What's new
What's new

Moving a manual HBM

efini13

Plastic
I was curious if anyone here has shipped a manual horizontal boring mill without removing the table. Our company just bought a 4" Shibaura BT10b with a rotary table in Pennsylvania and we need it shipped to Jacksonville Florida. The rigging company and a few other sources have said the table is usually removed and the head is blocked up with cribbing/dunnage before shipping the unit. I was told this would help keep the table from getting slammed around and possibly damaged during shipping. I don't understand why the head wouldn't be removed as well, and why the table couldn't be locked and strapped around the bottom of the machine to limit any movement. I was also told the table is usually removed to avoid any issues with permit loads. After doing a little research the permits with this particular unit wouldn't be a problem at all. My problem with disassembling the unit before shipping is having someone else put it back together not knowing exactly how it was taken apart. The person putting it back together would most likely be me. While I'm confident I could do it, I'm not so confident I could do it correctly in a reasonable time frame. Right now I want to take a chance shipping it assembled. Does anyone have any opinions/input on possible solutions for a move of this type? Is there something I'm overlooking here?

I didn't find any conclusive specs by googling the model number. I didn't know Shibaura made machine tools. I thought they just made diesel engines.

When I bought my 4" Kuraki w/rotary table it was hooked to power, but the air was not on so the rapids would only work in one direction (air clutches run the rapids). I hand cranked the table to the far end (about stroked out doing that part!). I found a 2" by 3' foot steel bar in the plant and locked the counterweight in the column through the locking hole. I blocked under the head with wood, pulled all the way covers off and called that good.

I jacked the machine up 6" and set it on cribbing and a rigger charged me $500 to load it with their versalift. With the covers off it was about 9' wide, 10' tall and 20' long. 42,000 lbs total.

I don't understand why you would take the table off. It's not a divisible load. with way covers off it shouldn't be a mile wide. Is it too heavy for a 3 axle trailer?

Shibaura DID make machine tools until the Toshiba name replaced it. We also just acquired a TX-13 VTL which I'm real excited about. This HBM weighs in around 40k lbs. Our plan was to remove the way covers to get width down under 9' 6" or whatever the law stated. I think the permits were required due to the height. I just wanted to make sure this was possible. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm thinking the weight is the problem, not the height.

You allowed 13'6" and a standard lowboy is about 21" when loaded.

Where in Pa is this coming from ?

If your Shibaura doesn't have one I got an extra quill support/spindle extension with my Kuraki. I'd just like the $350 I got stuck paying for it back.

If the head has a counter weight chain attached to the head then inside the column is is some counter weights. The you Tube shows show 2 holes on outside of column. Toshiba Shibaura Model BT 1BR1 4in Table Type Horizontal Boring Mill 1977 - YouTube this on has it and it's says 4" and if you look at top right side of head you can see a chain.

Anyway if it does then slide in some 2" or size of holes Cold roll steel bars through the holes in the column and weights. Usually you feed the head down and like the other guy said crib under the head to take the weight off the vertical screw and nut by hand after the weights are supported.

I would check with a LTL or Rigging company in that state to see if there are restrictions on weight and width of machine on the roads. Better to move it in the winter and not the spring. If it's to big you can buy special permits. Most of the time they take the tables off because they stick out to wide. I have seen where riggers load machines diagonal on the trailer. I would think you will have to get a Low Boy Trailer.

Also if it has Oil in the machine, you should drain it. If it leaks on the hwy. you will get fined. Tie up the control and read-outs. Be sure to tell trucker you want machine tarped or hauled on a Conestoga trailer. Be sure they do not run chains over the metal way surfaces. Many times the base has holes in it for chains to tie it down. You might be money ahead to be there when they load it and be sure all the electrical prints and manuals go with it. Many companies also have maintenance reports for it to. They are handy if you do any repairs . Good luck

Last edited:

Back