What's new
What's new

Machine weight vs forklift capacity?

SND

Diamond
So far all I can find to rent locally in 4x4 (Manitou I think ) forklifts is a 10,000lb capacity, its supposed to weigh about 16,000 itself.
Seems that's cutting it pretty close for a 7500lb machine eh? That's assuming it had no problem/bad maintenance and can even lift its capacity... Probably even worse if I attempt this at -20 in winter on a possibly slippery road, I have to unload about 1/2km away.

Don't know about the weather or road complications, but in my neck of the woods, if a machine is rated for 10K then it will lift that capacity, and probably more. If your load is truly only 7500lb and the machine is rated for 10,000lb and you can get the load back against the apron it should be a cake walk.

Stuart

depends on part shape and where center of gravity is. if weight too far out, rear end of fork truck can loose traction and go airborne. very fast
never pick load higher than a 1". if 2 feet up and fork truck tilts it goes fast til load touches ground and lower forks, truck rear comes down hard. they dont usually have shocks or springs

Is Manitou the location? As in near Fort Francis, Ont? If yes, try in Dryden. Old info, but there was rentals of larger capacity forklifts when I needed years ago. If no, where the heck are you?

Lucky7

Just forget that zoom boom feature. If it's -20 inspect the forks and their attachment closely. Steel gets brittle at those temps. You likely know more about driving in slickness than we.

Two points ...

If the Forks are rated at 10K and the load is 7.5K and placed correctly on the forks then there is NO problem whatsoever provided the Fork Lift is maintained.

Secondly, a Fork Lift's tyres are hard rubber not pneumatic and because of that can slide on icy surfaces.

John:typing:

I think Manitou is the brand of it, but just found a different one that might be 11k/cap. I'm looking into the ground going 4x4 drive type, not the more common for concrete pads. I got some uphill and downhill, asphalt and gravel going on, my driveway is about 600' gravel, but gotta unload further up the road on a flat spot. Perhaps I should first check if the big volvo front end loader that unloaded my 5500lb vmc a few years ago would handle another ton or so.
Machine would be a turning center(on skid/pallet)
I hadn't thought about the full height rating, should be ok then as it would only be to lift it off a flat bed and then its staying only a few inches to clean the ground.
I had told myself I'd never move another machine in here in winter, but there's a couple ok deals and I'm a bit worried the CAD/USD exchange will drop soon so I might have to do this again, ugh. Crappy part is its too late not to get the tax deduction this year, so it might wait anyway.

If I am thinking of the right forklift its no problem. The difference between machine capacity and overall weight is because that 4x4 is a long beast. The machine is probably over twice the length of a similar capacity pneumatic, and near 3 times the length of a warehouse tire machine.

It will act springier than a standard forklift with those big tires but it will be more solid than an articulating loader.

Two points ...

Secondly, a Fork Lift's tyres are hard rubber not pneumatic and because of that can slide on icy surfaces.

John:typing:

Manitou 4x4 sounds like one with bigger air tires.

Couple of bags of fine gravel are good idea in any case...

Thanks all.
I looked a bit more into the same loader as before and looks like it should lift 8000lb+ fine. The adjustment/control on those sure aren't the smoothest but eh.
Anyway, I'll decide in the next few days if I risk it and give this a go or push it too spring/summer time.

It all depends on how big the machine is and the center of gravity. A 10k lift rated at 24” will probably pick 12k+ at 12” (if hyd are strong enough). That same lift will struggle with 7,500 48” out. In other words, if the machine is 6’+ wide, you may struggle with a 10k lift.

Also be aware that most 10k telescope lifts will only pick 10k with the outriggers down, meaning you can pick it up but can’t travel with it. The rating drops way down when you lift the outriggers.

IMO there is no issue with the machine's capacity as long as the forks are long enough but two issues should be addressed.

I wouldn't attempt it in slippery weather unless the fork lift can be equipped with tire chains.

The other thing is that the load should be solidly strapped/chained to the carriage, not the backrest if moving it any distance with a rough terrain lift. If it slides it may come off.

Back