What's new
What's new

Relocating Pallet Racks?

BeeBee

Plastic
We're trying to move a boltless pallet rack from one part of the warehouse to another. Has anyone had experience with the companies that sell/rent the rolling wheels/jacks/gondola wheels? (Or please tell me how you did it.) Thanks!

Are they loaded? If not they aren't that hard to move if you throw some bolts into the slots above the crossmember pins to keep them in place while you jack them up. Build a frame out of 2 x 4 lumber and casters to set them on to move. Or use a couple of pallet jacks. Strap them to the jacks while moving. If they are loaded I wouldn't try it.
Mark

I moved a couple of them in my shop a few years ago by making sure that the locking tabs in the rails were in place and moving them with my forklift. Can't remember if I lifted from the bottom or higher up but it worked good and they had some lighter stuff on them. They only needed to be moved a short distance.

Big B

Like Astroracer said: Don't try to move it loaded.
Depending on height, you want to be very careful or extremely careful. The boltless construction obviously means that gravity helps hold the rack together, while sitting still on the floor. When you defeat gravity, and do it while moving the rack, the main operative principles are no longer at work. Center of gravity for a 16' high x 48" deep rack is off the floor a ways, and likely asymmetrically located. If you use a pallet jack or two, use the widest one you can find, and don't try any fancy sharp turns. You may find it safer to lift only one end (forklift?) and drag (or push) the rack to the new location, if you have a floor that will tolerate that.

BTW, it would be advisable to at least put your state in your location info.

I have moved a few but only short distances. They were loaded but bigger items were taken off. I bolted a set of the beams to the columns about 2/3 way up and lifted from those. Lifting from the lower beams is just a bit too mushy

Back