What's new
What's new

OT - Forklift Issues, Could Use Some Help

Augus7us

Plastic
Hey All,

I have a Big Joe 3000LB walk behind lift. This is the first forklift I have owned so I'm not real familiar with all the inner workings of it. I'm hoping you guys can help me out as this thing died on me at the worst possible time. I'm moving my shop and trying to get out by the end of the month...

The forklift is a Big Joe PDC-30-60

The issue I am having is that it will not move forward or backwards but the forks are fully functional. Up, Down and tilt all works fine. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it has plenty. I took the service covers off the handle and the base to see if any wires might have corroded or came loose and I cannot find anything.

I just bought a house and have been tied up for the last couple months, but I did move it about two months ago.

With my limited knowledge I have two possible ideas as to what the issue may be. The first and what I am thinking may be the issue is that the thing will not move unless you pull the handle down first, it used to click when you pulled it down. I'm sure this is a safety of some sort and after some inspection it looks like it disengages a drum brake and engages power when you pull the handle down. Now that it is not working I'm not hearing that click when I pull the handle down.

The other possible issue is the batteries. I got a great deal on it because the original batteries died and someone wired up a marine battery to it. Unfortunately the original batteries are still in it and my shop is not insulated so with big temperature swings all my tools sweat and rust and I'm thinking some battery acid may have dripped down onto wires or some other mechanism and corroded it away.

For those more familiar with lifts do you have any ideas? I read an old post from Milicron where he said that if they stop working out of the blue when it worked fine not too long before it may be an easy fix. I'm hoping so!

I appreciate any help guys, I'm not sure how I'm going to move all my big tools without it or spending a fortune on professional movers...

Thanks,

-Clint

3000 pound lift does not move "big tools". Just saying. Get an ohmeter and trace it out. Good batteries connected to bad? Really? Gives me a warm feeling.

First thing, charge and test the battery(s).

How many hours on it? Does the drive motor need brushes?

Have a helper operate the drive controls while you check voltage at the motor connections. If voltage is present, check the brushes.

If no voltage, start at the battery and trace voltage to motor.

Back