What's new
What's new

Rigging question K.O. Lee 6 x 12 Surface grinder

Joseph Durnya

Aluminum
Hey Guys,

Purchased a K.O. Lee 6 x 12 Surface grinder. That i need to get on a pallet. Thought of using a toe jack to lift it on some 4x4s then slide it on the pallet. Two things that worry me. It has a small footprint and im worried its top heavy Second, it has 4 pads with leveling feet that come off when i lift it, leaving 1/4 or 3/8 studs sticking out from the bottom which wont slide very well.

Any ideas or advise would be appreciated !

thanks

Joe

You can do any number of things

Use the toe jack in a triangle configuration where the Jack is one point and you block the opposite 2.

Remove the leveling studs and replace with tap bolts to Jack it up with if the pallet will slide between them

Build a custom pallet for it

Crib the top up with cribbing and Jack from higher better accessible points

Or, just use a forklift [emoji4]

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

When I bought my KO Lee 612 the guy delivered it in the back of a pickup sitting on a small pallet. The table was removed since there's nothing holding it on, it lifts straight off. Remove table and run the spindle all the way down and it's not very top heavy. I don't remember mine having any leveling feet but that was a long time ago.

I had this same scenario B.F. (before forklift).

The existing pallet didn't allow access to the floor and the bottom of the machine at the same time, so I made a temporary pallet. I set up a new temporary pallet beside the machine on the existing pallet. The new pallet was screwed together out of 3 - 4x4's and 4 - 2x4's on top. That leaves the space underneath accessible to crib up underneath in order to remove the new pallet. I'd make sure the screws are accessible when you disassemble the pallet, more on that below. The wood that the existing pallet was built of was also very rough which hindered easily sliding.

After getting the temporary pallet next to the machine on the existing pallet, I pryed up both corners of the grinder slightly, enough to get ~1/8" thick x 8" wide smooth plywood sheet underneath. I slid the machine on the smooth plywood over onto the new temporary pallet and then cribbed up the grinder from underneath. After that the temporary pallet was disassembled. From this point it's a matter of prying up (or jacking) and removing the cribbing until you're down on the concrete.

I had a chain fall that I used to slide the machine over, grabbing it at it's lowest point to prevent tipping. You could also use the prybar and slide it over with that as well.

May not be the easiest way, but it worked for me at the time.

Here's a video I found that shows some of what I am talking about above: Matts Mill - Moving a Bridgeport (Part 1) - YouTube

Alternatively, if your machine has holes forleveling feet you could get them positioned where they are directly above the floor. Jack the machine up using the feet and disassemble the pallet from around it.

Last edited:
Guys, thanks so much for the ideas... I think i have come up with a solution...

remove the table and wind down the spindle as much as possible..

raise the machine with a toe jack and replace the feet / levelers with threaded stem castors ( heavy duty of course )

now i only have to go there one more time to get the thread size !!!

Joe

( maybe the manual will tell me the size )

Back