What's new
What's new

Moving a Tree Mill

Gwizdak

Plastic
I am picking up a New to me Tree Mill and LeBlond lathe. The equipment is 3 hours away and I am hiring a company to extract the machines and deliver to my house. I have a few questions.

1) I have read about flipping the head 180 to ship. Do I need to do this?
Y
2) strapping down the Mill and lathe what is the best way?

Any other things I shoud know?

Thanks Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 166
Tipping it would lower the center of gravity, but the Tree mill head is an oil bath type and the oil will probably leak out. I would just add extra straps. I think it is close to 3000 lbs.

Dave

Unfortunately, I was looking for pics of when I moved mine the last time and can't find them. I think....? that I laid the head 90 deg to the right with the filler cup above horizontal and blocked the head with a 4x4 against the table. I don't remember oil leaking, but this might be a memory based on fantasy. The Tree manual states that the head is shipped inverted for compactness, but it was probably shipped dry also. For a 3 hr tour, if strapped correctly by professionals, shouldn't be a problem...he says. I hired a rigger and they strapped the hell out of it every which way. I did lower the table to the very bottom of the travel and if I did tilt the head over and block it, that would make a very nice heavy compact package.

We move a lot of mills. Only time we ever spin the head is to get through a low door or something, otherwise we leave it upright.

Ok thanks for the info. I am planing on bringing some lumber to put between the head and the bed.

Thanks Paul

Ok thanks for the info. I am planing on bringing some lumber to put between the head and the bed.

Thanks Paul

I am fond of used tires for that, and for "lassoing" uprights as an attach point for straps.

Cheap "rubber" doormats from a "Dollar.." type store can be used flat, cut and stacked, or rolled-up and jammed into places to work with timber, etc. that need that to protect wheels and handles and such as well.

Here are some pictures of similar machines.

023.jpg024.jpg

I've got pictures of a lathe somewhere. I live chains, but straps would work if done right.

I am picking up a New to me Tree Mill and LeBlond lathe. The equipment is 3 hours away and I am hiring a company to extract the machines and deliver to my house. I have a few questions.

1) I have read about flipping the head 180 to ship. Do I need to do this?
Y
2) strapping down the Mill and lathe what is the best way?

Any other things I shoud know?

Thanks Paul

If you are paying a company, don't they know how to rig them?

Yes, I just want to make sure they do it right.

Thanks

Got the same attitude about my Dental work.

Learned a long time ago to just pick a GOOD one, open my damned mouth, but say little!

If he actually knows less than I do about his Day Job, I am badly f****d, no matter WHAT I know.

Riggers are much the same, but prefer amateurs keep their mouths shut.

And "at a safe distance", so as not to be a distraction, let alone outright safety hazard.

:D

I agree in not coaching riggers. Could cost you extra and it's their liability.

We haul our own iron. It's always a good rule to first prevent machine from shifting fore/aft and side to side. Screw lumber to bed and block in place if gifted with wood bed. If not, chains around the base will suffice. Secondly, independent straps/chains in multiple directions at as high a point as reasonably possible. Mills can tip beneath a strap or chain just thrown over the top. Distance hauled is often a factor in the decision and it should not be. Just as much chance of upsetting while pulling in the driveway from a block away as merging 100 miles away. Any load worth keeping deserves a 10 mile inspection to ensure any initial shifting didnt leave a loose link.

Just my practice but all my iron makes it safely.

Back