What's new
What's new

Machine moving, bearing false berneling

Stirling

Hot Rolled
Moved a haas tm-1 mill a few years back, with "moving bracket" attached.
Drove 700km on the back of a trailer (not air ride)

Looking at the machine later I noticed there was orange markes on the linear ways, looked like little rust marks. It was false bernelling from the vibration of driving.
Is this a common problem? How is it avoided?
They did not effect the machine, but in the long run it will. Not to mention the spindle and other ways...

I need to move a slant bed soon and I cannot afford to damage it

Tips or advice?

There's no way that a few hours on the back of the truck is putting more stress on the machine ways than a few hours of cutting with a face mill. I think you are worrying about nothing. Having the shipping bracket is a good thing because if keeps the table or turret from sliding around in transit.

The whole air ride/non air ride issue is also not much to worry about. Machine tools are shipped all around the world every day on non air ride trucks, and often in places with far worse roads than Canada.

I would just make sure the lube system is working and put the thing in service.

A rollback tow truck or flat bed tow truck...or whatever they say up der in canada. 11,000lb capacity and air ride and can maneuver better than semi. If you call up a smaller firm/ junk yard that isn't busy that much or a large firm with multiple trucks to schedule you would be in luck.

Forklift it off.

There's no way that a few hours on the back of the truck is putting more stress on the machine ways than a few hours of cutting with a face mill. I think you are worrying about nothing. Having the shipping bracket is a good thing because if keeps the table or turret from sliding around in transit.

The whole air ride/non air ride issue is also not much to worry about. Machine tools are shipped all around the world every day on non air ride trucks, and often in places with far worse roads than Canada.

I would just make sure the lube system is working and put the thing in service.

The shipping bracket is for the Z axis ball screw, it can in fact be damaged during transport from brinelling.........this is just one web page that i found.

NSK - False Brinelling

I would not haul or ship a cnc machine unless it was on an air ride truck or on a special pallet, purpose built for the machine.

I'm sure there are lots of cnc machines hauled on non air ride trucks and end up fine?
In Michigan as crappy as our roads are I would not even think about taking the chance!

Kevin

I would not be too woried about a few lorry rides, my experiance and i have several machines that have issues with this style of damage and its on a small arm on a needle roller bearing that only move a couple of degrees. Normally takes north of 6 million cycles to exhibit wear and a few bumps aint going to get you there on a typical lorry ride even of a few thousand miles.

Bouncing -- with 'air time' -- is probably worse for machines than just impact jarring. If you ensure the entire machine moves as a unit, rather than allowing repeated micro-impacts between parts, then road trips are survivable. This usually translates to strapping the machine's moving parts to the main body, so they cannot move in relation to each other. For instance, on a basic knee mill, strap the table down to the knee, independently of the tiedowns to the trailer. On a surface grinder, if you can't remove the table, strap it to the main casting to eliminate vertical impacts. So it's not only supporting the weight (downward force) but preventing the bounce up -- and thereby avoiding the bounce down.

Chip

Back