Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In a small shop I move the mill quite often..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill-dolly.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could move a mill like that with no jack or johnson bar and with less physical effort. All it takes are a stack of 3/4" blocks and a pallet jack, with the pallet jack only being used to get under it when it is raised 3.5", pumped up a little and roll 'er away.

3. Likes Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeeandSee View Post
    In a small shop I move the mill quite often..
    Shilling yet again ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    With all due respect, Pilgrim.. moving the pallet isn't really the purpose hard-wired into the forklift's genetics.

Ordinarily the pallet is associated with a LOAD. That's what the FL is meant to move.

Commonly situated on TOP of the pallet, too, loads are. If gravity is a good-enough reference point. Not beside it nor under it. The pallet is but a quasi-standardized adapter.

So no, FL use for lifting machinery is not limited to pretending to be a crane.

That is not a panacea, either, BTW. Au contraire - it brings its own set of challenges, concerns, and limitations.
    LOL! and this attitude is why so many machines are smashed by fork lifts.............................

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    I could move a mill like that with no jack or johnson bar and with less physical effort. All it takes are a stack of 3/4" blocks and a pallet jack, with the pallet jack only being used to get under it when it is raised 3.5", pumped up a little and roll 'er away.
    That's OK if you have want everything in the shop propped up on blocks. I'd love to see the look on the OSHA guys face when he walked in the shop and noticed a machine sitting up a stack of blocks.:-) Ha, did you learn that process from the Egyptians? Less physical effort? Pry bar and a stack of blocks.. Are you serious? Can I hang that post up on the wall Milacron for a good laugh? LOL

The reason I made those is so I didn't have to use pry bars, blocks and roll pipe. Every heavy tool in the shop has a set of sockets. I sold a set to one shop, 2 more shops bought a set just from seeing how they work. Now the forth guy saw them and wants to move a 4000 lb 20' long oak table so I'm going to make him a set to lift 4 corners.. I have no time to make any more.. Pallet jacks work well under pallets and that's what they were made for..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    There is no "Crane is best" or Forklift is best". Both have their place.

What I do not understand is why so many European/Australian members always tout the virtues of cranes for everything and dump on forklifts?

Do you guys not have big forklifts?

There's a lot of stuff you can't do with a crane and the same goes for forklifts, but forklifts sure are plenty safe and efficient for moving stuff.

Also, I have rented forklifts for rigging purposed up to a 48K lb lift hyster. It's cheap and easy. I call up and give my credit card and BAM! a good running forklift gets dropped off wherever I need it. When I'm done they come and retrieve it.

I have never heard of anyone renting out cranes unless you count real big excavators.

When I "rent" a crane it comes with an operator and it costs per hour what I pay for a day or a week of a big forklift.
    When you lift from above, it can't fall off! Most machinery has lifting lugs on the top, or through holes for it to be slung, from the top. Most manufacturers will tell you how to move their machines, and it is mostly by suspended lift. Lifting a top heavy machine from underneath is asking for trouble, with a fork lift, it only takes an uneven floor and you are screwed, lift from above and the floor makes little difference.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Shilling yet again ?

As I said, I have no time to make any more.. I thought this was a forum of ideas Doug.. Not a forum of complainers..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default why waste time?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Harvie View Post
    When you have a set of roll a lifts why on earth would you go to so much effort to move the mill the way you did. I have moved many bridgeport mills with roll a lifts mounted one on each side of the machine
    I have several pairs of Rol-lifts. It takes me more time to strap them on, than it does to put a pair of skates under a mill and be GONE!
    I have literally moved over 1,000 milling machines.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hermetic View Post
    When you lift from above, it can't fall off! Most machinery has lifting lugs on the top, or through holes for it to be slung, from the top. Most manufacturers will tell you how to move their machines, and it is mostly by suspended lift. Lifting a top heavy machine from underneath is asking for trouble, with a fork lift, it only takes an uneven floor and you are screwed, lift from above and the floor makes little difference.
    Sure. But you are adding unneeded steps.

With a crane, you need: toe jacks, blocks, skates, a vehicle to pull the machine while on skates, a crane, chains and slings, a nice smooth floor to roll the machine on, possibly steel plates to cover cracks and floor drains.

