"truck mast" type forklifts with really short masts... are they usually double stage?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default "truck mast" type forklifts with really short masts... are they usually double stage?

    Like the one below. also can anyone confirm the cage height of 80.1" on a 4K capacity Toyota 7 series cushion tire lift like the one below ? (as I wait for Captain Obvious to suggest I ask the seller to measure it...) I need to get under 81"...so cutting it close.

    (if curious where I got 80.1"....from a Toyota 7 series brochure in my files)





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    WAPELLO, IA USA
    Posts
    6,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    1809

    Default

    I would say yes, but if you are trying to get over 50 inch fork height without ventilating the roof you may be in trouble......but I have no personal firsthand experience in these.... My gusssis this was the cheapest mast a leasing/rental fleet could equip for loading trucks in a warehousing giant. I have seen quite a few like this on ebay/ craigslist lately.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Langley, B.C.
    Posts
    1,236
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    209
    Likes (Received)
    685

    Default

    I don't have any experience with that specific model but I have worked with a couple short mast forklifts. They're designed to work in
    larger vans and containers so mast height isn't as critical as your application. On all the ones I remember the top of the mast exceeded
    the height of the the cage. Unless the second stage mast on the forklift in the photo is quite a bit shorter than the first stage I'd say that
    it's going to be above cage height if you raise the forks to 50"...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    I don't have any experience with that specific model but I have worked with a couple short mast forklifts. They're designed to work in
    larger vans and containers so mast height isn't as critical as your application. On all the ones I remember the top of the mast exceeded
    the height of the the cage. Unless the second stage mast on the forklift in the photo is quite a bit shorter than the first stage I'd say that
    it's going to be above cage height if you raise the forks to 50"...
    Yeah it's so frustating I have a brand new (6 hours) Doosan 3K cushion tire LP forklift where the cage will go under but it's triple stage mast is about 2 inches too tall. If only the dumbass home garage door builders would make 7 foot doors actually 7 feet tall. In this case it's not just the doors that are the problem but an overhang in front of the doors that is 81 inch clearance and would be a major project to change.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    WAPELLO, IA USA
    Posts
    6,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    29
    Likes (Received)
    1809

    Default

    maybe some smoky burnout tire wear and a strategic " style notch" in the roof and door frame?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4980
    Likes (Received)
    4084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Yeah it's so frustating I have a brand new (6 hours) Doosan 3K cushion tire LP forklift where the cage will go under but it's triple stage mast is about 2 inches too tall. If only the dumbass home garage door builders would make 7 foot doors actually 7 feet tall. In this case it's not just the doors that are the problem but an overhang in front of the doors that is 81 inch clearance and would be a major project to change.
    Not everyone is aware thay ain't the same critter, but the US Army CONEX of the 1950's and '60's - coupla hundred thousand used Korean & Vietnam wars - were only 6 foot ten inches high vs today's intermodal containers of 8 foot six inches.

    The FL of matching capability included the Towmoter 4,000, short mast. Mast was triple, not double, cage low-height as well.

    AFAIK, triple stage outright dominates in "really short mast" FL- many of them meant for work inside railcars, trucks, and CONEX container applications, but not-only.

    Those could drive right inside a sub seven-foot CONEX container, still get a pallet off the deck, then put the load up around 10 or 12 feet once back outside. 4K was a VERY conservative rating as well.

    Cannot imagine no one still making comparable capability - but perhaps not in all that much lifting capacity.

    Limiting factor MAY have been what the floor of the CONEX could stand from the point-contact load of the tires. Even that 4K Towmoter had duals at the mast, twinned third-point rear, pneumatic, all around, and not all that small in diameter, IIRC.

    2CW

    ...and the curse of a 76" garage door here to a mere 8-foot ceiling, anyway, so .. two toe-jacks added to the arsenal since last we met, and skates? Hah! Lots of skates, Vestil "economical", & Northern Tool "El cheapo" - both more than good enough for my modest duty-cycles.

    Chains, ropes, straps, and long timber pusher/puller bars then let me work fully 20 feet back into the garage/shop with rented FL still outside the door.

    Bit of a PITA, but it works well-enough.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pinnacle, NC USA
    Posts
    1,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1453
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default

    Don,

    So I'm understanding the lift you attached in your post... This truck is built for the trucking industry? The short mast allows for double stacking pallets inside of a container or van?

    Thanks,

    Tom

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio USA
    Posts
    3,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    19
    Likes (Received)
    1484

    Default

    Maybe check out a few forklift graveyards for smaller dia. wheels & tires? If overall mast dimension is too big regardless of wheels, then never mind. But you could re-drill/mill holes on wheels that are the right diameter...

    Chip

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Posts
    2,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    399

    Default

    What about GASP removing the cage?

