What's new
What's new

Moving parking violator car with forklift

Cannonmn

Stainless
Here’s the sign I put at the end of my parking space where an unknown red car has been parking early in the AM. The owner of the car doesn’t work very close by, I’ve checked around. So in case I have to move his car with the only tool I have, a forklift, what’s the least-destructive method that doesn’t take much time? We could either drag it, lift it with a pair of nylon straps, or put the forks under and raise them. I feel he’ll get the message and not park there anymore, but if he’s stubborn or stupid, .... too bad!

61DF3680-F969-487C-B1BC-F055EA7F4D6E.jpg

I would be very hesitant to move someones car with my forklift. There are rules you need to follow to tow cars, and not following them could cost you a lot of money. If your lot is properly signed, just call a tow company and have him towed.

Thanks I’ll check local and state laws on that, I should have realized that this occurs often enough for litigation and legislation to happen.

Just had that situation in my parking lot and the tow truck driver said I should have signs posted but he towed it anyway

I have had cars towed from my property. Here all that needs to be done is call the towing company. When they come the made sign a form that says the property is mine and they drag it away.

FWIW, I've moved cars that I owned with a pair of 7' long forks on a 5K forklift, lifting from the side, didn't hurt them. Could damage some cars that way though.

If it's an emergency, like a truck is blocked, I'd wrap a strap around the axle or A Arm and just drag it.

I had some asshole park in the driveway in front of the farm house. Out in the middle of no where, clearly a private residence. Only a neighbor across the street, no body else for about a mile in a couple directions.

First time the car shows up on a Saturday, I let it go, figured someone had car trouble and had to get off the road. It's gone Sunday, I figure it's not a problem anymore.

Next weekend I go down to the farm on Saturday, and the car is back. I was FURIOUS. Called the sheriff, they said they couldn't get a hold of the owner, basically blew me off.

Figured out, what your supposed to do is call a tow company, they haul the vehicle and then deal with the owner.

I was working in the shop all that day, and I can't really see the house from the shop. But the car left some time that Saturday.

I decide to solve the problem myself, until I get a gate put up m, I drove the F800 over and used it to block the driveway.

Second time that car showed up I wanted to flip it over with the forklift and leave it on it's hood with the tires slashed. I was pretty mad. But best to not do something like that.

Last edited:
Y'all have no imagination..

There are plenty of things you can do that you can't get in trouble for.. Or at least
can't get easily caught... Or at least can't get in major trouble if you do get caught.

Dog poo under the door handle..

A big horse syringe of early morning stinky yellow piss through the weather stripping onto
the driver seat..

Pop the wheel weights off.

A few gallons of diesel in the tank..

Drain the oil.

Take the valves out of the valve stems on the tires.

Park your forklift behind it so it CAN'T move.

Put up a handicap sign real quick, paint the lines blue and call the cops.

Superglue the wipers to the windshield.

In high school, just to be dicks, one guy would park two inches away on the left and another
2 inches away on the right so they couldn't get in the car... The kid who's parents bought
him a LeCar (those POS french things with 3 lugs per wheel) would find his car picked up
and turned sideways in his parking spot quite often, no forklift needed...

If you just want to fuck with 'em where they won't know what the hell happened.. Anti-freeze
on the windows.. Really fucks with your night vision, and when it rains you get all kinds
of weird prismatic color things going on that give you a wicked headache.. Carwash won't
take it off, soap and water won't take it off.. It'll send you to the eye doctor making
you think you can't see. Screwed me up pretty bad for a while thinking my eyes were going
to shit.. Small leak on my water pump bearing.. Alcohol takes it right off, but not soap and water.

Have fun with it... Don't go to jail.

If it was blocking my drive and I really needed out , legally one should call a tow truck the syringe of piss through the window sounds fitting

There are plenty of things you can do that you can't get in trouble for.. Or at least
can't get easily caught... Or at least can't get in major trouble if you do get caught.

Blah Blah Blah

Small leak on my water pump bearing.. Alcohol takes it right off, but not soap and water.

....and then they burn your shop down....

The OP has already identified himself with the note.

Dog poo under the door handle..

A big horse syringe of early morning stinky yellow piss through the weather stripping onto
the driver seat..

Pop the wheel weights off.

A few gallons of diesel in the tank..

Drain the oil.

Take the valves out of the valve stems on the tires.

Park your forklift behind it so it CAN'T move.

Put up a handicap sign real quick, paint the lines blue and call the cops.

Superglue the wipers to the windshield.

In high school, just to be dicks, one guy would park two inches away on the left and another
2 inches away on the right so they couldn't get in the car... The kid who's parents bought
him a LeCar (those POS french things with 3 lugs per wheel) would find his car picked up
and turned sideways in his parking spot quite often, no forklift needed...

If you just want to fuck with 'em where they won't know what the hell happened.. Anti-freeze
on the windows.. Really fucks with your night vision, and when it rains you get all kinds
of weird prismatic color things going on that give you a wicked headache.. Carwash won't
take it off, soap and water won't take it off.. It'll send you to the eye doctor making
you think you can't see. Screwed me up pretty bad for a while thinking my eyes were going
to shit.. Small leak on my water pump bearing.. Alcohol takes it right off, but not soap and water.

How many of those things did you do to your ex partner?

Did the note get results? Be polite and kind first. Then be firm if needed..
Do any thing harmful and if the parker is a hard-nose and likely a broken shop window the result..
You may even find the person very nice and allow them to park at a designated spot.
Qt:[sign I put at the end of my parking space] or are you the hard-nose and hopping mad because you think that is your spot?

I would be very hesitant to move someones car with my forklift. There are rules you need to follow to tow cars, and not following them could cost you a lot of money. If your lot is properly signed, just call a tow company and have him towed.

Absolutely call a professional. They are insured and have information on current legal requirements.

Absolutely get some commercial no authorized parking signs that say violators will be towed. You may not be able to do anything until they come back AFTER the signs are posted.

And,

ABSOLUTELY DON'T FOLLOW THE ADVICE GIVEN BY Bobw!

At my old shop I was neighbor to a auto repair shop, terrible for me with the random parked cars. My doors were blocked regularly. If they were open the repair guys would move it when asked, but after hours I had to deal with it. One specific time I had a guy bringing his truck by on the weekend and I told the neighbor on Friday to make sure one car was out of the way. Short version is they didn't get it moved, so I just hooked onto it with my truck and drug it out of my drive and into the street down to the corner. It was off the street and out of my way.

I was tired of asking for access to my own shop, so I figured that I'd just keep dragging them out of the way if they didn't want to move it. Didn't have to do after that but I also bought my own place within the next year or so.

I'd never consider being a neighbor of an auto repair shop again. The customers are terrible and don't care even if the shop guys do.

My drive and shop doors had multiple signs etc, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Get the signs up and also find out in your town whether you have to pay the tow bill or the car owner, depends where you are at who pays. If you have to pay to have it towed, I'd just drag it out on the street before I'd pay. It doesn't take much to break the tires loose on a small car to drag it, so unless you are going a mile or more it won't even flat spot the tires.

Back