What's new
What's new

Recommend decent low-cost forklift wireless cctv?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Since it has been a couple years since this topic was discussed here, given the explosion of electronic-digital stuff on the market, please recommend a workable setup to increase driver’s visibility of forks and loads. Our “new” machine is a used Caterpillar 10,000 lb. cap. Machine. I tried picking up a skid that was about 4’ off the floor and found there was NO way to view forks or load, the mast and fork vertical parts obstructed the view very completely. Leaning way out didn’t help enough. I need a cctv camera and monitor. I don’t think mirrors could do it.

Recommendations?

I need one too. The AgCam looks like good stuff, but I'd rather have wireless for mounting on the carriage and I don't see wireless there.

I see lots of choices in wireless trailer backup cameras, I'm interested in trying one of those - Anyone have a good one?

I'm interested too. The Agcam looks interesting, but there dealer locator doesn't seem to work. I put in my zip code, and it shows me on an indian reservation in North Dakota?

oops, sorry about that.

When the agcam first came out, I thought they were wireless, self contained
with the mag mount.

So you could stick it up anywhere (like the bin on a combine) to tell
when it was full.

i started with tadi brothers wireless cameras on my 8K lift, and replaced them with very similar cameras off amazon, which are wired. the wireless setup didn't work well on the forklift, for whatever reason. battery powered sounds great, until about the 3rd time it dies at some inopportune moment.

Getting a camera so I could see really well behind me was pretty easy, seeing forwards is harder, have to work on that some more.

I put in one screen that switches between 2 cameras (forward and backward) - if I redo it there will be a screen for each camera.

Locating the forward looking camera is the hard part - places you think would work great often don't in practice.

Daft question but would insurance accept it or would they simply require the age old approach of a banksman? Whilst i get the idea, and whilst reversing cameras are std these days on loads of things, if you can not clearly see - judge load position would you not be putting your self - your employees out on a limb if something happened???

Here’s a current Amazon search, I looked at a bunch of the ads and nothing in the lower price range looked like the one for me. But did anyone buy one of those shown? Did it work well? I guess one advantage of a cheaper one is ability to buy two, one for each end, but I’d need to make sure they were on separate channels.

Amazon.com: wireless backup camera magnetic

I finally got around to buying something, a member of our machinist’s club said this one works well even tho it is wireless. Cost was the lowest for this model, $20. Under Walmart. Will report on how well it works. It’ll be set up to do rear-view only, I can usually see ahead marginally if I play with forks position. Meanwhile I hung fiberglass storage tubs over important/vulnerable obstructions like mill handwheels for a bit of protection from forklift collisions.

Swift Hitch Wireless Hitch Alignment Camera and Monitor - Night Vision - 4-Hour Camera Battery Swift Hitch Backup Cameras and Alarms �4928

Here’s one of the machine handwheel guards I mentioned, just a heavy-duty fiberglass storage tub hung on the handwheels. We use a color that contrasts with the machines for added visibility. Yes we should arrange the shop so forklifts don’t drive close to machines but in a small shop that’s hard to do.

Attachments

• ABFD29A0-9A1D-4396-8F88-DAB0544A2417.jpg
    ABFD29A0-9A1D-4396-8F88-DAB0544A2417.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 81
I have the Swift Hitch - it works reasonably ok. Getting the right mounting location is important. I have not tried it on a forklift.

Ken

Think it was made for mounting on nonconductive dashboards. When I strapped it with back of monitor unit directly on steel forklift canopy support, it still worked but got annoying horizontal lines in the image. Strapping it there with a couple sheets of cardboard stand-offs seems to fix that. Seems to work fine when I take the monitor 30 or 40 feet from the camera (open air medium, no vehicle in that test.). Only thing I think could be improved for forklift use is the field of view, remember it was made to view your trailer hitch. I don’t know if the field is 30 degrees either side of center or what, but in a crowded warehouse or shop, 70 degrees either side would be great. Maybe I’ll fool around with mirrors or those flexible Fresnel-type plastic lenses in front of the camera.

Back