What's new
What's new

Ultimate machinery hauling vehicles

Spud

Diamond
A thread on ultimate machinery hauling vehicles.

I'll start it off with the Ruthmann Cargoloader, which has been mentioned here before.
CARGOLOADER(R) | RUTHMANN

Hoping this thread will feature info on special trucks that are well suited for hauling machinery? Milacron's ex-medical equipment transporting box truck comes to mind.

Rollbacks are pretty high on the list.

I've seen those overhead beam trucks and trailer scaled up to the size of tri-axle trucks (large culverts/septics/etc), but I think I'd still pick a rollback.

Those drop deck trailer deals from Sunbelt are pretty darn handy for small stuff.

73,000 lbs of iron in just those 4 pictures.

Attachments

• 1229141244.jpg
    1229141244.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCF5351.jpg
    DSCF5351.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 473
  • 0620160901.jpg
    0620160901.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 0301171349.jpg
    0301171349.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 536
Rollbacks are pretty high on the list.

I've seen those overhead beam trucks and trailer scaled up to the size of tri-axle trucks (large culverts/septics/etc), but I think I'd still pick a rollback.

Those drop deck trailer deals from Sunbelt are pretty darn handy for small stuff.

73,000 lbs of iron in just those 4 pictures.

What kind diesel mpg do those single rear axle roll-backs get on the freeway?

I presume the machines are placed on skates? if so how do you get them to track straight?

I once had a rollback unload a Genie manlift from the bed of the rental pickup truck and then lower it to the ground. I don't recal how he managed to keep it tracking straight when it was lowered. The manlift had built in wheels; 2 wheels were swiveling and 2 weren't.

What kind diesel mpg do those single rear axle roll-backs get on the freeway?

I presume the machines are placed on skates? if so how do you get them to track straight?

Most of the modern dump trucks ive been in (same size truck), seem to get 5-7mpg. Im not the most authoritative on that though.

And no, no skates. If you've never seen it done, its its kinda hard to imagine, but the truck does all the loading with the winch and the machine sitting on the steel deck.

If your really worries about friction, a little used motor oil or soap makes that a null issue.

As far as tracking straight as long as you get the machine lined up right to start with. a straight pull with the winch should be enough to get it. But if you do need to move the machine on the truck, you just chain it down enough to not slide back down the bed, and either mess with how your attaching the hook to the machine or brake out a snatch block so you can pull from the side of the truck bed.

Last edited:
Most of the modern dump trucks ive been in (same size truck), seem to get 5-7mpg. Im not the most authoritative on that though.

And no, no skates. Never skates, its you've never seen it done its its kinda hard to imagine, but the truck does all the loading with the winch and the machine sitting on the steel deck.

If your really worries about friction, a little used motor oil or soap makes that a null issue.

As far as tracking straight as long as you get the machine lined up right to start with. a straight pull with the winch should be enough to get it. But if you do need to move the machine on the truck, you just chain it down enough to not slide back down the bed, and either mess with how your attaching the hook to the machine or brake out a snatch block so you can pull from the side of the truck bed.

Without some kind of wheels or cylindrical bar stock, wouldn't the machines get scrapped when winching? What about all the vibration , wouldn't that damage high precision machine tools?

Do the rollback get 5-7mpg when they are hauling cars ?

Without some kind of wheels or cylindrical bar stock, wouldn't the machines get scrapped when winching? What about all the vibration , wouldn't that damage high precision machine tools?

Huhhh? The bottom of the feet or the base of the machine contact the truck bed.

And model it out, at the start of the winching process the load will only be contacting at two points at either end of the machine, one on the truck, the other on the ground. Can't even use rollers on that situation, just no where to put them.

The coefficent of friction between a steel deck and a cast iron machine base is pretty small, even less so when you add some lubricant into the equation. And most of these old machines are pretty greasy to begin with. Maybe skates, but bar stock rollers I doubt it, at least now with the machines I've moved.

And as far as damaging the machines when they get winched on a rollback? I think your overthinking this a little. Most of the machines I save are days from scrap, and considering the stresses the rolling elements would see in use, some gentle wincing probably won't hurt them.

John Oder moved the P&W 3B jig bore on a rollback, dosent seem to have hurt any spindle brearings.

I'm taking about the bigger semi tractor tambien rollbacks, which generally haul heavy equipment not cars, so I have no idea the fuel mileage when they would be next to empty.

The smaller single axle car hauler deals would probably get better MPG, closer to what a pickup would get.

Last edited:
Landolls are a lot more common here than big rollbacks. I have moved 2 near 40K machines on landolls without forklifts. One I needed a versalift to load a 36K lb boring mill then pick up the landoll with the boring mill on top and walk it out of the building into an alleyway.

I use skates.

I've never loaded a single axle roll back, always the tandem variety, but in all cases we dropped the deck completely down onto the floor and lifted the machines on with a crane or forklift, chained and then tilted the deck back onto the truck. If the machine is sufficiently rigged to survive the incline of the bed, it's not going anywhere on the open road. With the deck on the floor the machine is only raised about 8"-10".

alskdjfhg, I reckon that single-axle F550 drop deck is overloaded w/that lathe on it.

My vote is for a Sikorsky Sky Crane.

Erickson-Inc-Global-Aviation-Services-Company-08-1.jpg

I've never loaded a single axle roll back, always the tandem variety, but in all cases we dropped the deck completely down onto the floor and lifted the machines on with a crane or forklift, chained and then tilted the deck back onto the truck. If the machine is sufficiently rigged to survive the incline of the bed, it's not going anywhere on the open road. With the deck on the floor the machine is only raised about 8"-10".

alskdjfhg, I reckon that single-axle F550 drop deck is overloaded w/that lathe on it.

Those rollbacks that place their decks completely flat on the ground are uncommon; almost all the ones I see can only slope their decks.

The trucks that lower the deck to the ground are actually hook lift trucks with a platform deck, the same kind of truck that hauls roll off dumpsters.

Steve

Terrible for several reasons.
1. Why put the bed on the ground to lift it again? Every movement is an opportunity for disaster so why add those opportunities?
2. Roll off containers are primarily secured to the truck by their weight. Most originally had hooks of sorts but most that I see are broken or burned off. If the machine is not perfectly centered on the container you cold lose the load. Might still be secured to the container but why take the chance?

Back