What's new
What's new

Sharp SV2412 lifting

pianoman8t8

Hot Rolled
Hey guys,
I'm on the verge of purchasing a Sharp SV2412, and was wondering if you guys have lifted them via chains/straps before, rather than a forklift? I need to get from a flatbed semi trailer to a tilt-deck equipment trailer to get it up my driveway, we have a 5-ton overhead crane at work, but not a forklift quite big enough to lift it (6k lbs). I've had no luck yet hearing back directly from Sharp. Thanks for any input.

If it were me I'd rent a forklift or pay a mover who is bonded. You're getting a new to you machine, why take a chance and make a boat anchor before you even cut a chip. Which ever route you choose good luck with your new investment!

The manual shows lifting points - I was able to locate a First MCV-300 (same machine) manual online and on page 33-34 it details the lift points. The front two lift points require cable run to the bottom of the casting and the rear two points are near the top of the column. If you can't find it online let me know and I can email you a copy (or I can run to the garage and scan a few pages from my SV-2412 manual but it is the same).

Hope that helps!

I'll try to remember to stick my head in there today and look. I think they are accessible through the chip pan opening.

Also, it'd be tricky to get a rigger/forklift up my driveway right now. On a hill, solid ice. My other 8 machines I moved in my garage via a tilt-deck equipment trailer, and it went very smoothly. I just need a place (like my work) to be able to unload from a semi trailer, and load onto my trailer. My work is a fairly large facility. So it's just the transfer from semi trailer to tilting trailer that I'd need to lift it. And honestly, I don't HAVE to lift it. I could unload it to a loading dock that's accessible for my truck and trailer at the same machine level (drive up on top) and tilt the trailer and skate the machine onto the trailer with a winch. I just think it'd be a bit easier to just lift it with a hoist.

If you just need a big forklift to move from one trailer to another ... how about visiting one of your local suppliers who has big forklifts? Lumber yard forklifts are usually quite large and have decent length forks on them.

The riggers brought mine off the truck by sticking some 2" hex stock through the forklift holes in the casting (which are too small for bigger forks) and using those to pick up the machine. The thing doesn't weigh more than 6k pounds - I moved mine into final position with a breaker bar by myself in a few minutes! I'll really try to remember to look tonight - I have some welding work I've gotta knock out so if I don't walk over my the VMC I'm likely to forget.

If you just need a big forklift to move from one trailer to another ... how about visiting one of your local suppliers who has big forklifts?

Because the last thing you want is for the monkeys that usually fork around bundles of wood to play rigger with an expensive machine tool in exchange for a case of beer.

There are holes down by the chip pan in the casting - I have no idea if they are lift points or not. Maybe a call to Sharp is in order? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for the reply guys. The manual does show there being lifting holes at the bottom of the base at the front, and somewhere at the top by z axis.

Rick, did you use a spreader bar when doing that, or just let the straps/chains rest against the cabinet with the straps/chains going to a single hook?

Actually, scratch that. Looks like it'll be easy enough to have it unloaded at the local riggers facility, then load onto my trailer.

Oops sorry I didn't see your question. Mine was pulled off the side of the rigger's flatbed with a forktruck, then they stuck two 2" hex bars through the casting side to side and used that to lift it and maneuver into my garage (1/2" clearance top and bottom with the Z-axis servo removed!). Once they had it on the pad, we used some 4x6 lumber and the hex rods to push it into gross position, and then I fine tuned the placement by hand with a breaker bar. Honestly once I got a bigger breaker bar moving it was a piece of cake - I could have done it all the way from the driveway to the back of the shop in less than an hour and maybe a single 32oz Gatorade LOL.

So mine was never lifted, I only remembered seeing it in the manual.

Thanks for all the info guys. I booked a flight down to check out this SV2412 in a couple weeks. By the sounds of it, nothing has ever been adjusted since it was purchased and installed new back in 2006, so I'm looking to get info on what I'll need for tools to get access to and adjust the Z-axis gibs. The guy did check a couple of the many things I had asked to be checked prior to me flying down, and the head is out of tram by roughly .005" over a 12" diameter sweep. I'm thinking the gibs being adjusted should help this. I'm not sure what the owner has for tools left, as he's selling all his shop stuff due to retirement.

Back