What's new
What's new

Last night I loaded a 23,000 lb forklift in a van trailer... no tie downs except

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
(23k is the weight...capacity is 15.5K)

pitiful looking straps connected to E track on the walls. Rigger type, cushion tire lift. The trailer creaked and groaned as I backed it in all the way to head of trailer...but was amazed the buyer sent that type of trailer as that forklift really needed to be chained to an open trailer. Tried to talk the trucker into stopping at Lowes to get nails and hammer to nail down some boards but pretty sure he is not. (I had none on site, as this was the last thing moved from my old shop...building empty now)

So, what are the chances we will read about a forklift falling thru the side of a semi trailer between here and Bloomington, IN ? We discussed hauling a car inside a van trailer without tie downs here before and concensus was don't even think about it....but maybe the forklift will be less prone to move due to no suspension ? (OTOH, it is waaaaay more weight... )

Recently here on the Mass. Pike a guy had a small front end loader come off his trailer killing a young lady and badly injuring her new born baby in the car behind him. Transporting heavy equipment is a big responsibility and needs to be taken seriously. Lives are at risk. I bought my first B/P mill when I was 19 and drove it home 40 miles on the highway using a garden trailer, nearly lost it twice and bent the axle. What an ass but I didn't know better at the time. That was the longest 40 miles I ever drove and taught me a valuable lesson.

It is surprising that it didn't go right through the floor. Did you reinforce it any?
I've driven that forklift in enclosed trailers before with 10,000 lbs on the forks (i.e. 10K more weight than in this case) with no problems. Plus this was an almost brand new trailer.

That creaking really freaks me out. I loaded a 5000 lb electrical panel with a 6500 lb cap lift at work into a dry van trailer and I almost had to stop and use a pallet jack because I got worried.

I had the same dilemma attempting to ship my 7k forklift with FreightQuote in a dry van. They were happy to quote but kept telling me it was my responsibility to tie it down...I eventually had to back out due to nobody knowing any specifics and me wanting to keep the machine in viable working order. Eventually it went on a full-load flatbed trailer with my other machinery.

Hopefully it had some insurance :) 0.10/lb isn't going to buy much of a replacement......:eek:

Driving is 99.9% boredom and .1% terror. If the driver encounters the .1% terror, that forklift is coming out. Front, back, or side, those trailer walls aren't going to stop much more than an empty cardboard box.

Back in the '80's, I recall one of the other guys in the shop telling me I have to come look at something outside. The shop was only 1 building away from a traffic light. There was about a 4,000# forklift in the middle of the intersection, laying on its counterweight with the forks pointing straight up. It didn't get scratched, as a roll up rear door from a van trailer was protecting the counterweight from the concrete.

they let me run an electric pallet truck last night...I wouldn't go anywhere near a trailer with that thing. sketchy!
?? Must have been a crappy electric pallet jack... I have a small electric with 36" forks that is ideal for operating inside trailers as most loads I can turn 180 inside the trailer with it.

I wonder if the driver would have been as happy to haul it on an open trailer with no tie downs ,probably not that much different really ,but at least he would be able to see it coming off.

I wonder if the driver would have been as happy to haul it on an open trailer with no tie downs ,probably not that much different really ,but at least he would be able to see it coming off.

Exactly what I was thinking. The idea that the trailer sides may do anything at all must be a holdover from believing blankets keep monsters away.

Did you put the handbreak on at least :)
Yep...but if I forgot I guarantee the driver would not have checked it. Re no holddowns, remember I said there were straps and E track...so that would help a little, but not much.

?? Must have been a crappy electric pallet jack... I have a small electric with 36" forks that is ideal for operating inside trailers as most loads I can turn 180 inside the trailer with it.

I wonder if its a good one or not... I have a limited experience with them. Last time I used one I was probably closer to 8 yrs old. Almost put that poor shipping clerk through the wall. Dad was real mad.

The particular thing I don't care for is it has two speeds...on or off. makes it hard when you get into tight quarters. That and my previous experience has me a bit gun shy.

Ähhhhh.....

is it just me or do you have some sort of legal deficiency in America, regarding freight that is...
In Germany "improperly secured load" WILL get you into trouble.
Frankly, if someone would be loading a 23,000 pound machine at the museum and not secure the bloody load....id probably call the cops....

The particular thing I don't care for is it has two speeds...on or off. makes it hard when you get into tight quarters.
?? What was it exactly ? Never heard of an electric pallet jack that wasn't variable speed...sounds crappier than I imagined.

?? What was it exactly ? Never heard of an electric pallet jack that wasn't variable speed...sounds crappier than I imagined.

its orange.... Ill let you know tomorrow. I was thinking the battery was low?? The second shift super speaks broken English, so it was hard to try and diagnose the problem with him. Eventually it just led to smiles and nods.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. If I were the driver of the truck, I would not drive anywhere. Someone is going to get hurt when it comes through the trailer, and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Plus if the truck gets in an accident, imagine the lawsuit.

Will make a great dashcam youtube video when it comes off though.

I hope he swings through Indy. There isn't any straight roads that I can think of near Bloomington. Lots of turns hills turns and steep grade signs come to mind. Haven't been that way a lot, but the few roads I've been on are a bit entertaining. Not horrible..... But hell, come to think, he ain't gonna make it through the hills over that way anyway

Back