What's new
What's new

OT: LP or electric forklift for intermittent use

alex71

Hot Rolled
Our trusty Yale blew a head gasket the other day. It has some other issues (leaks, etc) and is over 40 years old, but has always done the job. It is a SWB HD short mast 3 stage lift. Rated for 3500, will lift 5.

We use the forklift daily for about 15 minutes total (not continuously). The engine never gets out of choke, plus the exhaust can be a bit obnoxious at times.

Forklift dealer/repair rep was in here the other day to quote an overhaul on the old girl, and i had asked him about the possibility of trading in for a 3K electric. Other than costing more, even with a trade, he though the electric would be a poor fit because an LP would be better for our intermittent use. Something about the battery leading a much shorter life if not discharged under load regularly.

Maintenance would not be an issue. I have a conscientious employee would would be in charge of the lift.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Alex

We've got a 4k lb Yale electric lift that got used with a used battery in it 6? years ago that has been doing well for us on intermittent use and haven't had a single issue with it in all this time that hasn't been operator error. We went forklift shopping a few months back, didn't buy anything, and we were being told that people were going back to diesel lifts with the new Tier 4 emissions rather than electrics or LP since they burn clean enough that you won't even notice.

We bought a used electric Yale 5K lift 18 years ago and have replaced the battery once about 5 years ago (it was expensive). Use it similarly to you, sometimes less. Keep it full of distilled water, charge it once per month, keep the battery clean and corrosion free (check every month when topping off with distilled water). Replaced brakes, power steering pump, put in a seal kit. That's all we have done to it. No issues, no smell. Only negative is you can't hold the brake slightly and creep into something, forward power only works when brake is not engaged, don't know if they all work that way. But given a choice, I would go electric.

15 minutes a day sounds like plenty to me. Four years ago I bought a 30 year old CAT electric forklift with charger for $1800 (with tax and trucking from 120 miles away). Battery pack is pretty shot. But we generally use it for about 30 minutes and then charge it up. Probably could run a couple hours on the battery. But we often take it outside and down a small hill. And I don't want to be out of power outside. So perhaps once a week charge. And water every few months. I would see absolutely no issue with using an electric forklift for 15 minutes per day. Maybe not the optimal usage cycle for a new battery ... but it sounds like you aren't buying a new battery.

-Jim

My coment is how smoth the controls are on a good electric. You realy can creap with out using the brakes on a good truck. Nicest i have ever driven was a old cat electric, that thing was so precise on the controls it was silly, but it sure came in good on setting and moving bits in fab work.

Does the Yale have a Continental F-163 engine in it? They blow head gaskets all the time. It's not hard to change it, a mechanic with basic skills can likely change it in two hours. A gasket set will cost less than a hundred bucks on Ebay. Just make sure to torque the head bolts properly, warm it up and torque them again, warm it up and torque them again.

Put one of the newer electronic ignition systems on it and you probably won't even need the choke. My Towmotor starts instantly now that I've upgraded it. The only time I need the choke is if it has gone over a week without being started.

No point in trashing a perfectly good unit if it can be fixed for so little money.

I've got a lot of experience with both and for your use I say no contest, go electric. For the small amount you use it, buy a used machine with working used battery, and a good quality charger. Don't spend money getting a rebuilt or new battery for your small daily usage. Charge it when it gets to 25% or so. Fill it with distilled water when it needs it. We'd had good luck with both Cat and Yale electrics. Electric is far cleaner, simpler, easier to fix, virtually no PM except greasing.

Jeff

My coment is how smoth the controls are on a good electric. You realy can creap with out using the brakes on a good truck. Nicest i have ever driven was a old cat electric, that thing was so precise on the controls it was silly, but it sure came in good on setting and moving bits in fab work.

I will second this. I hate the controls on a the Hyster electrics where I work, especially with something heavy on the forks...say a 5500# load on a 6500# machine, thus near the machine's capacity. It seems like I go from the motor whining and doing nothing to *wide open 100% power up at max rapid travel* in about .020" of travel on the lever. The tilt is somewhat more controllable for whatever reason.

Now my own IC Clark and IC Hyster...I have complete confidence in as far as creeping up with a heavy load. All the millwrights I've seen setting machinery use IC forklifts as well (which is probably driven by their lack of a charger they can take into the field....) but I've played with roughly 5 other IC forklifts, rented and otherwise borrowed for a few minutes and they all act predictably the same.

A head gasket isn't too bad other than just being dirty work on something that needs to be cleaned up in a tight space. This isn't a race engine.

Depends what you want to do with it...load boxes on trucks, electric no problem. Want to play a rigger on TV...IC. ;)

Recently on a job with a Crown electric. best controls I have ever seen on an electric. This was a late model. Most electrics I have used would jumpwhen you tried to ease into anything.

Does the Yale have a Continental F-163 engine in it? They blow head gaskets all the time. It's not hard to change it, a mechanic with basic skills can likely change it in two hours. A gasket set will cost less than a hundred bucks on Ebay. Just make sure to torque the head bolts properly, warm it up and torque them again, warm it up and torque them again.

Put one of the newer electronic ignition systems on it and you probably won't even need the choke. My Towmotor starts instantly now that I've upgraded it. The only time I need the choke is if it has gone over a week without being started.

No point in trashing a perfectly good unit if it can be fixed for so little money.

One of the problems with buying a used forklift to replace your used forklift is that you may be swapping problems. Head gaskets on forklifts are much easier to fix than on cars. Plus, your forklift is welcome used compared to a warehouse or manufacturing environment. If I was faced with your problem, I would repair the forklift and move on. Maybe put a new coat of paint on it, for some extra pride.

Happy trails.

Really think the engine is the 153 CID Chevy II engine,everybody calls them IronDuke which is a bit differnt animal.

Much more likely since the OP aid it was 40+ years old and the Iron Duke ( dumb name, imo) was introduced in 1977. Parts used to be cheaper than dirt but scarcer now I'm sure. Still no biggie to change a head gasket. If the head is not eroded I would not machine it , just clean up and put a new one in, torque it right, run, retorque and be good for the next 40 years.

Thanks guys--my feeling is an electric would be fine as well.

The current unit is a 1973 model. Iron duke 4 is what I was told, but who the F knows.

I think I have a line on an electric through a FOAF who happens to be one of the largest used material handling equip dealers in the area. May cost me close to nothing. If that works out, that's the way I'll go. Otherwise, we'll replace the gasket.

Thanks all for your input.

I decided to go LP when I got mine due to parts and diagnostics on the electric we had at my old job, the forklift tech never could get the throttle pedal card adjusted just right and it had a random glitch where it would just go dead. I loved it when it worked, it was a very nice machine and I liked the quiet and no exhaust, but when I had to depend on it with me paying the bill if it was down, I went with a lift with an engine where I can diagnose and fix it myself. I have also liked being able to go outside and down the block without worrying about running out of juice. Worst case if I blow a head gasket on mine, it will be the price of the parts and I can fix it myself as soon as I have them in hand. A card goes out or the battery dies for good and I either can't tell if that is what is wrong or I can't afford a new battery.

If you have the money and a person to keep up on it, I would probably go electric as long as it is a nice machine, not a POS.

Back