What's new
What's new

Hyster transmission issues

mrcompletely

Aluminum
I have a Hyster H40XL that the dealer tells me the clutch packs in the transmission are "welded" together. This forklift will barely move forward under full throttle and will only bog down and not move at all in reverse. The valve body has been checked and found to be OK. The quote for repair is about 3X what the forklift is worth. Anyone have any experience with this issue or any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tear it apart and see what you can make of it. It's already broken, it's not like you're gonna break it...

Yup, that's how a lot of us "graybeards" learned. Something wasn't working; the item was "needed" but the dealer wanted astronomical dollars to fix it.
Our only recourse often was: "F*ck it! Let's open the beast up and see what we're up against." Didn't win all the battles but on a surprising number of
occasions we had "aha" moments--discovering that the fix was relatively simple and, most important, "doable". The knowledge acquired and the
confidence gained were often useful in the future as well.

And a lot of this happened before the advent of the internet. In today's world there's a very good chance that someone out there has already dealt
with the issue you're now facing--being able to tap into their knowledge base is a priceless resource...

Jeez...I just read through this and it sounds like something Monarchist would write....scary...:eek::D

Hyster H40XL

I have H60xl which had similar issue

the transmission must not be a monotrol--this means it should have column forward/reverse selector

there should be a clutch pedal and separate break pedal

this category transmission has simple architecture of friction discs and pressure plates--they are wet and run in ATF fluid--plates welding together almost never occurs

Hyster made a build error with this series tranny--the pressure plates were too thick and friction discs--the wear element --too thin

when friction discs are worn they do not exert enough closure force on the forward/reverse packs to transmit motive power--the result is engine revving with jerky motions but no significant lift truck movement

solution--engine must be pulled and transmission taken apart
pressure plates are alloy steel and require surface grind removing around .040" from each

Hyster updated friction discs are around .040" thicker than originals--Hyster will recommend that you buy replacement pressure plates which are thinner but very pricey
friction disc pack for forward/reverse cost $300.00 usd around 20 years ago
when I performed the repair listed here

my H60xl has performed with no issues for past 20 years following this fix

do a search in this forum on this topic and you will find thread discussing this repair

jh

I

have you checked power to solenoid valve on valve bank from the hand break.
I was in the same situation , tried cleaning all valves and regulators in valve bank, pulling out the oil filter then finaly followd wires from switch in hand break and found the switch was malfunctioning,I bypassed switch and hey-presto
fork lurched into action!

I had an H50 that was in the same boat. It would work okay on flat pavement but would not pull up hill or with a load. Being that it was a 1981 model and the older parts are scarce to source I just sold it.

Yup, that's how a lot of us "graybeards" learned. Something wasn't working; the item was "needed" but the dealer wanted astronomical dollars to fix it.
Our only recourse often was: "F*ck it! Let's open the beast up and see what we're up against." Didn't win all the battles but on a surprising number of
occasions we had "aha" moments--discovering that the fix was relatively simple and, most important, "doable". The knowledge acquired and the
confidence gained were often useful in the future as well.

And a lot of this happened before the advent of the internet. In today's world there's a very good chance that someone out there has already dealt
with the issue you're now facing--being able to tap into their knowledge base is a priceless resource...

Jeez...I just read through this and it sounds like something Monarchist would write....scary...:eek::D

In my shop that was called "a sacrifice to the gods of knowledge", everyone gather round, we are going to learn something new:D

Back