How to move a milling machine like a PRO! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if he realizes this forum is filled with machinists and machinerey dealers and mill wrights who have moved some of the largest things on earth. I have moved at least a thousand milling machines, I dragged hoisted towed lifted slung and skated them everyday for 5 years. I know guys on here who have taken apart steel rolling plants and hydro electric generating stations, I think those guys are pros.

2. Likes lucky7, Milacron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what I missed because I don't follow links from other members, guess I miss a lot? I did buy my first milling machine from a retired machine tool dealer who had is own machine shop years before that, part of the deal was we worked together until it was on my shop floor. All we used was simple tools, Simplex jack, come along, 2" pipe, 6' pry bar and a low trailer. I have used what I learned that day to move all of my machines with only slight variations, I don't think that makes my a pro? I'm just a guy that's too cheep to pay for a job I can do even if it takes me 10 times as long to get it done.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Shorts and sneakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Save the shorts for the beach - put on pants and work shoes when working in a shop.

5. Likes digger doug, Frenchy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hair raising??
    Hair raising is when a 18T lathe is 2.5M in the air, the red light is on the crane, and the crane driver jibs down instead of rope down.

7. Likes hermetic, ApexMachining liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tough bunch here today, must be short on entertainment. Although I agree it’s no big deal to move a Bridgeport.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    That he is.

The amount of work he's done to that building by himself is amazing. I'd love to know how he got the overhead crane set in-place.
    Anyone got a link to this guys videos or a Youtube channel I can look up? I must have missed this one. As for the OP, You cant fix stupid!!!

10. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by B-Mathews View Post
    Anyone got a link to this guys videos or a Youtube channel I can look up? I must have missed this one. As for the OP, You cant fix stupid!!!
    bcbloc2
    - YouTube

12. Likes B-Mathews, hermetic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    Save the shorts for the beach - put on pants and work shoes when working in a shop.
    Yup,

Would you hire this "professional" after seeing his video ?

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snapatap View Post
    Hair raising??
    Hair raising is when a 18T lathe is 2.5M in the air, the red light is on the crane, and the crane driver jibs down instead of rope down.
    My hair-raising was with a 35,000 lb Sundstrand 6' in the air with two forklifts underneath and it started to tip over. Luckily the save happened so fast I didn't have time to shit my pants.

New rule : no two-forklift lifts. Ever.

15. Likes snapatap liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have Iron Fairies in the US? Anyone who lifts heavy machinery with a fork lift UNDER the machine is asking for trouble,two fork lifts is sheer lunacy! How many machine smashing vids must we watch before people get it that forklifts are for moving pallets, unless you put a lift adapter on the forks, and lift the load from above!10729814123_0c6220a66b_b.jpg

17. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hermetic View Post
    Do you have Iron Fairies in the US? Anyone who lifts heavy machinery with a fork lift UNDER the machine is asking for trouble,two fork lifts is sheer lunacy! How many machine smashing vids must we watch before people get it that forklifts are for moving pallets, unless you put a lift adapter on the forks, and lift the load from above!10729814123_0c6220a66b_b.jpg
    With all due respect, Pilgrim.. moving the pallet isn't really the purpose hard-wired into the forklift's genetics.

Ordinarily the pallet is associated with a LOAD. That's what the FL is meant to move.

Commonly situated on TOP of the pallet, too, loads are. If gravity is a good-enough reference point. Not beside it nor under it. The pallet is but a quasi-standardized adapter.

So no, FL use for lifting machinery is not limited to pretending to be a crane.

That is not a panacea, either, BTW. Au contraire - it brings its own set of challenges, concerns, and limitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we moved my Webb 4VH milling machine from the shop where it was sitting, I had to pay a rigger $200 to move it out and deposit it on our large flatbed trailer. Once I got it to my shop, my friend brought over his 5,000 pound capacity forklift and we lifted it in place using cables. I don't recall the exact placement of the cables but the forklift worked from above the machine.

It weighs 3,500 pounds so I wasn't even going to attempt to move it without a forklift.

Fortunately, my machinist friend with the forklift has moved many machines in his day so it went OK, but moving big machines is scary if you don't have the proper equipment and someone with some experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    moving big machines is scary if you don't have the proper equipment and someone with some experience.
    It's funny what "big" means to various people. I've made parts that weigh 3,500 lbs.

21. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    It's funny what "big" means to various people. I've made parts that weigh 3,500 lbs.
    Not 11 tons?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    Well, like the guy said when he confessed to a charge of incest, "It's all relative".

24. Likes Larry Dickman, Sachmanram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    You know people are scraping the bottom of the barrel when the choice of attire starts to get criticised.

26. Likes Newman109, triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hermetic View Post
    Yeah we don't have those here. And its only lunacy if your an idiot. Wood on the forks, mabey a ratchet binder or chain holding the load down on the forks, and its hard to be safer.

Since this thread seems to be devolving into a pissing contest of sorts. Here is 17,500lbs about 4' in the air. And I even jumped out of the forklift to get the picture.

Here is a 24,800lb planer about 6' in the air, on forks, flying over other machines.

Last edited by alskdjfhg; 01-02-2018 at 07:09 PM.

28. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    Yeah we don't have those here. And its only lunacy if your an idiot. Wood on the forks, mabey a ratchet binder or chain holding the load down on the forks, and its hard to be safer.

Since this thread seems to be devolving into a pissing contest of sorts. Here is 17,500lbs about 4' in the air. And I even jumped out of the forklift to get the picture.
    Fine piece(s) of work, although I must say, the steering end on the 17K lift looks awfully lightly loaded. Maybe just 'cause you jumped off the truck, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is no "Crane is best" or Forklift is best". Both have their place.

What I do not understand is why so many European/Australian members always tout the virtues of cranes for everything and dump on forklifts?

Do you guys not have big forklifts?

There's a lot of stuff you can't do with a crane and the same goes for forklifts, but forklifts sure are plenty safe and efficient for moving stuff.

Also, I have rented forklifts for rigging purposed up to a 48K lb lift hyster. It's cheap and easy. I call up and give my credit card and BAM! a good running forklift gets dropped off wherever I need it. When I'm done they come and retrieve it.

I have never heard of anyone renting out cranes unless you count real big excavators.

When I "rent" a crane it comes with an operator and it costs per hour what I pay for a day or a week of a big forklift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by specfab View Post
    Fine piece(s) of work, although I must say, the steering end on the 17K lift looks awfully lightly loaded. Maybe just 'cause you jumped off the truck, though.
    I doubt my scrawny 148lbs would have much effect.

Back end was probably lighter moving this approximately 10ton HBM. And even then had no trouble steering outside on the dirt/rock yard or inside on the slab.

The weakspot on that forklift is the wimpy 2.5" thick forks. Note how far I have to rack the mast back to keep the load level, this machine really needs 4" thick forks.

32. Likes lowCountryCamo liked this post