With a forklift, you need: a forklift, possibly some wood blocks.

Add to that the fact that the forklift needs no headroom above the machine.

I will say, there are a few advantages to a crane lift. Lifting a machine off a shipping skid would be one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do all of my moves without a forklift. When the "Big guys" can't get in with a trailer and lift.....They call me.
    I specialize in removing machines that people put in tight spots.
    very well respected, and highly recommended.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I specialize in removing machines from tight spots. I do all my moves without a forklift. If you happen to be in a situation where you cannot get a lift over, or under a machine? then I have tips to help you get what you need accomplished. Moving mills up, and down stairs, over rough terrain, out of closets etc.
    I have a very good working relationship with the "big Dogs" in my area. If they can't get in with a truck, and lift, then they call me. I am very experienced, and come highly recommended.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How to move a milling machine like a PRO!

My issue with your video is your choice of attire more than anything, no matter how good you are, shorts and sneakers take “pro” out of the picture.
    I work with lots of Pros ( the kind that move 100 ton transformers and Large generator parts worth millions and millions USD
    They all wear heavy pants, most with double knees, safety shoes, leather gloves and hard hats, glasses. And yes it’s required at work, but the standards are much different when you hire them for a side job.

Edit should read, “but the standards are Not much different “

And before you say it, you are right, safety shoes aren’t going to help much if drop a lathe on your foot, but they are for when you get tired and drop a skate, hockey stick, Johnson bar , sledge etc.

If you want to make a video to drum up business, then go the extra mile, wear the gear , get a long sleeve shirt made up with your business logo and name......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by ripperj; 01-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.

14. Likes Lanso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    I work with lots of Pros
    Yeah but are they highly recommended? I don't trust anyone who is not highly recommended.

16. Likes Garwood, tdmidget, machtool, AlexO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    Yeah but are they highly recommended? I don't trust anyone who is not highly recommended.
    And very well respected.

18. Likes ewlsey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by campbellmachine View Post
    I specialize in removing machines from tight spots. I do all my moves without a forklift. If you happen to be in a situation where you cannot get a lift over, or under a machine? then I have tips to help you get what you need accomplished. Moving mills up, and down stairs, over rough terrain, out of closets etc.
    I have a very good working relationship with the "big Dogs" in my area. If they can't get in with a truck, and lift, then they call me. I am very experienced, and come highly recommended.
    I moved a 35,000 Acme Rb6 out from behind another through a hole with about 6" on both side, did a turn and got it in the open for the rigger with nothing but some inch and a quarter bar, a 3/4 ton come along and the two Bullard posts along side the door.

your preachin' to the choir my friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and a toe jack

21. Likes machtool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If every machine was out in the open and you could just grab it with a forklift why would anyone need riggers?

helga-3-.jpg

Here's one of my Mori verticals perched in the midst of lowering from 42" down to the soft gravel. Took about 12 hours of solid work to get that up off the trailer and sitting in the shop by hand. That mill is 11' tall and 18K lbs.

My big 60" travel MV-65B is 38K lbs and with the enclosure and way covers completely removed it's 11' 4" wide. I skated it right off a Landoll through my 11'6" wide door.

On the subject of Pro riggers- Anyone else use Checkmate out of Seattle? That guy is a PRO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20170925_103309.jpg

Loading 21 tons of Bliss

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    helga-3-.jpg
    Here's one of my Mori verticals perched in the midst of lowering from 42" down to the soft gravel. Took about 12 hours of solid work to get that up off the trailer and sitting in the shop by hand. That mill is 11' tall and 18K lbs.
    I like that tree trunk for blocking lol.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeeandSee View Post
    The reason I made those is so I didn't have to use pry bars, blocks and roll pipe. Every heavy tool in the shop has a set of sockets.
    Probably works okay for toys. Let's see you do that with machine tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    They all wear heavy pants, most with double knees, safety shoes, leather gloves and hard hats, glasses.
    Hard hats ?!?! What a bunch of pansies. My favorite gorillas swing in on vines, grab the machines in their huge palms, and lift. No muss no fuss and no steenkin' hard hats.