Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    A Ruthmann Schrghubwagen

Only front wheel drive. Does that matter?
    Could be an advantage. The rear suspension looks highly stressed already and just cushioning the load seems enough work. Speed is probably not an issue so a lighter drive train might be appropriate.

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    Terrible for several reasons.
    1. Why put the bed on the ground to lift it again? Every movement is an opportunity for disaster so why add those opportunities?
    2. Roll off containers are primarily secured to the truck by their weight. Most originally had hooks of sorts but most that I see are broken or burned off. If the machine is not perfectly centered on the container you cold lose the load. Might still be secured to the container but why take the chance?
    I just identified the type of trucks that lower beds to the ground. That said, both hook lift and roll off trucks have rails that securely capture the body to the truck. I have never used a roll or hook lift and it would be a rare situation where one would be needed but, I do so the value in it. The likelihood of a deck flipping is about the same as a tilt bed car hauler, once the bed is on the track it is following a rail that traps the body like a drawer slide.

The value would be where a roll off platform was pushed or towed to an area where a machine or equipment was that was too low for a truck or forklift to access. Jack up the load and slide the platform under it, secure the load and tow it to the truck. Would it work for a top heavy machine or asymmetrical load? Most of the platforms are for bulk materials not highly concentrated loads. Not my personal choice but, an option in odd cases.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The advantage I see with a hook-lift flatbed is loading machinery that has a small footprint relative to height and is top heavy. Winching something like that on a steeply sloped roll-off would run the risk of the machine tipping over to a side.

On a hook-lift, machine is pushed onto a horizontal deck and secured before the deck starts going diagonal.

4. Likes Joe Miranda, Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a hook-lift, machine is pushed onto a horizontal deck and secured before the deck starts going diagonal.
    On a cable-lift roll-off, which is what I was referring to, the bed can be placed on the ground exactly like as on a hook-lift truck. The bed does not need to incline much, maybe 30*, with a competent operator to get the deck back onto the chassis.

6. Likes digger doug, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    My vote is for a Sikorsky Sky Crane.
    Some guys built a trimaran in my front yard once ... went pretty fast, they worked on it all day and night. When it was done they had a chopper take it away. What with permits, cranes, trucks and riggers the helicopter was cheaper.

The lift was pretty impressive Those guys don't fiddle around, they get hooked up then they GO !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Some guys built a trimaran in my front yard once ... went pretty fast, they worked on it all day and night. When it was done they had a chopper take it away. What with permits, cranes, trucks and riggers the helicopter was cheaper.

The lift was pretty impressive Those guys don't fiddle around, they get hooked up then they GO !
    If you've ever watched or read about them doing "Heli Logging" they usually tell what the hourly rate is, hence
    the "No dilly Dally" policy.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    If you've ever watched or read about them doing "Heli Logging" they usually tell what the hourly rate is, hence the "No dilly Dally" policy.
    Oh, I got that but was still surprised that they hoisted and got the hell out of there so fast. It wasn't slow and careful like I expected, it was hook up, get tension then pedal down hard.

But thinking about it for ten seconds, you can understand why. Hovering sucks, and that thing hanging a hundred feet below is a big pendulum, so up up and away is smarter and safer.

Just never thought about it before ... it was pretty neat, actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hovering doesn't just "suck" it's a very dangerous condition if the fan should quit.
    Helicopter height–velocity diagram - Wikipedia

11. Likes Peter from Holland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes, but you can't "Crash sand dunes" with it....

and then there's always that pesky thing called "cost".

I'll bet you could buy a nice 30k rollback wrecker for the same money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about nasa's transporters.
    Crawler-transporter - Wikipedia

Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one here fancies a knuckleboom crane, possibly mounted on a hooklift truck?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Schnabel car - Wikipedia for really big stuff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WILLEO6709 View Post
    Pete 379 powered by a 15 liter Cummins with an 18 speed and 5 axle Rgn double drop
    You had me at Pete 379. You lost me at cummins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    yes, but you can't "Crash sand dunes" with it....

and then there's always that pesky thing called "cost".

I'll bet you could buy a nice 30k rollback wrecker for the same money.
    I would never get that, cost rules it out, plus it's just too limiting for its cost. I would rather get the Ruthmann cargoloader from Germany.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    You mean like a Palfinger? What capacity are the ones typically found on flat bed single rear axle trucks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it was ewlsey that pointed out that with the weight of those palfingers and our bridge laws, they can't carry much of a load before they are illegal.

Meaning to move a machine tool of any real size. Your talking using the palfinger to load another truck.

I dont know what the capacity of those typically are, but if your going to have to use it just to load another truck, why not hire a convential truck crane that probably has more lifting capacity for the same truck foot print.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This Palfinger says it can lift 4400lb, no doubt at its shortest outreach. Says the dead weight is 460lbs.
    PC 27 Compact - Lifetime Excellence

Dead weight = weight of the knuckle boom?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a quick google turned up this from Hiab - HIAB XS 111 | Loader Crane | Hiab
    Says 10 tons per meter, I assume that means 1 ton at it's 33 ft. reach. Shows a weight of 2380 lbs and a lifting capacity of 700040 lbs. Seems almost too good to be true, but the ones I've seen in action seemed very capable with little signs of strain. I had a Douglas slotter delivered by a dealer, he parked in my driveway and set the machine inside my door with the crane. My heavy equipment mechanic lifts all sorts of heavy items onto his F800 that already has a loaded utility body on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a quick google turned up this from Hiab - HIAB XS 111 | Loader Crane | Hiab
    Says 10 tons per meter, I assume that means 1 ton at it's 33 ft. reach. Shows a weight of 2380 lbs and a lifting capacity of 700040 lbs. Seems almost too good to be true, but the ones I've seen in action seemed very capable with little signs of strain. I had a Douglas slotter delivered by a dealer, he parked in my driveway and set the machine inside my door with the crane. My heavy equipment mechanic lifts all sorts of heavy items onto his F800 that already has a loaded utility body on it.
    What was the weight of the slotter? About how big was that truck? Did that truck also carry the slotter? And how far was he setting the slotter from the truck?

There has to be an extra zero on that load capacity.

35tons on that truck would most certainly blow all the tires, and probably shatter the axles and frame. I have a 40 ton truck crane, not only is it dual tandem 14x20's rears(what ever the old unidirectional military tires are), but it's also twin steer at the front. The frame of a class 5 truck and a 35-40 ton truck crane are TOTALLY different, one will be a normal truck frame, the other made out of 1" plate.

I've got an F800 digger derrick truck, it's got pretty typical specs, 11R22.5s 33,000lb GVW. It's load chart says it'll do 17,000lbs at 4'. But getting that close to a load would be next to impossible, so effective capacity is probably only around 10,000lbs. And then not only would 10,000lb load on that make you overloaded, they is no room on the truck for a 10,000lbs machine (going off the size of my 10,000lb machines). The boom on the back of my F800 is rear mounted and stored sticking out over the truck cab, and IIRC I can't even walk underneath boom without ducking. That boom takes up a TON of deck space, I probably 6' of flat deck space on a 15' or 16' bed, grated the hydo tank and tool box take up a bunch of space.

I'll edit in a picture when I have a second.

I don't remember the exact weight, but when I had the truck licensed I had to get the exact empty weight at a certified scale. That truck weights 24,000-25,000 lbs empty.

EDIT: Opening up that PDF shows a load chart, much more reasonable numbers there. Looks like the HIAB XS-111 will do 7280 at about 5', with it being center mounted I doubt that would even get you outside the outriggers.