What's new
What's new

OT: 11 foot 8 inch bridge height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a low railroad bridge on the Bradey St hill in Davenport, IA. The local morning show DJs there, Dwyer and Micheals, used to publish a calendar every year of trucks eaten by that bridge. Not sure if they still do.

I see a great opportunity there to open a rooftop air conditioner repair/replacement, and box truck refurbishment center just on the other side of that bridge.

That last one had me laughing pretty good.

Their is a low RR bridge in Delaware Ohio that eats about a truck a month. Dumb ass truck drivers don't read the signs for a mile or so each side of it. Must be 4 on each side with flashing lights, makes no difference, I don't know how many trucks I have seen jammed under that bridge.

We have a very low railroad bridge near us. Over the first 12 years we lived near the bridge, I think one truck hit it. Suddenly, we had one peeling the roof off every month or two. After about 3 years, it suddenly stopped again, and I haven't seen one for 3 or 4 years.

My assumption is that there was some sort of change in the truck GPS data that led the trucks to the low bridge, that eventually was corrected.

It's a tough little bridge.

You'd think Penske and Enterprise would be happy to foot the bill to dig the lower road grade down a foot or so.

It looks like there's a beam across the road a couple feet short of the bridge to spare the bridge itself, but the vac truck at 2:30 shakes the snot out of the bridge. I'm not sure I'd want to be the first train across it after that.

You'd think Penske and Enterprise would be happy to foot the bill to dig the lower road grade down a foot or so.

It looks like there's a beam across the road a couple feet short of the bridge to spare the bridge itself, but the vac truck at 2:30 shakes the snot out of the bridge. I'm not sure I'd want to be the first train across it after that.

There is a sewer pipe just below the road bed there so they can't go lower and they would have to grade a mile in each direction to raise the bridge up an extra 3 feet. RR says, nah, its fine, city says, we are not replacing that much of your track so its fine, we will make more warning signs.

The beam is a couple inches lower than the actual bridge and is just used as a guard from damage.

I literally just watched that last night. You would think the local authorities/gov. would do more than just put up a sign if those trucks are constantly threatening the RR structure. Entertaining to watch none the less

Hightstown NJ had a 10 ft bridge. By official police records it had been hit over 500 times! They finally removed it when they abandoned the railroad tracks. Used to see a smashed truck about once a week, despite the flashing lights and warning signs.

Sounds like the low bridge on the Merritt Parkway in NYC. I used to travel that stretch of road for 2 weeks per year and every year I could count on seeing a "yard sale" down road from the bridge. Flashing signs, electric eye detectors triggering more flashing lights and alarm bells did not help.

Rick

We have an 11-7 up the road...gets hammered a few times a year. One time while backing a truck out who didn't hit, a tour bus pulls up and asks "is there really an 11-7 down there?" No there's 10 signs and lights for a joke lol.

Even a normal height freeway bridge gets hit now and then. Local contractor rented a backhoe, tried to do work at two locations on a one day rental. After finishing at the first job he loaded up and rushed off to the second job, he did not lower the hoe enough and it was about a foot to high to go under the Scottlawn road bridge on US 33. It stripped the hoe off the trailer, flipped the new Dodge dualy, Totaled the truck, trailer and backhoe. O yeah, a million dollars damage to the bridge as well.

Even a normal height freeway bridge gets hit now and then. Local contractor rented a backhoe, tried to do work at two locations on a one day rental. After finishing at the first job he loaded up and rushed off to the second job, he did not lower the hoe enough and it was about a foot to high to go under the Scottlawn road bridge on US 33. It stripped the hoe off the trailer, flipped the new Dodge dualy, Totaled the truck, trailer and backhoe. O yeah, a million dollars damage to the bridge as well.

Here in Kansas we got him beat in the idiot driver department .

Backhoe hitting I-7 bridge near Hays, Kansas - McCormick Equipment

I'd guess 70 mph to zero in less than 30 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back