    Steve

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    central Pa., U.S.A.
    Posts
    254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    123
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default

    The lift in the picture looks like (is) an 8fg. 8fg and 7fg were similar. I have a 7fg and 8fg I can measure for you tomorrow, but they're 5k machines. Very similar frame with bigger counter. Yes, that is a 2 stage lift, primarily used for freight handling...but a VERY GOOD overall machine. PB

    p.s. will check my books for any info on 7series, 4k machine
    Last edited by packardbill; 10-16-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added check my books

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default

    I called the seller today. He has about 20 of these same forklifts and every damn one of them has a cage height of over 82.5" !! I ask how come the brochure says 80.1" and he says they can be ordered with a guard just about any height the customer wants if they buy enough of them...apparently the original buyer had alot of 6' plus tall drivers.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    What about GASP removing the cage?
    gee, what a brilliant revelation......because it wouldn't be as safe, would be laborious to remove, wouldn't have a place to mount the headlights, no place for plywood on top to keep rain dripping on driver to minimum, and look stupid. A better suggestion would be to cut the overhead guard "legs" and reweld it shorter but even that would be more trouble than I would like to go to.

    Seller of the Toyota is a big time dealer and tells me a new (shorter) overhead guard would cost about $1,800 plus shipping. Even better would be a new shorter mast for the Doosan but he tells me those would be at least $12,000....which is insane considering the whole forklift only cost $22,000.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    87

    Default

    Assuming this is a regular garage, can you cut a small piece of the slab and apron out the width of your doosan and pour a 2" "dip" with smooth transitions to get you in and out? you'll need to live with a puddle unless you can put a drain in it...you may get away with just 2 tire width grooves...of course it will not be pretty if you forget to drive thru the dip, but then you can put the insurance money towards a taller opening...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjelly View Post
    Assuming this is a regular garage, can you cut a small piece of the slab and apron out the width of your doosan and pour a 2" "dip" with smooth transitions to get you in and out? you'll need to live with a puddle unless you can put a drain in it...you may get away with just 2 tire width grooves...of course it will not be pretty if you forget to drive thru the dip, but then you can put the insurance money towards a taller opening...
    No.........

  15. Likes Monarchist, snowman liked this post
  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4980
    Likes (Received)
    4084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjelly View Post
    Assuming this is a regular garage, can you cut a small piece of the slab and apron out the width of your doosan and pour a 2" "dip" with smooth transitions to get you in and out? you'll need to live with a puddle unless you can put a drain in it...you may get away with just 2 tire width grooves...of course it will not be pretty if you forget to drive thru the dip, but then you can put the insurance money towards a taller opening...
    Phffft.. cheaper and faster to cut, drop, re-weld the cage, get used to wearing a hard-hat, as I must (5' 10" tall, here..) on the low-height 5K Doosan I often rent.

    As to time? Excavation aside, if nothing else, decent 'crete wants 7-days from pour to serious load-bearing use, 30 days better-yet, 'coz FL are high point-load critters.

    Welds, OTOH, just need to cool. Paint can wait.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Posts
    2,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    gee, what a brilliant revelation......because it wouldn't be as safe, would be laborious to remove, wouldn't have a place to mount the headlights, no place for plywood on top to keep rain dripping on driver to minimum, and look stupid. A better suggestion would be to cut the overhead guard "legs" and reweld it shorter but even that would be more trouble than I would like to go to.

    Seller of the Toyota is a big time dealer and tells me a new (shorter) overhead guard would cost about $1,800 plus shipping. Even better would be a new shorter mast for the Doosan but he tells me those would be at least $12,000....which is insane considering the whole forklift only cost $22,000.
    That was part two of my suggestion, the cage appears simple enough to cut and reweld at a desired height. You will loose a bit of overlap in back when you shorten the front but, it IS a simple fix.

    Honestly if that was the only thing that is an issue, cutting the cage makes sense dollar wise, welding that couldn't be more than 500.00 with touch up paint.

    Steve

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal View Post
    That was part two of my suggestion,
    No it wasn't.... and don't try and edit it in now as we will know. Or maybe it was in your mind but your typing fingers were just slam wore out after the tedium of blurting out six words ?

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    9,210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4980
    Likes (Received)
    4084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    No it wasn't.... and don't try and edit it in now as we will know. Or maybe it was in your mind but your typing fingers were just slam wore out after the tedium of blurting out six words ?
    Nah. It was coded into an acronym, seventh word:

    "Steve" AKA "Shorten the everlovin' vexatious entity"

    He's only being argumentative because of how he GOT that nickname/acronym, loong ones being accused of causing cancer out in Kalifornikyah and all.... or was it just heavy taxation a surgical shortening was meant to avoid?


  20. Likes Milacron liked this post
  21. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Coastal Dogpatch, SC, USA
    Posts
    50,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2360
    Likes (Received)
    5200

    Default

    This TCM is interesting in that it's the only triple stage mast lift I have noticed where the lowered mast is shorter than the OHG. I'll bet that turns out to be because the OHG and/or the truck body itself, is unusually tall but I emailed the seller to measure it...we'll see....


    21 LP Gas TCM FCG15-4HL Cushion Tire 4 Wheel Sit Down (Indoor Warehouse)

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Posts
    2,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    No it wasn't.... and don't try and edit it in now as we will know. Or maybe it was in your mind but your typing fingers were just slam wore out after the tedium of blurting out six words ?
    Kinda,

    I got a package I wasn't expecting for a day or two and went off to play! Air leveling valve for my truck

    If that Toyota is really what your looking for EXCEPT the cage, consider choping the top.

    Steve


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •