What's new
What's new

lift gate leveller- load binder? and chain grades

tomjelly

Stainless
I've got a 5500lb rail type lift gate that is a large bifold platform that hinges at its connection to the truck and is held level by 1/2" chain at about a 45 degree angle that extends from high on the rail to the tip of the platform at either side. I would like to add a few inches of adjustment to the chain so I can level the lift gate platform when the truck is parked on ramps or sometimes to aid in rolling cargo on to the platform - usually I'd like the tip lower. I'd like to do this with a pair of detachable handle load binders. Because of the way the gate folds and chain routing there is not a lot of space for shackles and such so the ideal type of binder would be a jaw and jaw type so the chain could be attached directly to the binder without any additional hardware. I've not been able to find these from a quality or non China manufacturer. I can get a hook and eye type binder from CM (#46566, 9200# WLL) and cut the hooks off but I'd still need to use the links between the OEM hooks and binder eyes PLUS a double clevis to attach the chain, and at both ends. All of this makes the assembly too long and not very tidy. The binder eyes have a 1.02" ID, .61" section and 2.25" OD, so a shackle of adequate rating will no pass thru the eye. Any quality brands I might search besides CM for a jaw and jaw type? Is there some piece of hardware I may not be thinking of that can join 1/2" chain directly to this size eye? (other than making side plates and bolting thru both the eye and chain with 1/2" grade 8 bolts)

Another issue is with the angle involved I'm looking at about 2x what the load would be on a vertical chain, so 11000 lbs/2 plus a good bit more if the load isn't centered. I noticed the CM site says the "size" of the binder g43 is 1/2 and g70 is 3/8, for this model- not separate 1/2 and 3/8 models. To me it looks like this means the assembly has a 9200 WLL with 3/8 g70 OR 1/2 G43 chain, but CM 3/8" G70 chain has a WLL of 6600 so that's not clear to me. My guess is the existing (painted, not plated) 1/2" chain on the gate is G43, 9200# WLL. I want to be sure the CM binder is adequate for the job. Riggers weigh in please...

Tom

If neither Crosby nor C-M make it, you don't want it. It's not clear to me what you are looking for but remember that if you alter it you have absolved the manufacturer of any liability, at least in the U.S. and per OSHA you are now the manufacturer. So don't. Can you post a drawing of what you are looking for?

The load angle factor for 45 deg is 1.414. WLL of 5500 for each chain should be sufficient.

If you want to get technical about it, most of those ratchet type binders are for load securememt. I think WLL for securement devices is half breaking strength. Lifting devices must be reduced below breaking strength by a factor of 5. Also, grade 80 is the lowest grade you can go for lifting.

Another thing to consider is that most of those type binders will come apart if you back them off too far. Just something to keep in mind because you wouldn't want even the empty platform to come loose and fall.

Agreed, m16ty. No intention of replacing the chain, just sectioning in the binder if I can get the type I want. It will have a thin crimped cable in parallel with the binder for the purpose of indicating max extension. The last one on this page:
Ratchet Load Binders | Impact Plastics
looks pretty good, but I don't know without holding one in my hand to get an idea of how well its made (or not) Doug, I don't think that 3 point hitch link would be up to the job...I'll probably find what I need eventually, looks like they are trash compactor binders. I would imagine they will not have ANY rating & I may be better off trying to figure out a way to squeeze in the hardware required for an eye type. This type of thing would fit the eyes:
http://www.westechrigging.com/rigging-hardware-shackles-gunnebo-gsa-clevis-chain-shackles.html
but I'll need to check and see if I can fit them in the space- and they are pretty expensive...

If you can fasten one of the binder to the frame and just have one end free it may work better. When I have a ratchet binder in a long length of chain it can be a lot of fighting to keep the chain from twisting.

I have a couple of ratcheting binders with just eyes on the end of the screws. The guy I got them from called them railroad binders, as the railroad he worked for wouldn't allow either lever binders or chains with hooks. Everything had to be shackled or welded.

Doug's 3 point hitch link is just the smallest available, a Category 1. If you like the concept look up a Category 2. A Cat. 4 would pick up your entire truck.

I had passed over the Durabilt stuff because I never heard of them and assumed cheap Chinese & didn't see that they had a website. Looks like they may be made there but at least they have a name on them of someone domestic with some skin in the game so I'll probably give them a try.
thanks
tom

Is something you expect to need adjustment frequently? if not too often you might look at Crosby turnbuckles. They are rated for overhead lifting available with clevis ends so no other hardware needed.

It would probably be frequently adjusted so turnbuckle would not be practical.
I got an email from a guy at CM, as it turns out they have a division I was not aware of called Dixie industries in Chattanooga that makes exactly what I need: http://www.cmforge.com/industrial_ratchets/index.asp

None of these things I've found are rated for overhead lifting, I would think principally because you can't see how close they are to disengaging when unscrewed because the threads are covered by design, unlike an open turnbuckle. As my application will not allow overextension and will never be operated even near 40% of WLL I think they'll be fine.

I would think principally because you can't see how close they are to disengaging when unscrewed because the threads are covered by design,

All my ratcheting binders have a witness hole to prove there is enough thread in the turnbuckle.

Back