What's new
What's new

Ways to keep a load from sliding on forks?

jfon101231

Plastic
Hi all, have lurked on the forum a while but now have a question I was hoping I could get some insight on.

I have a skidsteer with a set of quick attach 48" forks on it. I often use the machine to lift things by scooping up with one piece of metal on top of the forks and the rest of the weight hanging down. The issue/concern I have with that is items can slide in and out on the forks based on how the forks are angled, sometimes sticking and then moving quickly. This is more difficult at higher boom heights where I can't easily tell whether forks are level. I don't want the loads to crash towards the machine and damage something (or too far/fast the other way and fall off the forks). Are there any suggestions? I can only thing of 3 ideas:

1) There are some companies out there that make non-slip "pads" for the forks. Downside is I do need them to be able to slide SOME, because that is how I can control how far away from the machine the load is for placing it into pickup bed etc, and seems like those might increase the stickiness too much and make it even less predictable?

2) I could get a D-ring welded onto the carriage. With a chain etc, this would limit travel outwards only.

3) I could get someone to drill or burn a few holes in the forks and mount some sort of "blocking" to limit movement. This would not decrease the speed it might slide in or out, but at least prevent it from going off the end or coming too close to the machine and damaging the load (or machine)

Welcome thoughts on those choices or any other options I haven't thought of!

How about some rubber pads for the forks?

Or maybe instead of welding you cant just clamp a block/2x4 onto the end after the part is mounted. Heck if its not super big you could clamp the part directly.

In general, there's a reason most goods moved by forklifts are strapped to wooden pallets. In addition to making it easy to get the forks under the wood has a high coefficient of friction. Steel on steel is the worst case and extra caution is required. Always keep some rearward tilt on the forks and always back down a ramp or rise. Even scraps of canvas or rubberized tarp (not slippery PVC) can help increase friction.

Other than that never be in a hurry with a potentially slippery load and if its really dicey strap or chain it to the bucket to prevent sliding. All the extra time "lost" in extra safety precautions will be worth it vs one serious accident.

DO NOT modify the forks!

Edit: Just sunk in about skidsteer. I've seen a few accidents where an operator inadvertently pressed the pedals while going over rough terrain. In the worst case one snagged the bucket while driving down a mild slope and stood the machine up on the bucket before crashing back down. By chance I was heading for the same area in the opposite direction and got a front row seat. The machine was severely damaged and put out of commission.

Google lifting beams for forklioft, then make one. Moving top heavy machinery on weak wooden pallets is a really bad idea that usually ends in disaster.

I had professional riggers move in my large mill and they put wood flats (apparently cut from plywood) between the forks and the machine ram. No issues with sliding, nor with scarring machine ways. It also helped that an 18-year-old wasn't driving the forklift.

Small strips of wood, or in a pinch cardboard works, between load and forks. If no helper than a little duct tape with hold the wood or cardboard in place until loaded.

I clamp a couple of C clamps to the forks, one in front and one behind the load to act as a stop. Of coarse I use some real clamps such as Wilton, Armstrong, etc. that can be tightened enough that it would take a mallet blow to move them.
Dan

I kept a few c clamps handy and a chain to tie load back to mast.
do not burn a hole in your forks, that is a big OSHA no no. the tip can break off and hurt someone

A skidsteer is a good off road forklift for anything you don't mind dropping and picking up a second time. If it is a sensitive load I'd use something other than a skidsteer.

If I wanted something robust but removable I think I would make oak 2 x 6 that would bolt around the forks. If I wanted something that would last a year or so but non-removable I'd try Rhino truck lining.

I have seen forklift 'tips' that are like a pocket that goes over the end of the fork, with a couple loops welded on that allows either ratchet strap or chain attachment, pulling the tip tighter on the fork. Once secured, it can give you purchase for chains/straps to contain both fore and aft movement. That plus the wood, rubber, or cardboard under the load will help control the always-slick steel-on-steel interface.

Chip

Wow, knew I could count on you guys!!!

Additional info for reference - level area, no hills, but its a dirt/weed side yard so does have some bumps/ruts.
Items moved are snowplows, 800-1200lbs, approx 5ft high, 50" deep, and 7.5-10ft long when upright. I had been tipping them over onto the blade face and putting forks through the back frame "slot"
Adding a pallet to the mix creates other issues for loading and subsequent transport (4x4 pallet with an 8-10ft load on it that can't be fully balanced).

@ nihilistic, Danny VanVoorn - I did think about clamping directly to fork, to the part, or to a block, should have listed that. Wasn't sure how well it would hold though against a force banging into it? I.e. false feeling of safety. If the item in question is call it 900 lbs, would a clamp hold? The only other issue with a 'stop' chain/clamp/block is it doesn't allow sloping the item off at all unless I disconnect chain, which I could do when its in rough position I guess (i.e. in the truck bed and now just need to center it), then continue with final placement...

@ gbent - I don't have a concrete/asphalt pad where I can store a regular forklift machine, so can't really use a forklift unless it was a big (expensive) all-terrain version. BUT - you make two EXCELLENT suggestions, really really like the rhino liner, thinking that is a great idea. The oak is also good but would require drilling a hole or two into the forks (knew one was a big no-no, couldn't remember if it was burning or drilling offhand LOL) and could get too slippery when wet.

@ Chip Chester - that is interesting, don't happen to have a name or link do you?

@ hermetic - thanks for suggestion of 'lifting beam'. See below RE: tree boom which is probably a step up do to the ability to tilt out.

I think I'm down to one or maybe both of the following:
1) GBent's idea for a rhino type lining. Allows some slippage, but much less and should be slower/more predictable, and compared to some other materials hold up well and be less affected by rain/snow (compared to cardboard, wood, etc)

2) Tree boom - just grabbed one to try from a friend that sells Tomahawk stuff. There is no spec'd capacity but I assume I'm well within its limits (its made from 1/4" thick 4x4" tube with 1/4" QA mount plate and 1/2" upper hook plate. Weighs 175 lbs) I need to use it a bit more, but seems to be a good solution. Obviously 'bucket' tilt allows the load to be placed further out with SS controls, no need to leave machine with load in the air. I may need to get it modified so it has a bit more 'static' reach so I don't have to tilt/raise as far? I do like that it provides ability to pick them up from back like I always have, or with a couple hooks, from the steel moldboard itself or the upper point of the headgear between the lights.

Attachments

• plow pic.jpg
    plow pic.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 158
  • boom.jpg
    boom.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 155

Back