What's new
What's new

Need guidance on purchasing/shipping out of state machine

Racer-X

Plastic
Hello,
I am hoping I can get some genuine guidance on getting an out of state lathe.

I am in the midwest, and been scouring the local 4sales for a lathe for a month.
Nothing local, and when there is something local, it is priced at twice what it is worth.

I see lots of lathes for sale on the other side of the country, at fair prices.
I would appreciate any advices on how a person would get a lathe shipped across the country.
Also, I am not in good health, my physical strength/joints is deteriorating quickly....so I physically can't even attempt to help in any capacity.

Please, if one purchases a lathe from an individual.....how does he get it shipped to him? How does one get it off the truck into his garage.
Thank you for any help, and please no attacks for not being able to find this info in the search.
I am new to this, and don't even know where to start, who/what to call, etc....
Thank you.

If your health is not the best do not by used from unknown party as no way to check and transport is a problem.

Best option is a dealer that can ship a new one and you will pay more but will be good to go.

Second option is ask for members in your area to help with possible setup and maybe Sale of something they have extra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

We are a machinery moving outfit and just loaded up a bunch of machine tools in TN that a customer bought from CA. I never even met the guy in person. We normally do all the rigging where he bought the stuff is how we made the connection, they recommended us.

I guess what I'm saying is you need to find a good rigging company in the area where you purchase the lathe. I know, that's easier said than done, but you should be able to talk to some people in the area and get a idea of who you can trust. Also you have to keep payment terms in mind. On the project mentioned above, I required payment before the stuff was loaded on the truck. I understand that this requires a lot of trust on the side of the customer but that's my policy in dealing with new customers across the country. It's hard enough to get local customers to pay at times, I'm not chasing my money 2,000 miles away.

With all that said, on a smaller lathe, the seller may have a forklift and can load said lathe himself. Then all you would have to do is line up trucking.

When you get it, since you said you aren't able to do anything yourself, you're pretty much going to have to hire a rigging outfit. Go to local machine shops and ask who moves their machines.

Back