What's new
What's new

Need help identifying Clark forklift and transmission issue

forklift

Plastic
I purchased an old Clark forklift, but have been unable to identify it. It seems that everything that I find that looks similar is a Towmotor.

In some of the provided pictures, the lift is disassembled, as we are working on it. We have everything functioning, except for the clutch/inching brake. If the lift is started, there is grinding if you attempt to shift gears (forward/reverse). I have removed the inspection plate on the transmission and the clutch is completely mechanical. When the pedal is depressed, the plate comes in contact with 2 tabs, but nothing happens.

I appreciate any input that anyone can provide. This is my fist forklift and working on it is more difficult when I don't even know the year/model.

20170708_193144_resized.jpg20170708_193408_resized.jpg20170708_193157_resized.jpg20170708_193215_resized.jpg

Is it just a normal mechanical dry clutch? I'm not overly familiar with forklifts but typical clutches will have three tabs, perhaps one is missing/ broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just a normal mechanical dry clutch? I'm not overly familiar with forklifts but typical clutches will have three tabs, perhaps one is missing/ broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen at least 2 tabs, but I will search for a 3rd tomorrow. I thank you for taking the time to respond!

Your forklift is a Clark Clipper. There should be an adjustment on the clutch linkage.

Steve

Thank you so much for identifying the lift for me! Also, I believe I have seen the linkage that you are speaking of and will attempt to adjust it tomorrow. I will follow up after I attempt the adjustment.

If you need to change the disk or pressure plate,check the input shaft for pins, as some of those small Clarks of that era used a easy change clutch design. Every part of those clutch will pass out through the access cover. If you only have a small access cover, the entire transmission or engine will have to come out for repair(I always took out the radiator and engine so not to mess with the brakes and mast).

Parts would need to be sourced through a parts house as most forklift dealers have not been able to get those old parts for 15-20 years. Service manuals don't exist anymore unless someone has an old moldy/greasy one left from the '50s.

Mike

I was unable to work on the lift yesterday. I had to help someone else with a project and the forklift is at my father in laws. It may be a week before I can inspect it, but I will respond after I have worked on it. I thank everyone for their assistance so far!

Thanks to Steve!

Your forklift is a Clark Clipper. There should be an adjustment on the clutch linkage.

Steve

I was able to fix the issue by adjusting the linkage. Initially, I thought it had already been adjusted to the full extent, but was fooled by a sleeve on the adjustment nut. I truly appreciate everyone's assistance/ideas and especially Steve for the exact ID and problem fix!

That lift has a lot of similarities with my old Clark lift, model number on it was HUT8, it was an 8K lift, I think there was a HUT6 also. Serial number was stamped in the flat plate on right side of lift just below where your right foot sits, if it has been painted a few times, you might have to do some sanding to find it.

Below is only pic I can find of the old Clark

Attachments

• clark 1.jpg
    clark 1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 570

Back