What's new
What's new

Lifting hook in place of shackle

m16ty

Hot Rolled
I've searched the web far and wide but have yet to find what I'm looking for. What I am looking for is a hook that has a pin attachment point like a shackle, in the 40 ton range. Everything I've found in the way of hooks is either swivel hooks or hooks with a threaded shank.

I don't need swivel capability as the attachment point already swivels and I need to keep everything as short as possible. I am just throwing it out there to see if anybody here knew of anything.

I don't know of anything non-custom that is exactly what you want. The closest off-the-shelf solution I can think of is a connecting link and a shackle. It'll be shorter than a hook and shackle, but not as compact as a purpose built below-the-hook device to go directly from chain to padeye. A custom below-the-hook device would be quite compact, but it would cost more.

I'd contact Tulsa chain, or westech rigging. a knowledgeable distributor is usually going to be the most help in a situation like this, as they know more than one product line, and will work for a single sale. manufacturers may not be as responsive to an end user inquiry.

Dealing with that much weight, you should be asking people in the business, not a bunch of machinists. Crosby is one of the premier American hook and shackle (and more) companies, talk to them Monday to see what they have to offer. Others out there too.

The Crosby Group - Material Handling Solutions

The reason I asked here is because I've already searched the web for something like I'm looking for and checked all the usual rigging sources. People seem pretty knowledgeable around here and I thought maybe somebody had seen something in their travels.

Fair enough, but when you're dealing with that much weight (40T), it pays to get professional information. We just had a thread a couple weeks back about a guy who was generally doing well as his own rigger, but then dropped a large radial drill press when his setup failed.

Let us know what you find out if you do contact Crosby or a good rigging supply co. A sketch of what you want may help too, I and most others are still unsure of the exact setup you're looking for.

Basically here is a pic of what I'm looking for. Of course, it would be much larger and made for a different purpose, but that is the basic design.

The other pic shows the boom I'm looking to install onto. In the pic, it appears to be a swivel hook attached. The lug on the boom already swivels, there is no need for another swivel. Also notice how far it hangs down. In machinery moving in tight quarters, headroom can mean everything, so I'm trying to go as short as I can.

Of course, you can't get much shorter that just a shackle on the lug, but it's not easy holding up 80,000 lb capacity rigging 8' in the air while you install a shackle. It's much easier to just swing the rigging over a hook.

Attachments

• slip hook.jpg
    slip hook.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,703
  • hoist boom hook.jpg
    hoist boom hook.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 333
I don't think you will find it. Any hook with a capacity of 40 tons will be for use under a block, likely at least 8 parts. The chain in your pic does not appear to be any where near 40 tons SWL. The hook you showed is called a snatch hook. It is for logging and towing, not lifting. As for just swing the rigging over a hook, not likely. Most modern hooks of that capacity have a latching mouse. Commonly requires 2 men.
If the boom /jib is factory made and rated for 40 tons then the manuufacturer should know who can supply hardware for it, Are you trying to avoid the OEM prices or what?

Basically here is a pic of what I'm looking for. Of course, it would be much larger and made for a different purpose, but that is the basic design.

The other pic shows the boom I'm looking to install onto. In the pic, it appears to be a swivel hook attached. The lug on the boom already swivels, there is no need for another swivel. Also notice how far it hangs down. In machinery moving in tight quarters, headroom can mean everything, so I'm trying to go as short as I can.

Of course, you can't get much shorter that just a shackle on the lug, but it's not easy holding up 80,000 lb capacity rigging 8' in the air while you install a shackle. It's much easier to just swing the rigging over a hook.

Gotcha, I misunderstood what you were looking for. If I'm understanding you correctly, the boom has a swivel with a single lug coming off the bottom of it? Is this lug bolted to the swivel, or integral?

Would you post a good picture of what you actually have on the boom now?

I think this is what you want, only with a clevis on the end opposite the hook.

Crosby(R) L-32R ROV Eye Hooks - The Crosby Group

On edit: If headroom is important, I think a shackle will be your smallest option. The hooks I listed a 45 ton version will cost 20" of headroom, while a 40 ton bolt type chain shackle will only cost 7" of head room. Plus, a shackle could be sized to the load, saving even more headroom on lesser weight lifts.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys rip him for giving a pic of the "idea" of what he wants so as to describe it to a bunch of machinists. He obviously knows thats not rated for lifting or anywhere near his tonnage or he wouldn't be asking where to find what he wants.

This is as close as I have ever seen to what you want, not sure though that one rated for 40t would be any shorter than the setup you have now though. This ones just 22,600 lb rating grade 100
Campbell Self Locking Slip Hook, 413 Alloy Steel 574995 | Zoro.com

Gotcha, I misunderstood what you were looking for. If I'm understanding you correctly, the boom has a swivel with a single lug coming off the bottom of it? Is this lug bolted to the swivel, or integral?

The end of the boom has a swivel lug on it already. That's why I don't need a swivel hook and the extra length to go along with it. The lug is made to accept a 40 ton shakle.

I'll try to get a pic of the boom end when I'm at the machine this week.

The hook you showed is called a snatch hook. It is for logging and towing, not lifting.

nope. it's a clevis sling hook, and yes, they certainly ARE made for lifting, in grade 80, 100, and probably 120, as well. easy to find up to 7/8 chain size.

to the OP, exactly where is this 40T number coming from? from the forklift pic you posted, I'm starting to wonder if you are really looking for something with a WLL of 40T.

you don't want a foundry hook unless you really need the extra large opening. that is a special purpose hook, not for general lifting.

to the OP, exactly where is this 40T number coming from? from the forklift pic you posted, I'm starting to wonder if you are really looking for something with a WLL of 40T.

The lift is a Hoist FR 60/80, max capacity is 80,000 LB, or 40T.

an actual 45T rated WLL crosby shank sling hook I found on westech's site is 43" high, weighs 216 lbs, and is 5000.00+$.

a forklift rating is most certainly NOT a single point load capacity, totally different.

you are possibly in some crazy dangerous territory here, totally misunderstanding what can be done with the equipment at hand, it seems. consult the manufacturer(s) BEFORE you do anything. find out what the maximum single point lift is on the specific boom at the extension you have. it will NOT be the same as max cap. of a load on the forks. not even close.

Back