What's new
What's new

Rigging Companies in New Mexico

riabma77

Hot Rolled
Hello,
I'm looking to relocate my business to New Mexico. Specifically to Ruidoso or surroundings.
Land isn't 'precisely' flat. I spent this weekend exploring some options to buy a small lot with a shop.
Some of them had difficult access, so before making the commitment, I would like to review it with a rigger, and see how complicate / expensive would be.
Alamogordo / Roswell area.
Thanks!

I don't know any riggers local to you, but if you could provide maybe an overhead shot of the terrain I bet the experience in this forum will get you headed the right direction.

Hello,
I'm looking to relocate my business to New Mexico. Specifically to Ruidoso or surroundings.
Land isn't 'precisely' flat. I spent this weekend exploring some options to buy a small lot with a shop.
Some of them had difficult access, so before making the commitment, I would like to review it with a rigger, and see how complicate / expensive would be.
Alamogordo / Roswell area.
Thanks!

I would be worried about supply costs on materials and such for your business. Ruidoso is a long way off the beaten path.

Also watch out for the building costs/ codes there.. My Mother and Sister have lived and worked there since 73 and are always telling me stories about building problems. In 1980 one lady could not find anyone willing to work on her home to finish putting in the interior and exterior doors. I don't know the true reason but she paid me very well to come up from Houston and installed the doors that were delivered to the job site a year before. Lady lived in her house without a front, back and interior doors for over a year!

Seems there is always a shortage of building people willing to work there so If you need a pool of workers for your shop I would "look before you leap"

I went to school in Las Cruces NM. There is a lot to do there, the Organ mountains are close and El Paso, a city with an airport is about 40 miles away. The climate in Las Cruces is pretty nice but does get a little hot in the summer. Nothing a swamp cooler could not cure. There might be more CUSTOMERS closer to you...

Thanks.

I'm attaching some pictures of one of the properties.
In the top, there isn't a lot of room for a flat bed trailer to maneuver, so I was wondering how they would do it.

20170805_130758_resized.jpg20170805_130840_resized.jpg20170805_130901_resized.jpg20170805_130922_resized.jpg20170805_130944_resized.jpg

I went to school in Las Cruces NM. There is a lot to do there, the Organ mountains are close and El Paso, a city with an airport is about 40 miles away. The climate in Las Cruces is pretty nice but does get a little hot in the summer. Nothing a swamp cooler could not cure. There might be more CUSTOMERS closer to you...

I started the business in El Paso. I met my wife in Ruidoso, and we were living there for a while.
We moved to Houston 5 years ago. Really tired of weather, traffic, growth, etc... Looking to go back 'home'.
I have my own product, and my customers don't care where I am.

Thanks.

I'm attaching some pictures of one of the properties.
In the top, there isn't a lot of room for a flat bed trailer to maneuver, so I was wondering how they would do it.

View attachment 205347View attachment 205348View attachment 205349View attachment 205350View attachment 205351

That is a lot more room to maneuver than my County Road :) If the road is packed well they should not have much trouble just backing in from the main road.

I'm on a dead end gravel road just outside of Navasota. The slope of our hill about matches yours from what I can tell from the picture. I usually meet the 18 wheelers out on the main road with a forklift tractor, for things it can pick up. If it's heavy, or they don't call in advance, most all of the truckers back down the road to my place as there is no way to turn around.

If your driveway in front of your shop is gravel the riggers would need to bring steel plates.

What are you moving?

That is a lot more room to maneuver than my County Road :) If the road is packed well they should not have much trouble just backing in from the main road.

I'm on a dead end gravel road just outside of Navasota. The slope of our hill about matches yours from what I can tell from the picture. I usually meet the 18 wheelers out on the main road with a forklift tractor, for things it can pick up. If it's heavy, or they don't call in advance, most all of the truckers back down the road to my place as there is no way to turn around.

If your driveway in front of your shop is gravel the riggers would need to bring steel plates.

What are you moving?

I tried my best to show the slope in the pictures, but it's hard. I didn't think the riggers could back in, because it's also a dead end gravel road.

Right now I only need to move a small vertical CNC (Haas MiniMill), but I want to be sure is doable to move a bigger / heavier machine in the future if needed.

I tried my best to show the slope in the pictures, but it's hard. I didn't think the riggers could back in, because it's also a dead end gravel road.

Right now I only need to move a small vertical CNC (Haas MiniMill), but I want to be sure is doable to move a bigger / heavier machine in the future if needed.

IF that grass area to the right of the person in the third picture is part of the driveway I could back a 18 wheeler into that drive almost blind folded.. Much easier to maneuver there than my situation. My property is in the hilly area and I have an elevation change of 90 feet going up the hill.. We have a hay truck from Colorado show up three times a year and he has never had any problems... You should be fine unless it is snowing or muddy.

If needed you can always transfer the load to a shorter trailer..
I've moved some heavy loads with mine.

20140325_104833.jpg

That is about 9500 lbs on a 22' gooseneck in my driveway. I back trailers in there all the time. Here is a 11500 lb load on the same 22 footer.

98ab1fa918adb6516163935e4f8a248b.jpg

Where there is a will, there is a way :)

Were is that land in relation to Ruidoso? Out towards Capitan?

You are going to be better getting somebody out of El Paso.. The only one I
know of is Permian. http://www.permianmachineryinc.com/
The advantage with them is that they have a bunch of different trucks and different size forklifts.. They
are right on 10 so you could have the machine dropped off there and let them bring it to you on a smaller
truck/truckS.

I *HAD* to use them last fall. My forklift puked its guts up right before a machine got here.. Told
the driver to keep heading south and drop it off there. Then they put it on a truck with a forklift
and drove on up here. It was an "emergency" situation early on a Monday morning and they were really
good about it. Price wasn't cheap, but it was less than having a machine and forklift brought from
ABQ about 10 years ago.

You could also try calling Magnum, either in El Paso or Albuquerque.. They are generally really good
people. Your salesman is going to be Paul out of ABQ, but the El Paso office might know more about
the local riggers. Filipe(sp?) down in El Paso is a good guy. He'll help you out if he can, even if
you aren't in his territory.

You are going to be better getting somebody out of El Paso.. The only one I
know of is Permian. http://www.permianmachineryinc.com/
The advantage with them is that they have a bunch of different trucks and different size forklifts.. They
are right on 10 so you could have the machine dropped off there and let them bring it to you on a smaller
truck/truckS.

I *HAD* to use them last fall. My forklift puked its guts up right before a machine got here.. Told
the driver to keep heading south and drop it off there. Then they put it on a truck with a forklift
and drove on up here. It was an "emergency" situation early on a Monday morning and they were really
good about it. Price wasn't cheap, but it was less than having a machine and forklift brought from
ABQ about 10 years ago.

You could also try calling Magnum, either in El Paso or Albuquerque.. They are generally really good
people. Your salesman is going to be Paul out of ABQ, but the El Paso office might know more about
the local riggers. Filipe(sp?) down in El Paso is a good guy. He'll help you out if he can, even if
you aren't in his territory.

Thanks Bobw. I will keep it in mind.
My local rigger (here in Houston) referred me to BOX Crane in Roswell. Did you hear about them?

Thanks Bobw. I will keep it in mind.
My local rigger (here in Houston) referred me to BOX Crane in Roswell. Did you hear about them?

From here to Roswell is almost the same distance as going from here to Tucson..

I haven't heard of them.. But they aren't that far away from you.. That's a good thing...
The worst part about New Mexico and getting any type of service is the fricken TRAVEL TIME.
"$75 for what we did at your place, and $800 in drive time".

Back