What's new
What's new

Moving an 8,000 lb paperweight. (Press brake)

ajk2004

Aluminum
Guys,
I recently bought a press brake and it was delivered to me today. My shop sits a little ways from my house and when I got there the driver already had the forklift and brake off the trailer. I couldn't believe he pulled it off where he did because there is about 50 ft of grass between there and my shop. I told him kindly that it needed to go in my shop. I then watched with amazement as he drove a 15000+ lb forklift carrying a 8,000 lb dries and Krupp press across the grass!! He made it. I could. not. Believe. it. Anyway. He got the brake on the gravel and I breathed a sigh of relief. That didn't last long as he awkwardly ended up getting the fork stuck in what I thought were packed crushed rock. The driver got frustrated and ended up pulling it out with his semi with me driving the fork.
So now I have a press brake sitting in front of my shop. Not sure what to do now. It is right in front of my door. He was so close!! I thought about renting a 5000 lb forklift and sort of walking it to the shop and getting it in that way. I also have a mini excavator that is decent size and I thought about trying to lift a side up just enough to slide rods/plywood under it and skidding it around. I could also put plywood underneath the fork to keep it from sinking in. What would you guys do?
Andy

Some pics would be nice. It's hard for me to visualize what you are dealing with.

Ok, I see your problem, it's upside down.

All joking aside, the ground conditions don't look all that bad. What kind of lift was it that got stuck? Looks like some 3/4 plywood would hold up.

Any other requirments your having to work with?

Looks to me like a pneumatic tire forklift should be able to work in that.

I've moved much heavier machines with heavier forklifts in worse condition, and its do able.

Worse come to worse, let the forklift pack crushed concrete, dunnage and steel plate down to the point of refusal.

Doing it with a small inside lift with slick little tires would be another story....

Buy some 4x4s, long enough to prevent press from falling over. Bolt them onto the press, under the feet.

Buy some 6x6s (longer than press is long)at the lumberyard. Take chainsaw and cut a wedge from each end.

Jack up the press high enough to slide the 6x6s under the press. Bolt them in place.

Use rollers to jockey the press around. Use chainsaw to trim 4x4s as needed.
You have a come a long, right?

Perhaps overhang the 6x6s and install casters instead of rollers?

4x4 angle iron could sub for the wooden 4x4s, but cannot be cut by your chainsaw. Borrow the neighbors chainsaw.

IMG_0195.jpg

Once you have "runners" under it, I think you can take it from there. If you have two, 12ft lengths of 6x6 angle iron, slip them under the feet, and tack weld a cross piece of ferrous metal between the runners, over the feet, each end, to capture the press to the runners.

You should have from this point

Congratulations on the press, nice to have one around.

Call the driver back and tell him to finish the job. If it's not where you need it to be, it might as well be in the parking lot of the local WalMart.

Two or three steel road plates and a 10K pneumatic tire forklift should have that sorted in half an hour.

Chip

Just rent a 10,000# lull that's a 48'reach and boom it inside the shop. It will be too big to maneuver inside your shop though. You have a lot more options once it is on concrete.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to try the skid method at this point. I'm going to take some angle iron and tack weld it to the feet and put long round stock under it and try pulling it with the mini excavator first. I'm going to try to rig up a couple trailer jacks to jack up one end at a time to assist me with this. I enjoy the comments about the walmart and using the neighbors chainsaw :D Thanks guys!
Andy

Got a neighbor with a telehandler? I moved my 12k lbs brake into my shop with our 7k lb rated Gehl AL730. Or even a neighbor with a good sized wheel loader.

Guys, a little update on the press. I tried getting it in yesterday and succeeded!! I will post the story with hopes that it will help others. I started with buying two heavy duty trailer jacks. I am always in need of these anyway and it was money better spent then renting a forklift. I welded square tubing perpendicular to them so i could use them to jack up one end at a time. I had six pieces of 3/4" round stock that I placed under the brake at a time. I did this because I was able to jack up the brake. At that point the brake would slide with ease. The excavator I used is an old gray market machine (pretty sure it was imported illegally to the US). All of the gauges and warning signs are in Japanese. I was able to push/pull it where I wanted it just by jacking and repositioning rods. I was surprised how easy it was. Thanks for all the help. I should mention that I used angle iron on each side under the feet so the rods could slide easier.

IMG_0417.jpgIMG_0418.jpgIMG_0419.jpgIMG_0420.jpgIMG_0421.jpg

Sorry that the pictures are jacked up. They are on my phone and look correct when I import them but they are sideways or upside down on here

Back