What's new
What's new

Steel wore rope damage issue for 3t hoist

Hassan Khan

Plastic
We are hoist installers. We are continuously facing the issue of steel wire rope damage issue for our installed 3t hoist. It is breaking near wedge socket. Pls advise.

One of the primary causes of rope failure with overhead hoists is too much "fleet angle" when the hook is in the highest position. I'm not
going to try and explain it here as there is a ton of info online. Google the term and you'll soon see what I mean. There are, of course, other
reasons for failure but excessive fleet angle is high on the list...

Thanks for that link, I've only used older U-bolt type clamps but considered using the wedges.

"Use only with standard 6 to 8 strand wire rope of designated size. For intermediate size rope, 9/16″ diameter and larger, use next larger size socket. For example: When using 9/16″ diameter wire rope use a 5/8″ Wedge Socket Assembly...."

I'm guessing some wedge-users are unaware of the need to go to next-larger size when using 9/16+ rope. I'm wondering why the makers wouldn't have recognized that need and clearly marked their products accordingly.

I'm now wondering what size and type of wire rope and what size/brand of wedge the OP was using? More details supplied by OP =better answers.

Last edited:

Back