What's new
What's new

Shipping Recommendations

JGRJR333

Plastic
I need to ship a small lathe 13-40, and milling machine from Las Vegas to Pittsburgh, PA.

Does anyone know a rigger in Las Vegas they could recommend?

Could someone recommend shipping arrangements?

I have access to capable forklifts on both ends.

Thanks

That is maybe correct on not needing a rigger. The equipment will be on a pallet and I will have access to a forklift. This is small equipment by most measures.

The problem is the owner does not want to be responsible for getting the pallets to a freight depot. So I might need to find a wrecker with a tilt bed to make the transition. It would be nice to find someone with experience.

I have found not just anyone can do that. Cars sure but equipment needs some experience.

So if anyone knows of any local support in the Las Vegas area it would it would be helpful.

I also appreciate shipping info.

Thank you

Get a heavy duty pallet that will handle a 2000 lb lathe. Drive around Las Vegas in an industrial area until you find one. Screw a couple pieces of thick plywood to the top of the pallet. Dont leave the lathe on the stand, get the lathe as low as possible on the palette. Bolt the front and rear of the lathe to the pallet. Use several metal shipping bands and strap the lathe to the palette as well. Cover the lathe in shrink wrap. Build a wooden box around the lathe. Put the lathe accessories in cardboard boxes and set them inside the wooden box you just built around the lathe. Measure the pallet LxWxH. Estimate the total weight. Get a freight quote. Try 'freightquote.com' They give us good rates. It can be arranged to have the freight truck come to the shop for pickup where the lathe is at. Sometimes it doesn't even cost extra or maybe just $50. If you want to use the shipping depot, borrow a pickup from home depot and load the lathe crate into the back of the pickup with the forklift. They will have a forklift at the freight depot to unload it. This is pretty easy, you can do it!

Back