What's new
What's new

toe jacks- name your favorite brand

WILLEO6709

Diamond
I am looking at a toe jack for moving stuff around the shop in 2017- to date we have used floor jacks, porta powers,, bottle jacks,,, whatever we had around. I had a rigger in that had GKS's that look nice but I see the hillman style as well. whats your favorite?

I have a JET that's identical to the Tempco Mud posted. Works good, but heavy to lug around. I have a bunch of aluminum 15 ton mechanical Simplex A17 toe jacks like this- 2, Simplex Railroad, A17, Aluminum Jack, House, Barn, Caboose, 15 Tons, Lifting | eBay . The toe is about 2" thick and they're pretty tall. Where the mechanical jacks fit I prefer them, otherwise I use the hydraulic. They both have their place in my shop.

Many times machines have a ledge 8-12" high that overhangs the base. The big jacks have enough stroke that I'll use them to lift by that overhang rather than stuff the hydraulic jack underneath. I have 8 of the mechanical A17's and have a hard time not buying them if found under $50. Don't buy the cast steel ones. They're way too heavy to lug around. I've heard people call the A17's railroad jacks or quick release jacks, but the railroad jacks have a cradle on the top. They do have a quick release feature, but are very easy to ratchet down the same as going up.

With Hillman, it depends on if you are discussing the old standby model or the new "deluxe" models that are basically the same as GKS. The advantage of GKS over typical toe jacks like the original Hillman is the ability to easily change gross positioning of the toe, swivel counterbalance feet, toe is only 5/8" thick (5 ton model anyway) and swivel feet are tapered for getting under tight spaces, connection for remote pump if needed, extending pump arm, hydraulics moving the toe assembly on ways rather than the hydraulic ram and wheels to move it around on (when the pump handle is extended to push and guide it). But all this comes at a price, so depends on how often you need one, how important gross toe positioning is, and how cheap you are.

For my often awkward situations I can't stress enough how useful the tapered swivel feet are.....sometime I can only get one of the feet in position temporarily to raise the machine just enough to then lower it on timber and get both feet under for the final raise for example. Also when you have remote pump possibility you can have two jacks raising one end of a wide machine base where you pump one jack with the standard pump and pump the other one with the remote pump located inches away...and lower the same way....except you have a nice large knob to turn for lowering in a very controlled manner, instead of inserting a cheap tube into what is really just a Chinese bottle jack.

I mostly use enerpac flat cylinders of various sizes and a hand pump. Or for non expensive stuff, I have a pair of 5 ton track jacks that work very nicely.

My 5 ton Simplex "railroad jack" is great. I have a pair of them. Don't get the one that uses a square bar. Those have a super dangerous ratchet mechanism that is designed to drop.

The pancake jacks are great too. I have a 30 ton. You need a stack of shims and plates to do much with them.

A simple bar is probably the most handy. Any machine under say 12,000 lbs can be lifted with a 5ish foot bar with a toe on the end.

I have one of the Jet 10 ton jacks and for my occasional shop use it has done very well. I could not find anything for close in price at the time I bought it.

hydraulics moving the toe assembly on ways rather than the hydraulic ram

THIS... is a veritable "continental divide" between the right way and the just-get-by designs, IMNSHO.

Sort of kit important enough to want to be able to trust, and to only have to purchase ONCE, good toe jacks are.

My 5 ton Simplex "railroad jack" is great. I have a pair of them.

That's what we use mostly. Can't beat the simple design and will last forever if taken care of. The main reason we use them is they are much faster than hyd jacks.

That's what we use mostly. Can't beat the simple design and will last forever if taken care of. The main reason we use them is they are much faster than hyd jacks.

The first couple times I paid for rigging I watched the riggers use old mechanical toe jacks. They had hydraulic ones on their trucks. When I asked the owner why they used those they said the same thing you did- That the guys can't screw them up and they're much faster than hydraulic. If they can use mechanical, that's what they will use.

The first couple times I paid for rigging I watched the riggers use old mechanical toe jacks. They had hydraulic ones on their trucks. When I asked the owner why they used those they said the same thing you did- That the guys can't screw them up and they're much faster than hydraulic. If they can use mechanical, that's what they will use.

Me late G'Dad.. 44 years with the B&O railroad, Freight Handler to Round-House foreman, was never without a quad of those around the farm even after he retired. Didn't have much truck even with common bottle jacks if he could avoid 'em. He'd be displaying one of his notorious SE grins at that.

:)

Bill

Back