What's new
What's new

Old Clark Forklift - need parts and help with ID or Model Number

Mad Dad

Hot Rolled
I have what I think is a very old Clark Forklift. The name Clark is carved into the counter weight at the back of the machine. I can not find an ID or model number anywhere. I need to order at least two new wheels and brake components. Just to give you an idea of the age, it is powered by a flat-head 4 cyc. engine. Any help or link where I can buy parts at a resonable price is much appreciated.

I will try to help you but need more info; Some Clarks have the ser# stamped on the top side of the frame below the hood panels- Could start with CE-CL-Y-Ut-& then some numbers. Is it a solid tire?Air tire? What size are the drive & steer tires? Does it have power steer? Do you have a pic? Any of these will be a place to start?

Don't say flathead automatically = old.

This orange beastie is a 1985 model as close as I can tell (which I realize is an "antique vehicle" at 25+ years on the road ;) )....and it has a Continental Y112 flathead engine in it...runs like a champ!

I happen to buy my Clark parts from Nash Lift somewhere in Kentucky. I have a parts book which helps...I ask them to quote the parts, I then decide what to order and they UPS them to my door. I ordered my mast rebuilding seal kit from Hercules Bulldog on an excellent tip from PM Member Metlmunchr. I had to use Motion Industries as a middleman to get to H-B.

As far as tires...I hadn't needed those yet...but would likely have to contract with a forklift shop to press the tires on (we're talking a *real* press for the cushion tires). But would hope to just take the tires & wheels to them which they could work on when other repair work was slowed in exchange for a slightly better deal.

Matt, When needing tires-I would call the forklift dealers and shop around. We used to quote a price installed and had a regular route our press truck went on. You sometimes get a better deal by buying the tires from the dealer and taking the wheels to them to press and they usually figure a dollar a cross inch to press. We charged more per cross inch if you brought your own new tires in to press. It was sort of like taking your own bacon and eggs to the diner and asking them to fry them-they need to make money somewhere.

Hey Matt,

I was hoping you would chime in :D. I'm glad to hear the flatheaded beast might not be as old as I thought. Could you post a bigger picture of your forklift? It's hard to tell from the smaller picture, but my machine looks very much like yours. I paid $300 for mine. It runs great but won't stop worth a darn. I've lifted over 2500 lbs with it before with no complaints from forklift.

Bigais,

I will take a close look at the area you mentioned for a serial or model number. Thanks for the tip on the tires.

Here ya go...

This one has undergone a thorough rebuild (headgasket, brakes, mast cylinder, steering sector/rear "axle")...slowly...but nearly working great now. The rebuilt starter motor and a new battery is the final piece of the puzzle.

shop_move_01.JPG

Mad Dad, do the engine side covers look like Matt's? They are hinged at the back and open from the front to the back. These came out around the early 70's. Sixties machines were similar, but had a chrome grill at the front where Matt's has a stamped hole. See pic of my 1970 model here http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157214 ,since pretty much completely restored. Fifties models had side covers hinged at the top, which swung up towards the seat. I too got my brake parts from Nash Lift, still can't believe how inexpensive they were. If like mine or Matt's, there should be a model and capacity tag on the front of the dash, behind the mast. You can just see a piece of it in Matt's pic on the left side, although mine is in the same place on the right side. Good luck, Jim.

Mine looks a little like Matt's unit. Where his says "Clark" on the side, mine has hinged (at the top) covers (sheet metal with vents) on both the passenger and drivers side. Mine also has a round-tube roll bar. I'm guessing it has to be a very early model.

Hope you can find something...it took me months to find the "deck number" stamped in the mast channels even though they are stamped in big characters :o

I am not sure if you have an automatic or manual transmission...but if automatic, I simplified the brake setup considerably and eliminated the "inching" pedal (all I found it good for was a lurching pedal) and its shuttle valve that puts the trans in neutral. It probably has a definite place for warehousing but not for a machinery mover/rigger. Works great without it and I'll never miss it.

I think you are describing my truck.

Do you have:
two shift levers lo-hi// fwd rev
parking brake lever next to shift lever
gauges, start button located on panel between legs
round sheet metal cover over top tilt cyclinder between shift levers
round roll bar that fits into two pipes on front,has two flat plates at rear
fill hydraulic tank next to control levers
counterweight is fatter/wider at the bottom
brake and gas pedals are cast iron, curved pivot under floor boards
Battery behind radiator crosswise 6 volt

If so then it think they called it a "Clipper". Mine built 1943,company I bought it from sold it to he first owner and had maintained it with all the records.

Mad Dad if you look at the picture of Matts lift see the small rectangular hole on the side to the rear of that hole should be the truck serial number I used a wire brush to find mine , many layers of paint , Iused to rent from a fork lift co. and they showed me where its located .

Mad Dad

Well that's cool. I'll look tomorrow but I'm almost sure the serial number is located on side frame just over the edge by the gas pedal. Letters are about 1/2-5/8" tall

I just redid my brakes and the parts are available through automotive parts houses. They are Wagner brand parts, lot less than going through a truck dealer.

Is yours solid tire or air.? Mine has air tires.

FWIW:
If truck has solid tires it is most likely a "Clipper"- "CE" If it is larger solid tire then most likely a "Carloader" ser# CL-xxx-xxx- If it has Air tires then it is a "yardlift" which has a ser# starting with Y20-xxx-xxx. The older models 47 through 49 had single tilt cylinders and then went to 2 tilts.

bigais

yes, you are correct, my number does start with a Y.

I remembered the "Clipper" term when the local dealer was trying to get parts figured out for mine.

It does have a single lift cylinder

So I am the proud owner of a "1943 Yardlift" :D

Mine has solid tires. Not sure what you mean by larger tires since I don't have anything to reference against. The front tires are much larger then the rear tires.

MwTech, would you mind posting a piture of your machine? If you still remember, can you share with me the brand and part number of the brake components?

This group never ceases to amaze me with it's vast knowledge. Thanks to all!

Mad dad

Maybe if I sweet talk her she will "pose" for a picture :D

Will work on the part numbers etc.

I had a local company reline the shoes, thinking 35-40 bucks for both sets. Came back very nice.

Andy

That is a Mod. CF20 or 25. Clarklift 2000 or 2500# mach. with a 2 speed tranny and a friction clutch.The ser# should be stamped in the frame on the area under the hood. Just forget whether R. or L. side? Built in the 60's and 70's . A good truck.

Back