What's new
What's new

Rigging today.

machtool

Diamond
Thought I'd share a job I did today. Butler Elgamill 8 metre table column on, at or around 19,640 kilo's . 43,300 lb's.

P1010946.jpgP1010949.jpgP1010950.jpgP1010955.jpg

Canadian Rigger Xtreme XE 120 with the rigger boom.
Was my third choice for a hook around town, but my mate with the twin lifts was called away to Adelaide. And it had to happen today.

Regards Phil.

That chain looks kind of marginal for that weight and angle. Not much to compare for size there. Is chain very commonly used for such applications in AU?

That chain looks kind of marginal for that weight and angle. Not much to compare for size there. Is chain very commonly used for such applications in AU?
Its 22mm Grade 80 Chain and there's not an angle above 90 degrees. Purpose built lifting plates, 36 -5/8 BSW S.H.C.S torqued to 220 ft/lb into brand new full length tee nuts Nothing smaller than M48 eye bolts. Including Ruds. Its over Engineed.

Weren't you the Cunt that called that machine a Circus Wagon?

Not much to compare for size there. Is chain very commonly used for such applications in AU?
Are you trying to tell me, you don't use chains there? Its not working.

That useless little UK car on which you base your name, have you every considered changing it to one that actually represents your personallity?

1/. Dumb and Dumber. Tom might fight you for that.

2/, Nasty Dwarf

3/. Some miserable little dweeb.

4/. Nerf

5/. How about Dopey.
clipdopey.gif

Not much to compare for size there
Guess the 8m bed, truck low loader wheels wouldn't count. And lets not forget I've given you the exact model XE 120. But feel free to be a nasty little bastard.

Damn Phil relax a little bit. It's the rigging board guys are going to ask questions. Don't get offended. We all know you know your shit but for the sake of conversation guys ask questions. I don't (not putting words in his mouth) think he meant it as an attack on your rigging abilities?

Looks like a good rigging job to me! Actually that shit scars the fuck out of me. The guy standing on the ground must have nuts the size of basketballs!

Regards Brent

Damn Phil relax a little bit. It's the rigging board guys are going to ask questions. Don't get offended. We all know you know your shit but for the sake of conversation guys ask questions. I don't (not putting words in his mouth)i
You missed a lot of history Brett. I do this shit weekly, seldom I put it up here, for the likes of the midget. Last time I put pictures of that machine dressed up as a forklift, The midget called it a Circus wagon. So don't fucking tell me to calm down,
That's as offence as this shit.
Is chain very commonly used for such applications in USA?

Fucking clown, that wants to bull shit about the size of chain,

I engineered that lift, and the cunt wants to go on about the size of the chains. There three time larger than would be required. I could have done that lift with 16mm chains.

Are you aware rigging is a licensed and tested profession down here, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

First response to this thread was the Midg.
That chain looks kind of marginal for that weight and angle"

What weight and angle? The machines only 20T

Not, that the chain size , or the angle. Wouldn't seem to matter any way, Apparently we are the only ones that use's chains. Who would have thunk it.

You missed a lot of history Brett. I do this shit weekly, seldom I put it up here, for the likes of the midget. Last time I put pictures of that machine dressed up as a forklift, The midget called it a Circus wagon. So don't fucking tell me to calm down,
That's as offence as this shit.
Is chain very commonly used for such applications in USA?

Fucking clown, that wants to bull shit about the size of chain,

I engineered that lift, and the cunt wants to go on about the size of the chains. There three time larger than would be required. I could have done that lift with 16mm chains.

Are you aware rigging is a licensed and tested profession down here, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

OK phil. I didn't tell you to fucking calm down. I said relax a little bit. I didn't realize you had hard feelings from the passed. Jumping on the first person to reply to your thread might give others a hesitation to reply to your thread not realizing your actually a nice guy.

I'm not a rigging guy. I'm a machinist but the guys that move stuff around in our building sometimes use straps but I personally do not like the stretch/give they have that the chains do not. That my uneducated opinion is all.

And btw my name is Brent.

Regards Brent

Damn Phil relax a little bit.

LOL! My bet he IS relaxed. Enjoying hisself, even.

Time was, I wanted him to improve his manners.

Now?

F**k NO. Leave 'im be. Nostalgia for OTHER riggers [1] long-gone. Vanishing breed, y'see.

I've come to appreciate his entertainment ability as much as the superb rigging skills.

Bill

[1]
"Why'd you name yer dog "Rigger"?
"Coz he always growls at his food and f**ks anything he can catch."

Done a similar " Elgamill " a year or two back. Whoever loaded the machine up split the column-milling head from the base. So they made it a bit easier for me. The chains in the photos are plenty big enough in my book, you'd think so if you were lifting them back up into the master ring ! Nice level lift.

The new owner of my machine was a real cheap skate so he only wanted every other holding down bolt installing. It still turned out perfecto. I had to change a few gears in the milling head gear box and tune in the universal head, that bit was difficult but I was a lot cheaper than " Butler " were.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
I'm not a crane operator or rigger. But have a couple cranes and have done some rigging.

Cables or nylon slings are picked over chain because in order to get any decent capacity, they get heavy.

The little 12' 4 leg 1/2 sling that I've got is probably pushing 200lbs. Great to leave on the hook with an outside crane when you have plenty of chart, but not something one guy is gonna want to man handle multiple times in the air.

Their advantage that I could see here, is with an adjustable sling of some sort you have pretty good load control without having to add in a big heavy large chain hoist that would eat up headroom.

I've mostly seen a mix of slings and chains here and in Japan. Chains are adjustable, which is handy.

I had one customer that wouldn't allow chains, but their stuff cost a large fortune and was very fragile, so they were very worried about swinging chains.

I'm not a crane operator or rigger. But have a couple cranes and have done some rigging.

Cables or nylon slings are picked over chain because in order to get any decent capacity, they get heavy.

The little 12' 4 leg 1/2 sling that I've got is probably pushing 200lbs. Great to leave on the hook with an outside crane when you have plenty of chart, but not something one guy is gonna want to man handle multiple times in the air.

Their advantage that I could see here, is with an adjustable sling of some sort you have pretty good load control without having to add in a big heavy large chain hoist that would eat up headroom.

Clutched chains are very handy on jobs like the one above. I didn't like working without them. You'd get guys wanting to put knots or twists in the chains to shorten them. Not recommended in my book. Clutches are really handy if you're struggling for headroom.

Regards Tyrone.

Since headroom was such an issue, why not lift from the bottom with forks? I mean, you already have a forklift...

I've seen Devliegs done both ways. They both work.

We used a good variety of both chains and slings - the slings were much nicer on the trucks and the chains were better around the yard and on the test beds. Slings are lighter, less damaging to customers equipment, and easier to store, while chains are much more resilient and offer a bit more flexibility. I know I inspected more slings than chains, but I think I saw bigger chains. Also, chains tend to not burn when that one idiot leaves them in an oily pile near the weld shop.

Back