What's new
What's new

OT: 2016 Ford F-150 engine choice

henrya

Titanium
It's time to replace my 12-year-old pick up whether I need one or not. I think I like the Ford F150 4X4s. I tend to keep vehicles a long time (at least 200,000 miles) so I'm wondering about which engine would be the best pick for long term use which will include some but not a lot of light/medium towing. From a service life perspective should I go with the 6 cylinder 3.5 eco-boost (turbo) or the conventional 5 liter V8?

Thanks

They are both very good. I have the Ecoboost in a Taurus SHO, only 36K miles, but no problems.
I take it to reline often, 6500 rpm.
But the 5.0 is simpler, no turbos. Both engines are popular.

My new work truck is a ford transit medium roof with the ecoboost. I've put 22k on it in 6 months without a hitch, plenty of power and acceptable gas mileage. I average about 15 mpg with the van usually having 2000-2500 pounds of cargo in it. I'm happy so far with it.

My new work truck is a ford transit medium roof with the ecoboost. I've put 22k on it in 6 months without a hitch, plenty of power and acceptable gas mileage. I average about 15 mpg with the van usually having 2000-2500 pounds of cargo in it. I'm happy so far with it.

Have you driven new Chev?

I had a 2013 with the long bed, crew cab, 4X4, and 5.0. It drove like a sports car. Ford wants you to have to the Eco but I prefer the 5. I think the warranty is the key. Simply get the best deal after you drive both.

Mine is a 2014 with the 5 liter that I chose for simplicity of it. Great truck so far- mine is the stx (one up from the bottom) and it rides and handles great.

"Have you driven new Chev?"
Have you driven a new Ford?

Chevy ads bad mouth the aluminum bed, I assume they hope folks will have forgotten in a couple of years when they go to aluminum too.

The aluminum body for a work truck doesn't worry you?

Kinda surprised me, the panels are a bit more ridged than the steel ones they had in recent years.

Boss has a 2016 quad cab platinum. with the 5.0 he test drove the ecoboost and said the millage was no better than the 5.0.

Yeah, my father has a 6 month old Chevy in his driveway. I'll stick to the ford. The windshield angle on the Chevy plays with my eyes at night.

Every new truck I buy gets a bed liner right away, if it doesn't already have one from the dealer. Spray on or drop-in with a bed mat. As far as the commercial where they poke a hole in the Ford's bed, you can screw up anything if you try hard enough. I personally don't throw my tool box into the bed of my truck. Dents and dings are part of the "work truck" deal.

My father in law has a 2014 2500 Duramax. He paid for the extended warranty and has had to use it a bunch already. Lots of electrical gremlins. Glowplugs and most of the glowplug system replaced. Entire navigation system replaced. Entire def system had to be replaced- Tank, heaters and all. Truck went into limp mode for def system problem while he was elk hunting. He was not a happy camper to say the least.

He had a minor accident while towing his dump trailer. The 2.5" receiver hitch that bolts to the frame folded right up and failed. I was shocked at how cheezdick those receivers are for what they are rated to tow. They have like an 8" drop down from the frame with .180ish thick material and no lateral support.

He tows a lot and gets single digit fuel mileage towing under 10K lb trailers nice and easy.

I would go with the 5.0
The ecoboost engines seem to have more issues. 2 coworkers have them and both needed internal work just before the war. Ran out.

I know they're different engines (like smaller) but the Ford Ecoboost system over her in the UK ain't all they're cracked up to be, ''known in the trade'' for being temperamental so n sos, and Fords fuel consumption figures seem to be optimistic in the extreme.

FWIW, I was once a solid Ford man, but IMHO, since the mid 1990's they've lost their way.

Bought a new ecoboost F150 3 years ago and had zero issues with anything. If your looking for a max tow package they only come with the 3.5 eco as the 5.0 doesn't cut it. The 3.5 eco is putting out near diesel low rpm torque. I get 16.5 around town and 21 mpg on the interstate.

I got new F150 King Ranch eco boost . 12,000 miles , getting 21 mpg on trips, just traded in a 2012 , with eco boost , when 2012 reached about 18K , mileage went up about 2 miles a gal , think due to drive train getting broke in. I love the eco boost , its QUICK ! Seems like the Alum body is good for about 1.5 miles to gal better on fuel economy .

My father in law has a 2014 2500 Duramax. He paid for the extended warranty and has had to use it a bunch already. Lots of electrical gremlins. Glowplugs and most of the glowplug system replaced. Entire navigation system replaced. Entire def system had to be replaced- Tank, heaters and all. Truck went into limp mode for def system problem while he was elk hunting. He was not a happy camper to say the least.

He had a minor accident while towing his dump trailer. The 2.5" receiver hitch that bolts to the frame folded right up and failed. I was shocked at how cheezdick those receivers are for what they are rated to tow. They have like an 8" drop down from the frame with .180ish thick material and no lateral support.

He tows a lot and gets single digit fuel mileage towing under 10K lb trailers nice and easy.

Wow, I have had almost the exact opposite experience.

I have a 2014 GMC with Duramax/Allison combo. ALL 2014 2500/3500 HD Duramax trucks come with a standard warranty of 5 years or 100k miles. Did he buy his truck new or is it a flood refurbished truck from Texas?

Surprised at his experience as I just clicked over 55k miles and have towed a 17,000 lb trailer with mine getting 13-14 mpg, and get 17 around town not towing and up to 23-24 on the freeway when not towing.

The hitch has been bullet proof and I use a 20k rated forged ball mount with a 5 inch drop . . . and oddly enough, I was rear ended a year ago and had my rear quarter, tailgate and bumper replaced, but the hitch was fine. :confused:

Wow, I have had almost the exact opposite experience.

I have a 2014 GMC with Duramax/Allison combo. ALL 2014 2500/3500 HD Duramax trucks come with a standard warranty of 5 years or 100k miles. Did he buy his truck new or is it a flood refurbished truck from Texas?

Surprised at his experience as I just clicked over 55k miles and have towed a 17,000 lb trailer with mine getting 13-14 mpg, and get 17 around town not towing and up to 23-24 on the freeway when not towing.

The hitch has been bullet proof and I use a 20k rated forged ball mount with a 5 inch drop . . . and oddly enough, I was rear ended a year ago and had my rear quarter, tailgate and bumper replaced, but the hitch was fine. :confused:

Brand new truck. It has spent about 2 months total in the dealership for warranty repairs to this point.

The frustrating part is the issues haven't been minor. They are things that have stranded him. Without the glowplugs the truck would not start. This was in the heat of summer. The Def tank put the truck in limp mode and limited the top speed to 55 MPH with a message that if he refueled it would then limit speed to 4 MPH. He was 2 hours from civilization with under a 1/3 tank. Took the dealer 3 weeks to troubleshoot and finally replace the entire system. Then they didn't know how to reset the PCM after everything was replaced.

If I was buying a brand new truck I would probably go for the 5.0 Ford.

I am a big fan of diesel, but the new pickup engines don't do it for me. Not my kind of diesel engines. definitely not worth the premiums paid.

I am not sold on gasoline direct injection. I have owned a couple new cars with it now and I don't think it's a sound technology. All GM products use direct injection technolgy in their engines since 2014. Their pickup performance is notably slower than a similar equipped Ford. The direct injection powerband is much different.

I think The Ford Modular platform has proven to be a real solid pickup engine even if it doesn't get the same economy as the GM engine using a newer tech fuel system.

I would buy the ecoboost if I was going to trade it in in a couple years. I tend to keep stuff longer and I don't trust the complexity of those engines (same reasoning behind my lack of interest in new tech diesels).

Back