Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bf0c1b99-c2a0-4233-b262-7a63dfcc6440.jpg7a40c7fb-f47f-4f26-97f3-df7e45ac3cb0.jpgHere’s a little more on how to use roller conveyors in trailers. See additional photos. Don’t follow the bad example in one photo showing light stuff in front and heavy stuff near tailgate, should be the reverse, but since we were only moving a couple of blocks at 20 mph or less, doesn’t matter much. We put Triwall cardboard pieces under each skid to prevent the occasional hangup that happens when some feature on pallet bottom hangs up on the rollers. The rear pallet doesn’t particularly benefit from the conveyors since forklift can place and remove it with no rolling, but both pallets in front were pulled by hand to the rear to allow fork access. Middle one was hundreds of pounds, one on right was only about 150 lbs. Use spare pallets or something as dunnage in front or behind load to prevent load movement due to inertia.
    Last edited by Cannonmn; 12-05-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Fix

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonmn View Post
    ... I do try and be safe as possible under circumstances, for example we bought steel-toe safety shoes for both temps, they wore them one day then never again. We bought a mancage to put on the forklift when someone has to go high up, and neither will go near it, I think they still go pallet surfing when I’m not around, just two old guys with attitudes that no one’s going to change. We have hardhats for head-hazard situations; they’ll never wear ‘em. They do wear the face shields we have when they use the grinder or wire wheels, the only pieces of our safety equipment they’ll use. No idea why that and no other, go figure.
    In the shops and factories I've worked in that had the best safety, management wasn't too concerned about employee attitudes. What they cared about was behavior and if behavior didn't change they were dismissed. Not using safety equipment just wasn't tolerated.
    Last edited by AndyF; 12-05-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo

3. Likes digger doug, Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If THEY are not careful you may end up working for them...

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Nova Scotia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do try and be safe as possible under circumstances, for example we bought steel-toe safety shoes for both temps, they wore them one day then never again. We bought a mancage to put on the forklift when someone has to go high up, and neither will go near it, I think they still go pallet surfing when I’m not around, just two old guys with attitudes that no one’s going to change. We have hardhats for head-hazard situations; they’ll never wear ‘em. They do wear the face shields we have when they use the grinder or wire wheels, the only pieces of our safety equipment they’ll use. No idea why that and no other, go figure.

Fire those dumbasses and use the money to buy a couple of fucking pallet jacks. You've probably already wasted $500 of materials and your labour cost cobbling together a number of dangerous shitty "dollies" that don't work half as well as a pallet jack.. if you'd just bought two of them at the beginning you'd have broken even!

Edited to add: Heaven help your boss if one of the aforementioned dumbasses decides to forklift one of these "dollies" onto racking and it rolls off and kills some unsuspecting guy.

6. Likes digger doug, Monarchist, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't that what dock carts are made for?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like these pallet dollies and may make a few more. There are so many other more likely ways to be injured or killed in a shop that fear of being run over by a runaway pallet dolly is pretty near the bottom of the list. Friday I had to leave town at a certain time and was running late. Needed all the room in the truck empty so I rolled the 4x8 foot pallet dolly up to the truck and threw everything on the pallet dolly and dragged it back inside; very handy for that sort of thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 92947680-9870-4db9-9afa-7c9e9089be1a.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    Isn't that what dock carts are made for?
    Those are made for similar purposes but cost money I’d rather spend on tooling and other things I can’t make myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by isaac338 View Post
    Fire those dumbasses and use the money to buy a couple of fucking pallet jacks. You've probably already wasted $500 of materials and your labour cost cobbling together a number of dangerous shitty "dollies" that don't work half as well as a pallet jack.. if you'd just bought two of them at the beginning you'd have broken even!

Edited to add: Heaven help your boss if one of the aforementioned dumbasses decides to forklift one of these "dollies" onto racking and it rolls off and kills some unsuspecting guy.
    Thanks, have 7 pallet jacks (4 working, 3 awaiting repair), 1 electric pallet jack, 1 electric stacker, 1 propane forklift. And an electric tipper.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Nova Scotia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, have 7 pallet jacks (4 working, 3 awaiting repair), 1 electric pallet jack, 1 electric stacker, 1 propane forklift. And an electric tipper.
    I don't get it then... why not use one of the 4 working pallet jacks, and then use the time and money to fix the other 3?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by isaac338 View Post
    I don't get it then... why not use one of the 4 working pallet jacks, and then use the time and money to fix the other 3?
    There’s very little money involved, I buy heavy-duty casters with broken 5” wheels very cheap, then order the excellent poly-tired cast-iron wheels for $8 ea pls shipping, order 4 at a time to economize on shipping. Takes only a few min. to change wheels on the caster bodies. For me, very arthritic, bad knees and hip etc, walking across shop to fetch pallet jack is a pain, much easier to just pull or push the thing out of the way in the crowded shop. And I think building pallet dollies is fun, and one of a short list of mechanical skills I’ve mastered. If anyone wants link to the cheap but excellent wheels, I can provide.