too many reports from Quebec and B/C where they just take the whole rig. Truck, trailer, and sleds. Even in lighted lots.

Sometimes it's best to show up in the junkiest POS in the lot, and leave the keys in it.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Heard way too many reports from Quebec and B/C where they just take the whole rig. Truck, trailer, and sleds. Even in lighted lots.

Sometimes it's best to show up in the junkiest POS in the lot, and leave the keys in it.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    You would think....that the cops would at least crack down a wee bit on this kind of theft....Makes me sure I don't want to spend any time (or tourism money) there.