What's new
What's new

nice trailer from Drake- but its down under...

Very nice.

Go to a local builder like Rodgers and they do custom models.

IIRC Milacron showed that axle assembly, it comes out of Texas somewhere.

30 ,000 less the forklift doesn't leave a whole lot. Anybody here familiar enough with bridge formula BS to know what it could tote here? Looks to me like a single drop with 3 axles would beat it 6 ways from Sunday.

Typical lowboy or landoll type trailer would be built for 25 tons, but you can only legally scale 15 to 20, depending on the weight of the trailer.

The biggest problem is the width between the axles. Just like those car hauler trailers, you can't haul anything wide. If you're spending this kind of $, it's nice to be able to haul whatever you want.

Seems to me those Fender/Wheel assemblies sticking up above the deck would really limit the uses of the trailer. I have an 18' Centreville 10k lb tilt deck trailer. I know it is a different class (much lighter weight) but mine has the fenders sticking up too and there are times I wish it was a deck over trailer- much more versatile.

In the picture is a Murray 16 tire expandable trailer I bought in 1975, two million miles on it or so and still going. When new it weighed in at 10,500 pounds total. The T1 rails are still holding up. Had to do minor welding ahead of the trailer axles a few years back, replace wiring and air lines..

Attachments

• Murray w:jdozer.jpg
    Murray w:jdozer.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 215
In the picture is a Murray 16 tire expandable trailer I bought in 1975, two million miles on it or so and still going. When new it weighed in at 10,500 pounds total. The T1 rails are still holding up. Had to do minor welding ahead of the trailer axles a few years back, replace wiring and air lines..

....and for some strange reason, your pictured trailer seems
to have nothing to do with the OP's posting....gee.

Does that trailer have 8 tires on each axle? You guys out west have all the fun. They won't let you run those the same way here. Bridge laws and what not.

....and for some strange reason, your pictured trailer seems
to have nothing to do with the OP's posting....gee.

Oh gee, you must have for some strange reason, failed to realize the detachable gooseneck trailer sits down on the ground to load just like the Drake except it does that in the front of the trailer instead of the back. In comparison the Murray is lighter and payloads out at 45 US tons while the Drake payloads out at just 15 metric tonnes. That Murray has hauled and easily loaded prolly a thousand or more forklifts in the past 35 years we have used it.

If you're going to spend that much coin on an equipment trailer I think it's a valid comparison IMO....

Does that trailer have 8 tires on each axle? You guys out west have all the fun. They won't let you run those the same way here. Bridge laws and what not.

Yep, 8 tires on each axle, you hit the nail on the head..lol If you take that 16 tire expandable trailer out of the 4 or 5 western states that recognize the bridge spread for permit loads you are screwed. It's legal to use the 8 tires per axle in the eastern states but they won't give us overweight permits so we have to stay legal permit weight for the 4 tire axles. Which puts the two trailer axles at 46,000 lbs in the eastern states vs 60,000 lbs with a western states 10' wide 16 tire group weight permit.

When my son travels across the country in a 9 axle combination lowboy he almost needs a ride-along permit attorney in the truck with him to deal with the DOT.. I'm getting too old to worry about the DOT stuff anymore.. I'd rather play with the plasma table making parts.. lol

Plus I've heard that some tire people won't mess with those axles, too much trouble to work on the inner wheels. With no increase in payload that would make it a non starter.

How do you drive a 5K or smaller forklift with solid tires up on a detachable gooseneck trailer that tall?

Forklifts aren’t to bad to load on the detachable goose neck, pretty easy with aluminum ramps. Only about 7 or 8 inch rise. I've driven my Corvette up on the deck using the same type aluminum ramps as paving machine ramps which are usually a few feet longer. Our solid tire scissor lift loads on those ramps as well and it's more helpless than a forklift..

Paving machines are the worse and less underneath clearance than the forklifts and prolly the worse thing you would ever have to drive on a trailer.. Most paving companies doing highway work have the detachable gooseneck follow the lay down machine down to the end of the lane. Then,load it up and transport it back a mile or so to start the other lift. Much faster than tracking the paver back when you're payroll, trucks & equipment is running 10K+ an hour or so..

One of the good points about that Drake trailer is the nice gradual ramp but squeezing between the tires limits the width to about 5 or 6 feet. I seen those in the USA but they never sold too many. They are great for narrow steel drum rollers and tiny forklifts if that's all you haul. Some paving contractors use ones built just like the Drake for rollers.

Plus I've heard that some tire people won't mess with those axles, too much trouble to work on the inner wheels. With no increase in payload that would make it a non starter.

The axles expand out to 10" wide to get the 62,000 lb 16 tire group weight and easy to change inner tires as well. That 16 tire combination gives us 15,000 lbs extra payload which we need for D8K dozers and such.

Many times the access to jobs and narrow roads make it impossible to add length and more axles getting into jobs so we still use this type in the western states. But as far as to go buy a brand new 16 tire trailer for our company it wouldn't be practical as long as we have access to the old one. Last year I bought a new Rackley 8 tire trailer that you can drive a raised 4WD pickup over the back. Still has the detachable gooseneck but we load about 90% of the equipment over the back.

They built a trailer for the space shuttle and they towed with a little Toyota as an advertising stunt. Kind of crazy, yes, and Jeremy the owner said that when they got it rolling the little Toyota PU tried to slow it down and locked up all four PU wheels burning rubber to get it to stop.

They have a picture of our truck and some others on the Rackley web page.

Rackley Bilt Custom Trailers - Posts | Facebook

If there was anything other than Money Grab to the Bridge Laws, then I would suggest that the Hwy Dept looks at smoothing the abutments up so that 40T doesn't come bouncing on in the first place. Just think what that could doo to save our infrastructure!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If there was anything other than Money Grab to the Bridge Laws, then I would suggest that the Hwy Dept looks at smoothing the abutments up so that 40T doesn't come bouncing on in the first place. Just think what that could doo to save our infrastructure!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Mount the whole bridge on "Lord Mounts".....

Back